35 replies to this topic

#21 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

View PostFupDup, on 23 September 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

So TL;DR, people aren't being as "sporty" as they say they are.

Considering almost half of the people in any given match exit the match before its over, that's not too shabby (And of course, people on the losing team are less likely to stick around, simply because there's less of them alive).

Edited by Bombast, 23 September 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#22 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

View PostBombast, on 23 September 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

Considering almost half of the people in any given match exit the match before its over, that's not too shabby (And of course, people on the losing team are less likely to stick around, simply because there's less of them alive).

Even if half of them have left, you'd still see a ratio closer to 2:1 (or less, really -- winners leave too.)

#23 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostBombast, on 23 September 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

That and my small sample size make me more inclined to trust the Overwatch data set for now, but even then it's interesting that MWO's GG ratio is so close to the Overwatch GG ratio.

#24 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

it's just basic politeness to greet teammates before the match with a simple GLHF or o7 and a gg or good job/nice work/nice try at the end of a match.

Salty comments not appreciated.

#25 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

View PostFearThePaladin, on 23 September 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

I love to use GG for every match. There lately have been a lot of rolls where its 12 -0 or 12 - 2 etc. In this game a roll happens quickly once you are down 3 or 4 mechs any good team will push and its over.

One time I was playing got rolled and someone said "GG" and someone else replied that it was not. Its kind of rude but at the same time so true. No one likes to get rolled.

A while later on another roll someone said "Thanks for PLaying". I like it...

I started using that and now on the occasional roll I will say TFP. I do not know if anyone knows what I am saying and with the F in their I hope no one thinks its salty language.

So any way, I wanted to post this so that if you happen to roll someone maybe you will consider the TFP or something like that instead of GG.

We all know how a roll feels.

Best of luck, unless you are opposing me
Paladin

Ugh, I hate that people get so precious about a sincere GG at the end of a match.

It doesn't matter if it was a stomp, or a 4-12, or run down to the final seconds 749-750 on conquest. It's a gesture of sportsmanship. Having to pander to people's insecurities about their performance shouldn't get in the way of some good natured camaraderie.

Someone refuses to shake their opponents hand at the end of a tennis match, and twitter explodes, before internet lynch mobs form and start howling at their virtual door. "HOW DARE THEY SHOW SUCH POOR SPORTSMANSHIP!"

Say GG to someone in MWO and there's always someone on the losing side that thinks you've just offered to exhume the corpse of their favourite dearly departed pet and turn it into a codpiece.

#26 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:42 PM

For stomps I'll type thx for game if anything at all

#27 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:48 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 23 September 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Going to presume you are being sincere here.

However some players are not. Some use GG as a means of insulting people on the opposing team, their own or both. So what you look at and may think is decency might actually be a condescension from them.

That is why I only use GG or similar for closer games, other times I tried to say nothing.

TFP would be used the same way by the same players.

"ggclose" is the insult, not "gg".

#28 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:56 PM

I love to use GG for every match. There lately have been a lot of rolls where its 12 -0 or 12 - 2 etc. In this game a roll happens quickly once you are down 3 or 4 mechs any good team will push and its over.

One time I was playing got rolled and someone said "GG" and someone else replied that it was not. Its kind of rude but at the same time so true. No one likes to get rolled.

I started using that and now on the occasional roll I will say TFP. I do not know if anyone knows what I am saying and with the F in their I hope no one thinks its salty language.

So any way, I wanted to post this so that if you happen to roll someone maybe you will consider the TFP or something like that instead of GG.

Paladin

Tfp is better I think;) I HATE to see gg. Gg means good game, meaning the game was a good one. A game is good when it was good for both teams, a close win or loss.
Just spamming it at the end after you have mauled enemy 12-4 or worse is nasty....I usually say something like "sorry that was one sided."
Take sportsmanship or absent minded sportsmanship isn't needed. Better to see thanks for the game if you really feel the need to say something.....
And pointing out the wasn't a gg isn't being rude-just because you feel it was a gg doesn't mean they do!

Edited by Jon Gotham, 23 September 2017 - 11:58 PM.

#29 9thDeathscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 563 posts
  • LocationDown Under. 260 pinging.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:59 AM

Easy.

If its a roll. Shut ur mouth and say nothing

If its close say 8-12 area then GG is aplicable.

#30 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:23 AM

I will use BG, but its never because of outcome, I base it on how i felt i did. In a roll, i can feel i was doing pretty awesome only to suddenly notice there are 6 mechs looking at me and then it dawns on me that we've been rolled. then of course, its time to go down swinging. On the contrast though I can have a winning game where I contributed absolutely nothing to the match(launched a uav that got shot down immediately or rounded a corner while trying to scout for my team and found the ENTIRE line of assaults dying immediately). Those games I will say BG. Its not intended to insult people, im mostly just talking to myself then.

#31 AJBennett

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 165 posts
  • Location...the psychotic chihuahua chewing on your leg!

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:49 AM

I just put a "<o" in chat, nice...generic...and hard to take as anything else.

...it stems from something I read that said "...any enemy that faces you in battle is to be honored...".

Edited by AJBennett, 26 September 2017 - 05:11 AM.

#32 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

Paladin

I've been saying this for years. A roll is NOT a good game for anyone. Thank the clay pigeons for the match and the Cbills, but don't call it a good game when it's not.

However, all the sportsball "sportsmanship" people keep digging in their heels that "GG" is always fine and totally shows how much they care. Apparently a full sentence is too much effort, but "GG" shows plenty of genuine love. I don't get it.

#33 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

GG could be short for Good God. Just say'n

#34 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

One time I remember rolling a team 12-0 on Canyon Network.

One of our teammates had the audacity to say gg - I promptly said bg and about half of the team agreed. none of us liked rolling the other team. we wanted a fight, we got none instead, and hoped for a better match.

Why MM is still broken is beyond me. it doesn't have to do with player population either. If needed, force better players to play with others of their caliber.

#35 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:43 AM

View PostMystere, on 23 September 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

"ggclose" is the insult, not "gg".

Not anymore.
In several games, GG and GJ are being used sarcastically/insultingly.

#36 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:53 AM

Being on the receiving end of a roll I, occasionally, am one of those that reply by saying a drop was not a gg when the rolling team generously states that.

My typical reply is: "not rly, but well done"

Why and when do I do this? When the blue team (or members of it) professionally ensured defeat. In such cases I find giving a gg too much of an honour for them,...

TL ; DR
Yes, Zot sometimes rages too Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users