Fw Need Some Sort Of Match Maker

51 replies to this topic

#21 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

View PostBombast, on 01 October 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

It's a fair argument - Locking solo players away from a unique mode is kind of crappy. But measured against how the majority of solo players are driven out of the mode by being given unlimited access, I still think its the right move.

It's a bit elitist to say maybe, but 'Limiting players for their own good' is sometimes a good thing. And in this case, I think its true.

I suppose in the abstract it could work, but in practice QP is so shallow that I wouldn't want it done without improvements to QP being made first.

#22 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

View PostD3ATHKNIGHT, on 01 October 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

This fp event has become disgusting. I'm dropping solo and running into full elite teams like kcom and evil. No wonder no one plays fp u go to get stomped by the elites. No chance of winning with 12 solo against full teams. I love this game but this crap makes me want to rage quit. It's like matching an NFL team with ur kids peewee team. Forget about grinding out the wins. Just try to get some points for event to get something out of the pain. It shouldn't feel like this. It's a game and should b fun for everyone not just the elite teams feeding their stats versus solo players. And now they lrm the crap out of u too as if curb stomping u isn't degrading enough.

Reminds me of back in open beta. 8 man Atlas death squad all teamed up vs a team of 8 randoms in some beat up mediums that they can't pay to repair and rearm before the match starts and no ingame voice chat.

In comparison to those days, FW is completely balanced, only thing stopping the randoms now is that they don't want to work as a team and bring top builds.

#23 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:04 PM

They should have done that from the get go. Instead of driving off hoards of casual players with "It's hardcore" mode. Accessibility is a better road to success than exclusivity. Especially for a niche game.

#24 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

OP sadly your wasting your breath

if your older and grew up before computers we would go outside
and play football or other games out in the streets

we had the game next we picked sides
we instantly implemented our own match maker if one side got 2 real good players
someone would say hey and most often they would get divided up

we had very little problems and a ton of fun

we applied our matchmaker

PGI is to lazy is the problem

#25 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

If anything, FP shows that this game doesn't need match maker at all, only group and pub queues. Solo vs solo FP games were much more even than that of the pub queue quick play.

#26 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:24 PM

Not even remotly possible with the little population that is there outside of bribed events, that train left long ago.

PGI made very good sure that only a very very low part of the population sill plays the graveyard called FW at all.

#27 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:06 AM

View PostBombast, on 01 October 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

The person hanging himself holds his fair share of blame, but the mode handing him the rope to do so and bribing him with MC to go through with it probably isn't blameless either.

Every time a FP event comes up, it's the same thing.

A bunch of people carrying on about being rolled because they flatly refuse to play the game the manner in which it was designed.

So people that continually make a choice to go against the mode, and then whine about it, are either dumb or stupid. Pick whichever you want, it doesn't matter.

#28 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:23 AM

View PostBombast, on 01 October 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

FP should have been positioned as an endgame activity from the very start, something people strived to get into, not something the player is dumped into with a flimsy warning and an almost guaranteed bad first experience.
Exactly this. This game's population has tanked in the year I've been gone. Since you can't get a CW match, and can't get a group match, those two modes just need to be combined at this point for any changes to have even a chance. And like you said, mandatory groups. I'd go so far as to say 4, 8, or 12 players to give match making a chance.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 October 2017 - 07:57 PM, said:

In-game Faction Chat sits there, no one uses it.

Can't blame PGI for that one.
You can't be serious. Getting chat when we did is like Santa showing up to the mall in February. CW had long since been buried by the time that showed up.

#29 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:23 AM

View PostVitriolicViolet, on 01 October 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

without a significantly higher population there wont be any matches at all with that system. i agree it would potentially help reduce pug slaughter but not by much. and while there certainly would be some people who would try it most would leave due to population.

