143 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

Time for another wake up call I guess.

FF VII spent over 150 mill on advertising alone in the early 90's. Budgets have grown way more than that today to put it mildly.

Star Citizen has made between 400 and 800 YouTube videos and yet not produced much of a game yet.

See the FF series doesn't start boasting or collecting money until the game is done and when they make a video that looks like they are selling a car, they really are selling a car. :)

I guess time will tell how good Star Citizen is. I hope its great actually, contrary to my negative reply.

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 September 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#42 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostPyckenZot, on 18 September 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

What a load of **** SC isn't doing anything like that. They are giving you a crowdfunding option and, in some cases, asking A LOT of hard earned cash for it. That is it!

You can get access into SC for just 50-ish dollar. Every single ship sold so far, you will be able to get in the game later with ingame cash. The (life time) insurance has been nerfed into the ground years ago so there as well you have a moot point. Besides, EVE online uses a similar insurance system.

Back on topic.
In the early days, MWO made nice vids to sell new mechs. I can only assume they found out the effort wasn't worth the benefits. Us mechgeeks will buy whatever they throw our way. Posted Image

"They're not selling ships for hundreds of dollars, they're just giving you the option of buying ships for hundreds of dollars!" Posted Image

This is why we can't have nice things.

#43 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

I'm... not really sure you want to bring up FF15 in any discussion involving good game development. It was just a tach cursed. Ultimately successful, yes, but cursed all the same.

#44 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

Yep I doubt I will play FF XV for a number of reasons. The FF VII remake doesn't look so great either so far. Maybe I am missing something.

Either way my point is Star Citizen isn't as successful as some claim. In how many dollars they have brought in or their ability to actually produce a playable game.

So far they are very successful at making YouTube videos only.

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 September 2017 - 10:17 AM.

#45 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 18 September 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

FF VII spent over 150 mill on advertising alone in the early 90's. Budgets have grown way more than that today to put it mildly.

Care to back that up? All the numbers I'm pulling up put advertising at about 100 million, development at about 50 million.

As for Star Citizen and game costs in general, Wikipedia has a rough list of the most expensive games ever produced (It's not an official lists, but it will give us a good idea of how this works).

https://en.wikipedia...ames_to_develop

If we considered Star Citizen's current funding level the 'production costs,' they'd rank in at Number 6 on that list. Beating out games like Destiny, GTA4, Max Payne 3, and Red Dead Redemption.

Star Citizen is massively successful already. Assuming they don't owe the bank 100+ million, anyway, but I'm guessing no one here has their financial records.

EDIT: Unrelated... Deadpool cost THAT MUCH? I mean, I liked the game, but it wasn't that great. Licensing fees, maybe?

Edited by Bombast, 18 September 2017 - 10:39 AM.

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 18 September 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

https://robertsspace...phony-In-Motion

So, the above link leads to a brochure for a new ship in the Star Citizen videogame.. scroll down and open the brochure..

By the looks of it, you'd think you were buying a real-life Mercedes, or yacht. It's got all the trimmings of luxury, style, immersion..

Every little detail is thoroughly exaggerated, hyped, and portrayed in maximum style, and after just seeing the brochure - I WANNA PLAY THE GAME.

PGI, why don't you make brochures like this for mechs? Why don't you put this much effort into anything in this game?

You could learn a lot from Star Citizen and Robert's Space Industries..

Those people are not selling a videogame.. they are selling a lifestyle!

P.S.

The brochure is better than many I've seen in real life.. omg, my mouth is watering from seeing this..

Um... and stuff like this is why no one knows when or if Star Citizen will actually launch.

#47 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

PGI is a very small Studio from Russ and Bryan (before the jarhead Studio for lowest Product PC Games)...since 16 Years and MWO the fist Game with a little sucess ...most only Console Games converted ..the first Big Game ...Die Hard:Nakotami place was a Disaster in each way

By SC coming to Horizon ...PGIs Answer was Transverse ..Great Words from Russ ...We have the WC Licencse..and a short End of Transverse after a HP and a trailer and no enough Founder for Russ Dream

https://www.reddit.c...mander_license/
https://www.pcgamesn...line-its-sci-fi

PGI more in the Gaming industry what Asylum Studio for the Movie Industry

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 18 September 2017 - 11:05 AM.

#48 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:55 AM

Comparing MWO to vaporware like Star Suckers is hilarious!

#49 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

It doesn't matter how Star Citizen dresses up their ridiculously expensive ship sales. That's some shet I'm never going to buy into.

I don't think dressing up mech packs is going to take people off the fence. What they need is a new engine and the cash to do it.

#50 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 18 September 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

It doesn't matter how Star Citizen dresses up their ridiculously expensive ship sales. That's some shet I'm never going to buy into.

I don't think dressing up mech packs is going to take people off the fence. What they need is a new engine and the cash to do it.

but some folks love to put lipstick on their pigs......

#51 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 September 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

but some folks love to put lipstick on their pigs......

Hey. Don't judge what people do in the privacy of their own homes with sexy pigs.

#52 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 18 September 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

https://robertsspace...phony-In-Motion

So, the above link leads to a brochure for a new ship in the Star Citizen videogame.. scroll down and open the brochure..

