Did Pgi Nerf Lrms Recently?

Weapons

56 replies to this topic

#1 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

I dusted off a Night Gyr LRM-45 just for the fun of it and have been using it for several QP and FP matches and something seems "odd" with LRMs... I have a full skill tree selection for LRMs and sensors.....

I use to be able to actually kill mechs in the 300-600 range pretty often... Now, I just can't seem to find a critical hit, even with a TC-II mounted? Also, I'm producing far less damage as well? No, this isn't an AMS issue either..... I've actually had sticks I couldn't kill where as before, a 45 volley would find a crtical hit and destroy the sticks... Something just isn't right.

Has anything been nerf'd or degraded?

#2 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

Was the last time you played it before skill tree was implemented? Because people using the Survival Tree could be the culprit. Before the new skill tree a Streak36 Mad Dog would remove pretty much all the armor from the front of a Locust and do some structural damage, post skill tree that same volley leaves armor on several locations.

#3 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

Targcomps don't work with missiles, IIRC?

#4 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

The skill tree has improved the durability of a variety of mechs (That didn't have armor quirks before), LAMS is a new option (Though hot), and I have this feeling that QP currently has a higher percentage of good players than usual, because they've been able to clear the FP event while all the 'LRM Fodder' is still stuck in FP hell.

That last one is kind of based on 'conspiracy theory' level reasoning, but I'm just throwing it out there.

#5 Judah Malganis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

There's a conspiracy theory saying that once a section is stripped, it becomes less likely to be hit by LRMs. They'll shift over to more armored areas. I don't know, but it certainly feels that way sometimes.

#6 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

OK, there is one misconcpetion cleared up. I always assumed the trageting computers increased the critical chances with LRM's.... I don't know where that came from.......wasted space.

I realize the new skill tree messed with the entire battlespace platform with the survival mode mess.... What I've see is "something" after the CW changes??? It seems the effectiveness has been reduced somehow. LRM-45 showers no longer seriously tear up Assaults at ranges over 600 but below 850.... LRM's are hitting but it sometimes seems that no damage is occuring??? Where as before, you'd see the paper doll go yellow, to orange, to red to dead...... Now, it just isn't performing???

Thanks for the replies.

#7 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

I think people finally decided to ‘git gud’.

#8 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 04 October 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

I think people finally decided to ‘git gud’.

I think we'll only know for sure if that's the case when the IS freakout over a new clan mech is realeased and the DOA claims when a new IS mech is released have reached zezo.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 04 October 2017 - 03:10 PM.

#9 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:13 PM

Did your PSR improve recently? That's always a safe bet for why certain builds simply stop working as well as they used to.

#10 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

LRMs, as ever, is a weapon system dictated purely by positioning and the level of AMS present on either side, as well as the choice of map.

Barring the stars aligning and you getting Polar Highlands with a friendly NARCer on your team, you will find it incredibly difficult to post sizable damage against a team that knows what it is doing, and putting terrain between you and your targets. In a Night Gyr, which is about as maneuverable as an oiled turtle on ice, you'll find that out-maneuvering the enemy is next to impossible.

I'm still getting 600-700 damage games out of my piddly LRM30-NARC KFX with only a payload of ~1k missiles on maps that don't have massive amounts of covered areas (Crimson Strait) or lots of tall buildings in the way (River City, Mining Colony). Which is more or less the same as it has always been for the last year or so; NARC + LRM + repositioning ability = uninterrupted rain on the enemy = big damage regardless of crits. It doesn't matter how many LRM tubes you have if you can't get into position to make their cover irrelevant - which is why I'd say that the fact that you chose a Night Gyr as a LRM carrier is why you feel that LRMs are weaker.

They're not. Pick a fast missile medium with a NARC and go to town on the fatmechs that you tag. You'll find that they're still as good as ever against slow and large ballistic boats.

#11 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostJudah Malganis, on 04 October 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

There's a conspiracy theory saying that once a section is stripped, it becomes less likely to be hit by LRMs. They'll shift over to more armored areas. I don't know, but it certainly feels that way sometimes.

Can they confirm they tend to hit the legs more often? I swear every LRM that hits me is going for my legs.

#12 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

View PostMadRover, on 04 October 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

Can they confirm they tend to hit the legs more often? I swear every LRM that hits me is going for my legs.

This is a consequence of how LRMs work. They don't 'track' as well as streaks (read: fewer course corrections per second, or weaker course correction), so when you move *away* from the LRMs, they tend to smack legs (or the ground). Moving towards the LRMs will cause them to hit your upper torso instead.

#13 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

I lose legs a LOT in some of my mechs now when some LRMasite in the back gets that urge, I noticed. Not all of them, but most of my digitigrade (Huntsman) and Chicken Leg (Timber Wolf) mechs get the problem.

EDIT; Certainly most noticeably when running for cover, too. So the above comment definitely checks out.

Edited by Catten Hart, 04 October 2017 - 03:31 PM.

#14 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

I'm seeing lots more AMS.

LAMS didn't take off like I thought it would, but it seems to have convinced lots of people to run vanilla AMS. I'm actually seeing missiles swatted out of the sky in most fights nowadays, whereas AMS used to be a unicorn.

#15 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:14 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 04 October 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

I'm seeing lots more AMS.

LAMS didn't take off like I thought it would, but it seems to have convinced lots of people to run vanilla AMS. I'm actually seeing missiles swatted out of the sky in most fights nowadays, whereas AMS used to be a unicorn.

Advanced Tactical Missiles were the likely cause for the (L)AMS being used heavily now; also I have noticed MRMs do get engaged by the AMS as well.

Edited by Shadowomega1, 04 October 2017 - 04:14 PM.

#16 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:20 PM

Targcomps don't work with missiles, IIRC?

TC gives sensor boost and speeds up targeting data

so yeah they do work with missiles

Edited by Davegt27, 04 October 2017 - 04:21 PM.

#17 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 04 October 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

/facepalm

No, those are examples of TC working with sensors.

#18 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 04 October 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

You're T1 and don't know how TCs work?

View PostShadowomega1, on 04 October 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

Advanced Tactical Missiles were the likely cause for the (L)AMS being used heavily now; also I have noticed MRMs do get engaged by the AMS as well.

ATMs are exactly the reason.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 04 October 2017 - 04:50 PM.

#19 Shadowomega1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 987 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 04 October 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

/facepalm

No, those are examples of TC working with sensors.

He is saying the TC lowers lock on time for the missiles, though I don't think it does that. I do know I much prefer Active Probe as it improves lock on times as well as range increase which I have tested a lot in the testing range and noticed a significant difference.

Edited by Shadowomega1, 04 October 2017 - 04:52 PM.

#20 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostShadowomega1, on 04 October 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

He is saying the TC lowers lock on time for the missiles, though I don't think it does that. I do know I much prefer Active Probe as it improves lock on times as well as range increase which I have tested a lot in the testing range and noticed a significant difference.

*Internet sigh*

Active Probes don't lower missile lock times either.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users