105 replies to this topic

#61 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:35 AM

yeah, I've actually always used a DP 1.2 cable with this display, native on HDMI / DVI results in 30hz interlaced or something very pukey like that ... I've played around with a good HDMI cable the other day and was able to make 60 hz run over it, but it still has the baseline adaptive sync enabled .... looking deeper at the tech ( which is the ground level that g-sync and freesync evolved from ) it would probably be enabled even if I plugged in a DVI cable with this monitor .... its the way they wanted it to be, and you can only fight that so far ... so even if it says 160 fps, that's not what I get on screen, or what the capture software sees, it sees the frame stuttering, even though the stats don't ....

normal options like boosting the refresh rate and overdrive are pretty much out .... overdriving this monitor leaves me with ghosting and bonus input lag ... its very pukey ... which pretty much only leaves me the option of changing monitor, or attempting to leverage it to my advantage .... NVidia inspector lets me enable some gsync options not shown within the driver, so I'm poking through that for a while aswell ...

#62 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

That sounds like a lot of fun Narc. I just ran into my first issue with my mother board possibly? My Intel I211 Lan is not working... says disabled in the bios, windows 10 will not allow me to connect to the internet with the line plugged in. The higher speed Lan jack is working and the on board wifi. As it would seem, I can no longer update the bios using the bios download option. I guess the only one that allows you to do that is the Intel chipset. I am trying to figure this out.... wtf!? It just started like last week.... its rather odd.

Tested the line with my laptop, it works fine....something is wrong with Windows 10 or it is the Intel chipset.....

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 05 October 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#63 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:03 PM

well, disabled in the bios would generally stop it from working within windows .... asme as having it set to disabled in the task manager ... some of the bios update stuff can be weird in the built in bios updaters, some need certain sub options set in specific ways to connect to the internet, UEFI hasn't really made the 'whole' experience that much better ... but yknow, using the mouse suits some people ...

beyond that you might want to check the cable ... if its randomly strung over your house you should go over the whole length, if its short and straight to a router, make sure its firmly seated ... a few of my old cables can move by tiny amounts and all the pins stop connecting ... though a the gigabit networking generally drops to 100mbit which is no real issue at my end ...

beyond that a driver can cause issues ... not all are created equal, so you might want to check if windows decided to 'upgrade' it for you lately ...

#64 gaIaxor

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:05 AM

If you have a cat, check whether it has damaged the cable. That happened to me and others had similar problems with thier cat. May be they are fed up with us looking at cat memes and videos.^^

Posted Image

#65 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:06 AM

Ha ha.... Galaxor.... you so funny!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image No cats, that is not the issue.

I have traced the lines.... and I plugged the line into my laptop last night. It is working and not the issue. This all started when I did the clean install of Winblows on the new M.2 drive.... I did install the driver that came from AsRocks website for my mother board. Several days later, Windows did an update, and I also was able to upgrade the bios in the bios with the internet option... .so it could be the new 3.10 bios did something, or Winblows updating that did this. I am still trying to figure it out. Uninstalled the driver, and downloaded one from intel's website, reinstalled, still no love. There is not option in bios to enable the Intel chipset for Lan, just says disconnected.... wtf?

I built my own home, and wired everything..... so of course its all good, I am a professional. Posted Image

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 06 October 2017 - 04:10 PM.

#66 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

Well, I will be putting my new PC together tomorrow, it is not an AMD-based PC, but I will throw some benchmark numbers up as soon as I am able to for comparison.

View PostgaIaxor, on 06 October 2017 - 01:05 AM, said:

If you have a cat, check whether it has damaged the cable. That happened to me and others had similar problems with thier cat. May be they are fed up with us looking at cat memes and videos.^^

Posted Image

I hope that wasn't plugged in ;-)

#67 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

So what did you go with again? Insmell?
Posted Image

Its ok man, you can tell us.....

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 06 October 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#68 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:17 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 06 October 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

So what did you go with again? Insmell?
Posted Image

Its ok man, you can tell us.....

Yes, I took the safe-route and went Intel / Nvidia.

