How's Balance Guys

57 replies to this topic

#21 MagicIndex

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 30 September 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

The gap between a good mech and a mediocre one has widened considerably. Clan mechs are still better overall. Lights continue to be the least played, lowest scoring class, serving more as vultures than playmakers. Current weapon meta is laser vomit and gauss vomit again. ERLL boating and cERPPCs continue to be go to picks for competitive play.

Oh, c'mon man stop lying... Lights are fine, least played are mediums. Current meta - ALL HANDS FOR DAKKA MADNESS. Lurms and etc., still hurts, PPC's of all kinds still in use, laser vomit ain't that bad since it's used as secondary weapons from latest patch.

#22 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

Balance peaked right before KDK. At this point it's not totally horrible like it's been from time to time but Clans and Gauss vomit are distinctly superior.

The real "balance" people see in QP right now is that there's no real MM with T1 being an XP bar, so there's always 2 or 3 derps on both team you can kill even with bad mechs.

Try group queue against a mix of passable or better teams and you will suddenly and brutally identify why an 84pt Clan gaussvomit alpha at 500m is better than your 48 pt IS alpha at 350m.

#23 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:15 AM

View PostMagicIndex, on 01 October 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

Oh, c'mon man stop lying... Lights are fine, least played are mediums. Current meta - ALL HANDS FOR DAKKA MADNESS. Lurms and etc., still hurts, PPC's of all kinds still in use, laser vomit ain't that bad since it's used as secondary weapons from latest patch.

That may be the case in tier 5, i wouldn't know, but in Tier 1, it's nothing but Gauss/PPC and Laser vomit and it's just Clan mechs wrecking IS 24/7, with the very few IS mechs that ever come up to compete getting nerfed almost immediately after.

#24 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

The least played class continues to be lights, the only exception possibly being during the last event, since ballistic boating favors heavier mechs (There were matches where the lightest mech outside of Alpha lance was 65 tons) and light mechs (Machine Gun boating). And while Dakka continues to be one of the more fun (And so often used) weapon types in the game, they are not the best.

Edited by Bombast, 01 October 2017 - 10:27 AM.

#25 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 01 October 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:

That may be the case in tier 5, i wouldn't know, but in Tier 1, it's nothing but Gauss/PPC and Laser vomit and it's just Clan mechs wrecking IS 24/7, with the very few IS mechs that ever come up to compete getting nerfed almost immediately after.

I'm waiting for the MAD-BH2 to get nerfed, soon. It won't be fair at all, but it'll happen anyway. Obviously, builds like this are just performing above other 'Mechs in the weight class.

#26 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 October 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

I'm waiting for the MAD-BH2 to get nerfed, soon. It won't be fair at all, but it'll happen anyway. Obviously, builds like this are just performing above other 'Mechs in the weight class.

Well, it's a hero mech, it might avoid the nerf hammer through its MC-paywall.

#27 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

Now if we were to re order a few words; Light are fine? Oh c'mon man. stop lying. :P

Not actually accusing you of lying...Lower tiers and higher tiers game play is quite different. Lights and lurms are distinctly UP. And the dakka was mostly fun for the event... but laser vomit and or gauss is more popular these days.

#28 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

#vetsCantHaveGoodThings

(How else could bitter vets be created :P)

Hope it doesn't get needlessly nerfed.

#29 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 01 October 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

Well, it's a hero mech, it might avoid the nerf hammer through its MC-paywall.

Black Widow and Spirit Bear rob me of even that confidence.

#30 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 October 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

Black Widow and Spirit Bear rob me of even that confidence.

At least the black widow is still usable... Dat spirit bear... PGI special that one.

#31 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

With the introduction of clan heavy lasers any idiot can make a mech with a 60+ point alpha (including me) and pretty much wreck face playing easy mode.

IS mechs have a lot of trouble making big alphas and a lot of the time you're not going to avoid that big alpha - it only takes 2 seconds of being busy or distracted for a 60 pt alpha to burn a hole through most mechs torsos

#32 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

View PostDogstar, on 01 October 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

With the introduction of clan heavy lasers any idiot can make a mech with a 60+ point alpha (including me) and pretty much wreck face playing easy mode.

IS mechs have a lot of trouble making big alphas and a lot of the time you're not going to avoid that big alpha - it only takes 2 seconds of being busy or distracted for a 60 pt alpha to burn a hole through most mechs torsos

Yeah i really miss heavy lasers every time I build IS mechs...