Its been an endless doom spiral of half assed additions/fixes and then several months of rage, followed by population decrease, followed by halfassed addition/fix to fix the issue only to repeat the whole cycle again. It started with The Dong and has been on going. The Dong really ended CW

the best way i can figure to stamp out pug slaughter is a rework of the freelancer career path. right now its just a very crappy way to get a game on. what it needs to be is noob/casual mode. you get into a lobby, much like click button get match you have now, except when you are a freelancer it puts you in a side queue. if a match comes along that meets certain group requirements, it will reserve a spot or two for freelancers. the requirements would simply be number of groups (solos would be a group of one), would have to be close to the same on both sides. thus freelancers get dropped in matches which are neither 12 mans nor are heavily slanted teamwork wise (skill wise, thats a you problem).

to make their place have meaning they would get a skill tree. 20 ranks, with rank 1 3 5 and 9 awarding mechs of increasing class, rank 10 unlocks career selection, other ranks would be prizes similar to what the other paths give. therefore by the time you are allowed to drop as a merc or freelancer, you have a deck that you own and can configure your way, money to equip those mechs, and a firm knowhow about how the modes work. further ranks are because the mode also serves casuals, it gives them a reason to stay freelancer, or something to fall back on should they not be suited for other career paths. freelancer would be the only path permitted to drop trials. to avoid this drastically affecting games for everyone else, limit 2 freelancers per drop. freelancers have to wait a bit longer, thats the price of being a precious little snowflake.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 October 2017 - 01:25 AM.

#30 rustyrat

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:35 AM

Hmm...

Kinda agree, at least if high player count. I made anything from 1 to 10 kills yesterday. Also once dropped with a less experienced group, where couple 'pugs' made all the action. Not so sure if its fun to stomp new players all night.

#31 Mr Snrub

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSome place far away

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:51 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 02 October 2017 - 12:06 AM, said:

A bunch of people carrying on about being rolled because they flatly refuse to play the game the manner in which it was designed.

So people that continually make a choice to go against the mode, and then whine about it, are either dumb or stupid. Pick whichever you want, it doesn't matter.

You know, you are 100% correct. 'Join a group, shut up or GTFO' is a completely viable answer.

The problem is: PUGs actually did GTFO and now, no one plays the bloody thing. Is that a desirable outcome?

@OP: Try a MM only if an event is on, maybe it'll help maybe it won't.

#32 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:28 AM

You realize there are MC awards for FP even when there's no event going on, right?

Well, don't worry about it. In a couple days, the event will be over, and all you non 'dumb or stupid' people can go back to waiting 2 hours for a match.

#33 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,906 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:58 AM

Sigh.

Reading this thread is just a reminder of all that CW could have been and isn't.
The lack of a match maker is not the problem. The problem has always been and continues to be PGI's unwillingness to decide on what CW is supposed to be (immersive lore nerd fest where the glory of the faction is what matters most, such as they once advertised; or is it a proxy for a competitive mode where the setting is just that and where the glory of the team and its reputation for winning is what matters most, such as the mode is currently played) and then cater to that decision. As it is CW is trying to be something to everyone and largely failing. The only thing that brings folks in now are events with decent rewards and often even those are not enough even over the mere course of an event, as bads get stomped, and goods get bored; and then everyone ends up in QP group queue cuz at least there if they stomp/get stomped it only takes a few minutes.

We all know the problems. PGI just doesn't apparently care to address them. And so CW is what it is until PGI's next great idea to save it (Next round table: Russ: "Introducing the Long Tom 2! Fires randomly at BOTH teams! How's about that for balance!?), or Solaris, or MW5 or another f***ing mech pack further distracts the community and we all finally just stop caring...ya know, like PGI apparently has.

Edited by Bud Crue, 02 October 2017 - 06:00 AM.

#34 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:13 AM

Yesterday when the rest of my unit was asleep I had the glorious idea of trying FW solo to see how it is these days.
Got farmed by an EVIL 12-men. Rejoined. Lost, but at least not as bad. Rejoined. Same EVIL 12-men again.
Quit game. PGI doesn't pay me for being a breakfast or exercise for some unit farming CB and facrep.