By the looks of it, you'd think you were buying a real-life Mercedes, or yacht. It's got all the trimmings of luxury, style, immersion..

Every little detail is thoroughly exaggerated, hyped, and portrayed in maximum style, and after just seeing the brochure - I WANNA PLAY THE GAME.

PGI, why don't you make brochures like this for mechs? Why don't you put this much effort into anything in this game?

You could learn a lot from Star Citizen and Robert's Space Industries..

Those people are not selling a videogame.. they are selling a lifestyle!

P.S.

The brochure is better than many I've seen in real life.. omg, my mouth is watering from seeing this..
because only freebirth scum care about fluffy pillows and shinny rims...

#53 dario03

• Colonel
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

How much work would that actually take though? Make a couple of templates, then fill in with a couple of pictures and a little text. And there you go, a nice looking little piece of fluff that a bunch of the lore guys would really like.

#54 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

Because PGI didn't get over $50,000,000 in kickstarter EDIT: crowdfunding funds and then go on to sell ships for $400 a pop.

Considering the last time PGI went for crowdfunding and I'm not even sure they crossed $5,000, much less $5,000,000...that's why PGI can't do it like this. They're considered based on the products they made, and this meant not too much credit in the community beyond what you see here for an older game that they have difficulty accessing their own coding to fix/improve.

Plus, the whole IGP thing before that, and people pointing out they'd been using MWO revenue for an entirely new game instead of fixing the one they had. Reputation and a well-built product line is what gets crowdfunding.

#55 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 18 September 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

Considering the last time PGI went for crowdfunding and I'm not even sure they crossed $5,000, much less $5,000,000...that's why PGI can't do it like this. They're considered based on the products they made, and this meant not too much credit in the community beyond what you see here for an older game that they have difficulty accessing their own coding to fix/improve.

Plus, the whole IGP thing before that, and people pointing out they'd been using MWO revenue for an entirely new game instead of fixing the one they had. Reputation and a well-built product line is what gets crowdfunding.

I've spent money on Star Citizen, more than I have on MWO in fact. For one thing, it has Chris Roberts name on it and that means something. For another, I want to be a part of the process even if it falls through. It might end up being some gigantic money grab like something from EVE Online. But what if it's not? I am willing to make that gamble.

I gambled on MWO as well and lost, which is why I don't spend any more money here. PGI has proven they aren't reliable, SC still has some hope.

#56 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

Tldr, didn't bother, star citizen is a Ponzi scheme bro, save your money :3, buy moar mechpacks :3

#57 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

View PostShadowHimself, on 18 September 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

Tldr, didn't bother, star citizen is a Ponzi scheme bro, save your money :3, buy moar mechpacks :3

Even if one were inclined to call Star Citizen a farce, it's definitely not a Ponzi Scheme. A Ponzi Scheme is a very specific kind of fraudulent.

Some of you guys really need learn that words mean things.

Unrelated, stop saying every loss is 'NASCAR.' NASCARing (In this game) is when the teams circle around a terrain feature, perpetually tying to flank each other. It's not a blanket term for bad team positioning, or just dumb moves.

Ok, rant over.

Edited by Bombast, 18 September 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#58 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

Was being silly, hence do you wanna buy a mech pack, just bored waiting for pgi to toss them etc hammer, I mean patch notes :3

#59 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

View PostSource Mystic, on 18 September 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

My post is based on facts

FACT one matchmaker is turned off this causes a environment that is not fun for anyone and make new peopl leave.
FACT two the quirk system is directly linked to their business model to make money thus they make choices to change quirks based on what is good for there balance in their account not any balance in the game.
FACT three this is substantiated by the fact that all mechs bought with real money are over quirked and then nerfed when they are bought for c-bill.

Good luck I can over look alot but the point that games become death ball slaughter or be slaughtered every game takes the fun out of the game and I would rather spend my time at something that challenges me.

FACT: Saying FACT repeatedly, does not make anything a FACT.

Silly OP...PGI doesn't need brochures, they had GOLD MECHS for us to drool over;

Posted Image

#60 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

View PostBombast, on 18 September 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

Care to back that up? All the numbers I'm pulling up put advertising at about 100 million, development at about 50 million.

As for Star Citizen and game costs in general, Wikipedia has a rough list of the most expensive games ever produced (It's not an official lists, but it will give us a good idea of how this works).

https://en.wikipedia...ames_to_develop

If we considered Star Citizen's current funding level the 'production costs,' they'd rank in at Number 6 on that list. Beating out games like Destiny, GTA4, Max Payne 3, and Red Dead Redemption.

Star Citizen is massively successful already. Assuming they don't owe the bank 100+ million, anyway, but I'm guessing no one here has their financial records.

EDIT: Unrelated... Deadpool cost THAT MUCH? I mean, I liked the game, but it wasn't that great. Licensing fees, maybe?

That FF VII spent 150 mill on advertising in the 90's is found the same place that shows Fallout 4 made over 750 million on launch day, although it doesnt show how much Fallout 4 made by day 2, or since then 2 years later. On www.gamespot.com

What Star Citizen has made is chicken feed in any sense of the word. Quite literally since they cant seem to make a game at all.

Edited by Johnny Z, 18 September 2017 - 07:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users