#33 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

That's outperforming gaussvomit EBJ? I can see where situationally it's better than the GHR but most things are anymore. Many sads.

I would feel so dirty putting that on my BH.

Not that it would stop me, but I'd feel dirty.

#34 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 01 October 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

That's outperforming gaussvomit EBJ? I can see where situationally it's better than the GHR but most things are anymore. Many sads.

I would feel so dirty putting that on my BH.

Not that it would stop me, but I'd feel dirty.

Actually, I'd say it competes fairly well with an EBJ, but the caveat is that the fight has to come to you.

My statement was sort of tongue-in-cheek, because every time an IS 'Mech approaches Clan performance it gets whacked. Even the Lights. It happened with the Blackjack, despite it not being any tankier than a Storm Crow at the time...and with less firepower. It happened with the Marauder, losing offensive quirks, durability, and agility even though it was only situationally at parity with the Timber and only in brawl ranges. It happened to the Warhammers for dakka support, despite the Night Gyr coming up to replace it anyway.

PGI's performance metrics are either being used improperly, or they have an internal target set to something other than "50:50".

#35 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

Seems pretty balanced. You no longer(frequently) see Locusts carrying entire teams with 5 kills 700dmg. No longer is the arctic cheetah constantly able to wreak half a team and still live through the game.
Don't really see KDK-3's absolutely dominating every match you see them in(they are still a beast), nor Night Gyre's pulling 1200+ damage just sniping people(these things suck, feels like I'm driving a Toyota 4cyc truck trying to haul a 4ton load).

Clan is clan though, EBJ's seem to be more popular now, esp with the insane 70pt laser vomit or the gauss vomit.

Dunno, seems pretty steady.

I think the only mech that is really jacked up right now is the indestructible Urbie... I mean, anyone who's run an Urbie knows you can seriously put a hurting one someone in that thing, mostly because of poor mans ECM + 55ton armor.

*edit: There is some madness with machine guns right now, but I think they did a nerf pass, recently, same thing with strikes, and cool shots.

One note, I didn't freaking know they armor quirked the King Crab...man, running up against one barreling down on you is very bad news now.

Edited by Humpday, 01 October 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#36 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

View PostHumpday, on 01 October 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

I think the only mech that is really jacked up right now is the indestructible Urbie... I mean, anyone who's run an Urbie knows you can seriously put a hurting one someone in that thing, mostly because of poor mans ECM + 55ton armor.

Yup. The Urbanmech is the new Kodiak 3.

Posted Image

#37 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

View PostHumpday, on 01 October 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Seems pretty balanced. You no longer(frequently) see Locusts carrying entire teams with 5 kills 700dmg.

That was never a frequent thing. It was only top players doing that with any regularity, and they still do.

#38 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 October 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

Actually, I'd say it competes fairly well with an EBJ, but the caveat is that the fight has to come to you.

My statement was sort of tongue-in-cheek, because every time an IS 'Mech approaches Clan performance it gets whacked. Even the Lights. It happened with the Blackjack, despite it not being any tankier than a Storm Crow at the time...and with less firepower. It happened with the Marauder, losing offensive quirks, durability, and agility even though it was only situationally at parity with the Timber and only in brawl ranges. It happened to the Warhammers for dakka support, despite the Night Gyr coming up to replace it anyway.

PGI's performance metrics are either being used improperly, or they have an internal target set to something other than "50:50".

I've been playing the MAD 5D with 2xmrm30, 4ml, 1mpl, lfe300. No, not meta but over 30 matches my average damage is over 540 in QP. All 60 MRMs, because both launchers are packed tight and slanted upward end up packed super tight, less spread than an srm6 griffin. t's fun and I loved the MAD in TT, nice to have one that doesn't suck. I'll rotate the meta BH in too.

So when they get nerfed I'll blame you.

It's good to have a plan in place.

#39 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

View PostBombast, on 01 October 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

The least played class continues to be lights, the only exception possibly being during the last event, since ballistic boating favors heavier mechs (There were matches where the lightest mech outside of Alpha lance was 65 tons) and light mechs (Machine Gun boating). And while Dakka continues to be one of the more fun (And so often used) weapon types in the game, they are not the best.

What's funny is that as I go up in tier the mechs I run most tend to get lighter as I go.

#40 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

View PostChados, on 01 October 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

What's funny is that as I go up in tier the mechs I run most tend to get lighter as I go.

Movement is OP.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users