#69 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

Are you sure its the safe route? lol

#70 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

Well, my PC is mostly together and boots. AS Rock's choice of having a red LED stay lit on the PCB to indicate that you are running the "A" bios, is a bit hard to get used to and freaked me out at first until I Googled it and found out that was normal. Really, the badly translated manual didn't even have a troubleshooting section. Anyway, the build was mostly painless, except for the fact that I am a bit crazy about wire routing.

Edited by Ed Steele, 07 October 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#71 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 07 October 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

Well, my PC is mostly together and boots. AS Rock's choice of having a red LED stay lit on the PCB to indicate that you are running the "A" bios, is a bit hard to get used to and freaked me out at first until I Googled it and found out that was normal. Really, the badly translated manual didn't even have a troubleshooting section. Anyway, the build was mostly painless, except for the fact that I am a bit crazy about wire routing.

Post some pics or it didn't happen.... Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image What did you go with again? Specs?

#72 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 07 October 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Post some pics or it didn't happen.... Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image What did you go with again? Specs?

I had to take a lunch break, I will get some picks up once I am done and have Windows loaded.

#73 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

Lunch break? You have an obligation to keep us updated.....didn't you get the memo? Posted Image

#74 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

Ok, I am still installing software and tweaking things, so I will give you some quick specs for now and benchmark numbers probably tomorrow.

Quick Specs (not too much detail):

AS Rock z270 Extreme 4 Mobo
16 GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 15-15-15 timing
Intel Core I7 1700K 4.2 GHZ
Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB GDDR5
Samsung 500GB NAND SSD
Asus Predator XB271HU
Thermaltake low-profile CPU fan.
EVGA 700W Gold Full Modular PSU
Cooler Master HAF 912 case with only 2 120mm fans (the other ones I ordered could not be mounted correctly)
logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum mouse

Old USB keyboard
Old DPS headset

I am going to add two more 120mm Cooler Master case fans in the near future, but my hardware is running in the safe heat range for what I have.

Oh, and Arctic Silver CPU compound.

Edited by Ed Steele, 07 October 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#75 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 07 October 2017 - 07:16 PM, said:

Intel Core I7 1700K 4.2 GHZ
7700K? the timing seems terrible ... with new hardware being shipped around, while your reading this .... but ok ... each to their own ...

#76 gaIaxor

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:13 AM

"Coffee Lake" is a paper launch.
https://www.anandtec...350k-launch-day

#77 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

I think my version is the 1700K also guys... it is unlocked.... Posted Image Posted Image

#78 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 07 October 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

7700K? the timing seems terrible ... with new hardware being shipped around, while your reading this .... but ok ... each to their own ...

I got a good price on it and it usually is not good to buy a processor in the first batch. If I absolutely have to get an 8th gen, I would just have to upgrade my mobo and cpu. But my PC runs everything great. I still have not run any "official" benchmarks, but I was playing MWO last night at 2560x1440 resolution with everything turned to max / ultra and my fps were ranging from 92-135fps depending on the map / activity.

#79 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:41 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 08 October 2017 - 03:21 PM, said:

I got a good price on it and it usually is not good to buy a processor in the first batch. If I absolutely have to get an 8th gen, I would just have to upgrade my mobo and cpu. But my PC runs everything great. I still have not run any "official" benchmarks, but I was playing MWO last night at 2560x1440 resolution with everything turned to max / ultra and my fps were ranging from 92-135fps depending on the map / activity.

I would agree with you that it normally isn't a good Idea to buy a CPU on the first version..... but I have no regrets with the Ryzen 1700. This time it is in fact different, and that is a good thing for all of us either way, no matter what brand of CPU you go with. My god man, the 1080 TI is a beast.... I would hope and expect no less FPS with it at 1440P, and I would be kinda pissed off if I got much less. Posted Image

#80 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:09 PM

yeah ... but ... almost all intel new cpu's from the last few years, have required a new motherboard to go ... coffee lake is barely a tick past kaby .... other than bonus heat, I'd expect them to have more trouble with the platform for ice lake ... again, another stupid name ... at least your not likely to drown in a coffee lake, it kills you in other ways .... like not sleeping ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users