94 replies to this topic

#81 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:56 PM

True, not just him... But if you got a "T1" next to your name - you should know/understand the game.

Emphasis on should.

But yes I remember the glory days of the BLKNT - It was OP as all hell.

#82 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

The black knight is pretty much in teh same boat that many other mechs have gotten into. One, the skill tree (and the constant nerfage) has relegated it to so-so status, two, the ONLY reason it was as crazy good as it was back during its high time, was its quirks, specifically weapon quirks. Its not DOA or anything, but like many have said, there are currently better options for laser vomit like the grasshopper or warhammer.

That said, its really not alone. Its clan counterpart, the timerwolf, has suffered almost as much since its been killed by the engine desyn. It never had exceptional hitboxes, but it could tank for days due to its twisting speed. Now, its not dead or anything, but id consider both the EBJ and HBR to be superior heavys in most circumstances (HBR is imo best clan heavy at this time when it comes to versatility/hitboxes).

Its really not a huge deal, and something im quite used to over the years ive played MMOs. This is also one of the reasons im very cautious with my money in games of this sort, since almost everything is subject to potential nerfs in one way or another and it really sucks to have something you spent real money on changed into something else (obviously lack of disposable income is my main factor, but the potential for stuff being nerfed to death and wasting money doesnt increase my incentives to spend).

#83 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

I want to drive my BL-6-KNT all the time because it looks like a total BAMF with the Resistance geometry and paint.

I almost always decide against it because, on the whole, I do only a little better in it than I do with my assaults, which are well below my personal spud line. I know it's not a bad 'Mech, but I sure as hell am bad with it.

#84 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:15 AM

View Postpanzer1b, on 27 September 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

The black knight is pretty much in teh same boat that many other mechs have gotten into. One, the skill tree (and the constant nerfage) has relegated it to so-so status, two, the ONLY reason it was as crazy good as it was back during its high time, was its quirks, specifically weapon quirks. Its not DOA or anything, but like many have said, there are currently better options for laser vomit like the grasshopper or warhammer.

I don't blame the skill tree, as the net effect was more of a buff to clan mechs than anything else. It's simply the Black Knight's SIZE combined with shooting from the hip with everything and it being ill suited to corner poke. Same play style as the Atlas, but with less firepower and toughness. A great pilot can make it work with the 20 extra kph the BK has over the Atlas, but alas, I am not a great pilot, and the ones I know would rather pilot something with less of a handicap.

#85 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

personally not a huge fan of it's aesthetics... it's just a little too lanky tall with a squat turtle turret head.

It just doesn't evoke the image of knight to me, much less black knight.

That concept art has it in spades though. Probably would be difficult to do in game, but it gives off more of a defender/knight vibe. The current model always makes me think of giraffes.

#86 rustyrat

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

I really would like The knight be good, but... nope.

If you consider the fun you can have from brawling marauder (ac20+stubs if not remembering wrong),
You can see how sub-par BLK really is for fw. Marauder pilot wants to get one more kill refusing to die, where BLK is still wondering could las vomit perform better than the odd placeds mpls... or vice versa.

I think you can fit it with 4-5 lpls, but for that weigth you can get something with better hardpoints etc..

#87 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

View Postrustyrat, on 28 September 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

I really would like The knight be good, but... nope.
If you consider the fun you can have from brawling marauder (ac20+stubs if not remembering wrong),
You can see how sub-par BLK really is for fw. Marauder pilot wants to get one more kill refusing to die, where BLK is still wondering could las vomit perform better than the odd placeds mpls... or vice versa.
I think you can fit it with 4-5 lpls, but for that weigth you can get something with better hardpoints etc..

If they bulked up the arm and legs a bit, and made the torso a little more elongated, then the resulting decrease in height may actually make it "good" enough to fit better at its Flashbulb 'role'.

#88 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

Unless they start adding unique quirks that actually do something unique. I don't see how they can make the Black Knight anymore unique.

If they wanted to distinguish it as brawler. They would just give the same quirks the last batch of brawler mechs got.

#89 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

Black knights are spectacular, if utilized correctly you can really pump out the dps. I really enjoy my black knight and if they had a clan equivalent i would most likely run that in faction war.

#90 A Shoddy Rental Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 590 posts
  • LocationOn my Island, There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

View PostThe Nerf Bat, on 19 October 2016 - 11:57 PM, said:

PGI hit the Black Knight with The Nerf Bat on 3 separate occasions.

The Feb 20 2016

PATCH NOTES - 1.4.53 - 16-FEB-2016
https://mwomercs.com...-1453-16feb2016

April 2016
Black Knight gets whacked
http://mwomercs.com/...rk%20Values.pdf

June 2016
Black Knight gets whacked again
http://static.mwomer...006-21-2016.pdf

Resize I.S. mechs get big

View PostBud Crue, on 27 September 2017 - 03:14 AM, said:

I would argue that the Skills Tree nerf and the removal of the weapon specific quirks on two of the variants (the PPC and ERPPC quirks) was a fourth occasion.

Moar whackage

6/20/2017 Black Knight gets whacked again

http://static.mwomer...re%20Quirks.pdf

5 times?

#91 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:26 AM

View PostThe Nerf Bat, on 28 September 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

Moar whackage
6/20/2017 Black Knight gets whacked again
http://static.mwomer...re%20Quirks.pdf

5 times?

Eh, one could argue that the Black Knight is also being buffed there. Yah it loses 5% energy x quirk here and there, but its trading up from its structure quirks for armor quirks which are far more useful.

#92 InvictusLee

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 September 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Black Kniggit can carry the most amount of las-vomit firepower with the most amount of DHS in the IS Heavy class. That's about it. BL-7-KNT LAZORRRZ!

I am personally waiting for our Lord and Savior, the FlashUrbie.

Posted Image

WTF IS THAT?!

#93 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,925 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

View PostAthom83, on 28 September 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

Eh, one could argue that the Black Knight is also being buffed there. Yah it loses 5% energy x quirk here and there, but its trading up from its structure quirks for armor quirks which are far more useful.

So then in that case 2 of them received this "trading up". Why nerf (again) the others? That extra sensor range sure as hell isn't a compensation for armor imho. Yet even as two the variants that were "buffed" in this manner, they are still inferior (again imho) to similarly built Hoppers or Hammers if for no other reason than hard point height (and perhaps also mech profile/target size).

Edited by Bud Crue, 28 September 2017 - 01:32 PM.

#94 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 28 September 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

Yet even as two the variants that were "buffed" in this manner, they are still inferior (again imho) to similarly built Hoppers...

Yeah. The Grasshopper's got better mobility and mounts than the Black Knight and gets to keep it's heat gen quirks too.

#95 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostNovember11th, on 28 September 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

WTF IS THAT?!

The Flashman. Fancy version of it.

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users