#101 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 15 October 2017 - 04:04 AM, said:

yeah, you could try that, but its as unreliable as hell ... you'll set one value ... and sometimes it will do it .... others it will be +/- 10 frames in that second ... which is pretty nasty when ur only locking in 60 fps ...

Ok, after a week now, my FPS in MWO has been amazing. The only place where I get an inexplicable FPS drop is on River City when it transitions from night to day and also if I am facing towards the sun. Yes, it looks nice, but some programmers need to look into why the sun and lighting effects are so taxing on even the best Gpu / CPU available today (many years after MWO came out).

Edited by Ed Steele, 15 October 2017 - 05:49 PM.

#102 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

if that's the majority of the issues you see, I'd probably just try turning off the sunshafts with
r_sunshafts = 0
in a user.cfg ....

the reason they run like ****, is because they always have done so, and its specific to the engine version of the fork we are stuck with .... the time of day system doesn't get prepared before its put into action, which tends to cause a pause if its started, or stopped ... and I don't think anything PGI could do would really affect the flaw in the early version of cryengine ... in later versions, they changed the methods and it probably runs smoother ... but were never going to get that into MWO, because they cant update the underlying version of cryengine, without re-doing everything from scratch .... the lesson being, when you fork code, make sure what you write is modular enough that it can be adapted to later versions ... otherwise your code is stuck in a bad time loop from 2013, as we are ... theres things you can do to improve the inner workings of the lighting systems, but there isn't much point, because it cant be fixed on the client side ....

then theres scratches, whats a scratch ? its the bit that makes a mech shake when you receive an impact .... for reasons that not even god herself could explain, they went with a method that includes the sun in calculations .... because the sun totally affects the screen shake ... just another example of a lack of forethought .... and the majority of lighting stuff isn't handed off to the GPU, that would be too taxing for 2013 hardware, its all done on the CPU, and on the assumption your going to be using a lower resolution than 1080p ....

maybe things will be better in MW5 ... but seeing as they've only talked about a single player campaign, its not really going to affect or help us at all ... I predict that 'eventually' they will port MWO into the unreal engine ( like in another 2-3 YEARS ), and its going to be as bad a mess as MWO is atm, because they don't believe in foreward thinking .... just knee jerk reactions and mech packs ....

still waiting for $1000 USD platinum mechs to become a thing, when everyone gets jack of paying them for no improvements, and they need to raise capital

#103 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

Well, I have been to lazy to edit my user.cfg, so I will live with it for now (at least the lighting looks nice). On a more positive note, though, I did finally get the rest of my case fans installed in my PC, so it runs at acceptable temperatures under any load now (and is even more blue now).

Edited by Ed Steele, 16 October 2017 - 05:11 PM.

#104 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:01 AM

The Win10 Fall Update seems to have Ryzen Optimizazions that improve the Perfromance pretty significantly like better Multicore Usage etc.
https://www.reddit.c...bmh&sh=f7284929

Quite some troublesome games run now like a charm...

#105 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

thanks for the info....i will check it out.

#106 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

I just remembered that I do not have my Windows power management set to performance, so that could be why I have the sunshaft problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users