An In Depth Review That Doesn't Suck

36 replies to this topic

#1 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

My favorite game review channel just posted this. He took the time to delve into the game and do his research. I think it's pretty fair. He lays out the good with the bad, and I tend to agree with most points.

#2 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:03 PM

Dunno why he's getting so many technical issues, I've been playing for years with hardly any.

He's also a bit unfair in regards to MWLL vs MWO; that mod never had much of a playerbase, and it had waaaaaaaay more technical issues than MWO has ever had.

Also, lol @ pointing at the Pirate's Bane as 'pay 2 win'. When ECM was godmode it might have been, but not now.

Edited by Zergling, 15 September 2017 - 05:04 PM.

#3 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:19 PM

The review is ok.. But a few glaring facts missing.

1, no clue why he is using the portal? maybe to test? But steam is so much easier with zero fuss/issue. I have not had a single issue with the game since i loaded up on steam at steam launch. (one system reinstall on win 10 update) so almost 2 years, only ran the file check once or twice, just because and found no issues.

2, Some major facts missing about starting out. Like training grounds and cadet bonus, that you can basically get 2-3 mechs to start out with with very little time spent.

3, Missing that you can earn skill points during that time, despite not getting XP, you get it once you buy the mech. I think that SP point bonus is a cadet thing though, maybe i'm wrong, it's been a while since they added that part, but still, new players get a bunch of skill points and credits, to get close to a mastered mech right from the start.

Skipping those 2 things really makes the new player experience seem a lot harder to get started in your own mech than it is.

As far as economy goes, i guess maybe that could be the new player perspective, but most folks could show any new player a way to spend 7-30 bucks and really jump start their account. (pretty much the cost to jumpstart any FTP game for the most part, or the good ones anyway)

Sadly he did not let players know about those options. It is pretty obvious he played the game enough to understand that part, but just skipped that info.

Sorta like, hey, you could just spend 7 or 15 bucks and buy bays, and have 10+ mechs in no time, or point out a simple medium or heavy hero can go a long way to helping you earn more credits. A review that deep really should of had those things brought up.

I gotta agree with zergling, sure MWLL has it's fans, but it came across as him saying, the games are basically the same thing, only one is far better and free. that kinda made me laugh..

But really just kinda shows reviews these days, you need to read a bunch and get info from many places.. I think i read about 100 or so from many places before i grab a game, and watch some game play vids too. I haven't been disappointed in a game in years by doing that :)

Edited by JC Daxion, 15 September 2017 - 05:22 PM.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

Simple fact... the "quality" of a review always seems to fall into how closely it agrees with a person's own opinion.

Because we tend to be highly egocentric creatures.

View PostJC Daxion, on 15 September 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

The review is ok.. But a few glaring facts missing.

1, no clue why he is using the portal? maybe to test? But steam is so much easier with zero fuss/issue. I have not had a single issue with the game since i loaded up on steam at steam launch. (one system reinstall on win 10 update) so almost 2 years, only ran the file check once or twice, just because and found no issues.

I've used the Portal since it first was an option. Never had an issues with it.

#5 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:25 PM

I gotta agree with zergling, sure MWLL has it's fans, but it came across as him saying, the games are basically the same thing, only one is far better and free. that kinda made me laugh..

Hell, I loved MWLL, but it suffered from bad netcode, lots of bugs and an incredibly small playerbase.

#6 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:26 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 September 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

Simple fact... the "quality" of a review always seems to fall into how closely it agrees with a person's own opinion.

Because we tend to be highly egocentric creatures.

Heh.. I thought it was well done,, by voice and vids, just missing lots facts/issues that really skewed it. I mean come on,, put something in on 500 dollar mechs as a point that's no longer even sold and was done before PGI took over.. (though i wish they were, i could care less if someone wants to buy one). I was actually shocked the vid is new.. Sounds like a review that was done 3 years ago.. (outside of the skill tree)

Just missing way to many basics for me to say, Yea great info!

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 15 September 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

Heh.. I thought it was well done,, by voice and vids, just missing lots facts/issues that really skewed it. I mean come on,, put something in on 500 dollar mechs as a point that's no longer even sold and was done before PGI took over.. (though i wish they were, i could care less if someone wants to buy one). I was actually shocked the vid is new.. Sounds like a review that was done 3 years ago.. (outside of the skill tree)

Just missing way to many basics for me to say, Yea great info!

Oh it's far better than listening to say..Rageoholic, IMO. Just saying the "value" or "quality" will be magnified or marginalized all in accordance to how much it agrees with the individual viewpoint of the watcher. And as you noted, and Zergling, it still missed or got several things wrong. It was overall well presented, for what it was.

All I said is no matter how on presents a review.... people are going to judge based on their own preconceptions of a subject.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 September 2017 - 05:42 PM.

#8 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:40 PM

The last 30 seconds sums up MWO for me.

#9 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

2, Some major facts missing about starting out. Like training grounds and cadet bonus, that you can basically get 2-3 mechs to start out with with very little time spent.