So, yes, campaign and stuff would be nice, but some sort of matchmaking is really needed to make FW playable for many people at all!

#35 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

View PostMr Goldenfold, on 02 October 2017 - 02:51 AM, said:

You know, you are 100% correct. 'Join a group, shut up or GTFO' is a completely viable answer.

The problem is: PUGs actually did GTFO and now, no one plays the bloody thing. Is that a desirable outcome?

@OP: Try a MM only if an event is on, maybe it'll help maybe it won't.

This man gets it.

#36 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:19 AM

If there were any design rules ...
yesterday we had 4 pillars,
then it was transvers,
then esports,
now solaris
the only two constants in mwo is the next mechpack and a hotfix after every patch.

In the end its simple,
dont play cw if you are not in a group,
(this will also help pgi to not waste more money for only a very few minority players defending their hardcorepugstompmode).

If you have no money, play qp mwo for some hours and have fun, in the evening go out and pick 12 plastic-bottles (should be less then a hour, brings you 3€=600mc if you turn them in), then go home and play some more qp mwo and have fun.

Or empty 38 beerbottles during playing mwo qp and you will also have your 600 mc (if you bring the bottles back) and even more fun. Posted Image

Edit:
I would like some cw, but not that boring, pugstomping, choose which gate you want maps, bs its now.

Edited by Kroete, 02 October 2017 - 06:30 AM.

#37 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:22 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 October 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

So do what the mode says.

Bring proper load outs and join a team.

If you don't want too, then sadly, that is your own choice.

Been there, done that and now the actual team of 58 players does NOT PLAY FP..........

No point in doing so. In fact, as of this AM, only 11 of the 58 played in MWO this month...... Most are playing some silly Dinosaur game for God's sake...

There is NO CHOICE..... Because there isn't a quality game expereince out there..... It stopped being about skill 5 nerfs and balance passes ago ! That is why so many people are playing in Space or with freaking Dinosaurs..... Geeze.

Edited by Asym, 02 October 2017 - 06:23 AM.

#38 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,993 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:49 AM

Long Tom 2 what a great idea lol
I loved the Long Tom since it made the try hards cry they got a taste of there own medicine so to speak

history review
in by gone days of computer gaming at the start of a game they would ask
do you want to play as a trainee/beginner/easy mode

or moderate mode

or advanced mode
the player chose where he wanted to play

the player would in theory progress going through each level so to speak
until they mastered the advanced mode
then they went looking for more of a challenge

that challenge was online gaming
anyone remember the people that could play an arcade game for 15 min on 1 quarter?

the start of online gaming is where I got off the buss but its not hard to figure out the evolution

when I first found MWO I went from March to June 2014 (my first drop) trying to figure out why in the world would they have a free to play game

(you see if we all paid equal money we could demand that we be treated equally)

my conclusion you need to feed the machine
if you have a core of paying customers/friends or whatever you need to feed them plenty of targets to shoot at
why not open it for free, the potatoes will flood in
yeah throw them a bone every once in awhile to keep them happy

this is exactly FP
what I did not see or even imagine was the ability to computer buff a player/side/or team
that has been the biggest surprise/shock

teams spend the most money on the game so its natural to cater to them
join a 12 man or be a target

Edited by Davegt27, 05 October 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#39 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:31 AM

If PGI could take about 30 seconds to provide in game tools for people to set their own campaigns.
Along the lines of NBT FW would be a smashing success.
Player could join various ongoing campaigns.
NBT has shown the way why reinvent the wheel?

#40 Mr Snrub

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSome place far away

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:38 AM

Even without a proper Matchmaker, PGI could do ONE THING: never let a group of pugs attack in siege mode against a clan.
Just switch the team with the bigger group on it to attacker, that would be a nice start.

The worst experience a group of pugs can have is walking into a firing line for 25 minutes without getting to do at least a moderate amount of damage themself. (The good groups at least come out and brawl a bit, but the wannabe leet skillers just sit inside and win 48 to 3, ensuring PUGS getting extra salty)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users