3, Missing that you can earn skill points during that time, despite not getting XP, you get it once you buy the mech. I think that SP point bonus is a cadet thing though, maybe i'm wrong, it's been a while since they added that part, but still, new players get a bunch of skill points and credits, to get close to a mastered mech right from the start.

2): You're buying and upgrading to usefulness several mechs with, IIRC, 5 million? (the total cadet bonus)

3) I don't recall getting SP for it, but you do get a whole bunch of GP through achievements you're going to get early on, something like 20-30k.

Edited by InfinityBall, 15 September 2017 - 06:12 PM.

#10 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 15 September 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

2): You're buying and upgrading to usefulness several mechs with, IIRC, 5 million? (the total cadet bonus)

3) I don't recall getting SP for it, but you do get a whole bunch of GP through achievements you're going to get early on, something like 20-30k.

You are confusing academy, and cadet bonus..

academy gives you 5m or is it 6M total?

The cadet gives you a match bonus per match for 25 matches.

that total ends up around 23-24m in the end. So you could buy an LFE280, then say, a maurder, Griffin and wolfhound for example,.. grind away and skill as you go for example. Granted that takes some knowledge, BUT, there are plenty of guilds, and helpfull people to ask in the new player forums. Maybe you need a bit more cash than starter money, my point is though for that starter money, and some playing, you could easily fill up your first 3-4 bays, before having to spend a dime, and do it pretty quick if your playing.

The guy really made it sound like you gotta play for ever before you get anything unless you pay, which is just false. Basically you should do the academy, play in training grounds, figure out the game, and play your 25 matches and you should be off to the races.. That is maybe 10-15 hours? (and that is with learning to play and testing maps/mechs before hand) i don't think that is a bad grind and he kinda completely left that stuff out

Ohh yea,, they give you GXP, isn't it 45k?

Edited by JC Daxion, 15 September 2017 - 06:26 PM.

#11 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:21 PM

Mining Colony is a small map?

Community, he missed some people.

Not sure about his technical issues, some people got 'em, some don't.

There are more than 2 types of experience points.

Actually, if you watch it, he said he switched to Portal because Steam was giving him problems.
Then Portal gave him problems.

#12 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 15 September 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

The cadet gives you a match bonus per match for 25 matches.

that total ends up around 23-24m in the end. So you could buy an LFE280, then say, a maurder, Griffin and wolfhound for example,.. grind away and skill as you go for example.

Ohh yea,, they give you GXP, isn't it 45k?

The cadet bonus starts at 500k and decreases by 25k each match, IIRC. No, it's nothing close to what you're thinking.

It was enough for me to buy a hunchback IIC

(despite being a founder, I started playing live 7 weeks ago)

Edited by InfinityBall, 15 September 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#13 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 15 September 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

If you are new, there are only two types of XP. The HSP and GSP are compensation for established players.

#14 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

Hmm, i never had the same connection issues, particularly that supply box deal.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

Mining Colony is a small map?

Community, he missed some people.

Not sure about his technical issues, some people got 'em, some don't.

Actually, if you watch it, he said he switched to Portal because Steam was giving him problems.

MWO gives problems in the most inexplicable ways, and YMMV ... I mean I've seen potatoes run it like a champ and top end rigs struggle... and issues with downoads and updates on both the Portal and Steam (before both died one of my computers was on steam, the other the portal..... )

Had a lot of intermittent headaches with the old Client/Updater than the Portal. But I do have to amend my earlier comment... I did have a one corrupted install from the Portal that required a full uninstall/reinstall. Something that was about every other month pre Portal, lol. But some of that might be my Mexican internet, too.

#16 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 15 September 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

The cadet bonus starts at 500k and decreases by 25k each match, IIRC. No, it's nothing close to what you're thinking.

It was enough for me to buy a hunchback IIC

(despite being a founder, I started playing live 7 weeks ago)

By the time you get the 25 matches, the training grounds and what you make in a match.. it should be a bit over 20m depending on how you do. good players get a bit more, bad i guess a bit less.

It starts at 800k, drops down to 200k 12.5m for first 25 matches, 5m or so in academy, plus what you make in matches..

you then get 48k GXP on your 25th match.

I did watch it.. I must of zoned out on that part... was to busy pondering the P2W propaganda.. Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 15 September 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#17 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

*immediately downloads living legends...*
BRB GUYS. GOTTA SUPPORT AN ACTUAL BATTLETECH GAME THAT HAS EVERYTHING I'VE BEEN PINING FOR SINCE THE 90's!

#18 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

I thought it was fair.

I think he spent way too much time on Gold Mechs (come on, that was frickin' years ago). And, as a FTP game, of course the developer is going to want you to buy something.

I loved the commentary about team communication. He must not have come acorss that one guy who dies early then berates his team over VOIP for "doing it wrong."

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

Skill tree grind is indeed tedious but it is still better than the old 3-for-1 system.

#20 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:03 PM

From the video he tried to use the portal because he had these technical issues. He thought using portal might solve some of these issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users