56 replies to this topic

#41 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:01 AM

View Postadamts01, on 05 October 2017 - 02:29 AM, said:

I did take a year off, but just came back to try stuff out and LRMs are as situational as ever. And in the situations they do work in, direct fire is almost universally a better option. I'm not saying you're a scrub, but if your opponents are letting you cycle through their loadouts as you approach then you're fighting scrubs, and there's no reason to use that as an example of why the weapon is good, as any weapon would mop the floor with them.
I.. wasn't?
I was saying why it's worth having a BAP + TCI on LRM mechs

#42 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:02 AM

LRM5 was nerfed so its basicly useless against AMS. As armour was increased all ammo weapons were nerfed. They finally nerfed LRMs to the point where most of what people say abotu them is actually tru. Before that particular patch it wasnt

#43 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:22 AM

View PostRovertoo, on 04 October 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Im not positive, but werent LRMs 1000 meter range before? I came back and found they were all 900 metera and wondered if I missed something.

That came with the skill tree change over. Since range nodes in the firepower tree affect all your weapons, including LRMs, TPTB decided to drop base maximum range for LRMs by 100 meters. Not a big deal, really, as you should be throwing them from no farther than 5 or 6 hundred meters (gives the target less time to break lock or find cover, due to shorter flight time).

#44 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:40 AM

Faction Play
LRM boat
and Targeting Comps

Summary of every frustrating FP experience right there.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 05 October 2017 - 03:41 AM.

#45 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:43 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 05 October 2017 - 03:40 AM, said:

Faction Play
LRM boat
and Targeting Comps

Summary of every frustrating FP experience right there.

Start overstocking AMS* Posted Image

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 05 October 2017 - 03:43 AM.

#46 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:45 AM

lol no need. I think out of all the matches I played this event, I was killed / hammered by a LRM boat a grand total of... Once. Simply because they are an absolute grub of a weapon against anyone with basic piloting skills.

And it was last night cause no-one had arm mounted weapons to kill a UAV. None the less it was 12-1 after the first wave.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 05 October 2017 - 03:46 AM.

#47 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:52 AM

I use AMS more now specifically against Advanced Tactical Missiles. AMS reduces ATM damage significantly.

#48 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:21 AM

Is the MM window for the tiers in solo qp still narrowed ?
If so it could be an other reason.
As T1 you will only play against t1 and t2 so the probability that you encounter people remotely knowing what they are doing is somewhat hightened.

#49 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:53 AM

View PostAppogee, on 05 October 2017 - 12:57 AM, said:

I stopped reading at this point.
I cannot help anyone who believes that putting 45LRMs on that chassis is, was, or will ever be, a good idea, or respectful/responsible to the other 11 people forced to drop with them in a team.

First off, I think I have what I need to answer the original question. For that thanks !
My solution is to retire my LRM efforts and mechs.
I have dismantled the Gyr's and reverted them to shells; and, sold many of them.
I have just a few mechs and will potato on till Overmatch launches later this month....
After that, who knows.....???
Thanks. I get it now.

#50 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:13 AM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 05 October 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

Lots of mechs (specially IS mechs) have way more armor now cause of armor quirks combined with skill tree nodes. AMS got buffed too and 100% radar derp is now possible too.

Just a hint, don't use LRMs. They are worthless, specially in higher tiers.

Armor and structure. My MAD-3R actually has more structure than armor in the torsos; once the armor's off, you're less than halfway there. Reduced crit chance nodes also make bare structure less vulnerable than it used to be.

But yeah, about the only thing LRMs are good for, once you clear T4 or so, is forcing people to stay in cover and keep their heads down for a bit. Got NARC'd on GrimPlex the other day, with the team sitting on Noob Hill. Positioned myself behind the radar dome, watched what had to have been a hundred or so missiles slam uselessly into the dome. What a waste of tonnage.

#51 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

View PostSteve Pryde, on 05 October 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

Lots of mechs (specially IS mechs) have way more armor now cause of armor quirks combined with skill tree nodes. AMS got buffed too and 100% radar derp is now possible too.
Just a hint, don't use LRMs. They are worthless, specially in higher tiers.

when I do play, I noticed this as well. They are vastly inferior now since the skill tree was created.

#52 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

they buffed AMS which as an indirect nerf to LRMs

#53 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:32 PM

And as a secondary thing, LRMs are *not* affected by hitreg issues. At all. LRMs and Streaks are not affected by HSR in the traditional sense. Lag does NOT affect them

This, incidentally was why you'd often see oldtimers relentlessly lurm lights, because it was one of the few things that defeated the gotta-go-fast lagshield.

TC's only increase the speed you get a "damage report" paperdoll on a target + the minor sensor range boost. For LRMs, you're better off spending tonnage on a Beagle, which does all that and more. Even a Clan LAP. But never a TC.

Mostly, what's happening is everyone realizing how the Survival Tree works and investing heavily in same.

#54 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostShadowomega1, on 04 October 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

Back when people were saying Artemis decreases lock on time for streaks I ran many test with it, also tests with LRMs. Streaks with Artemis on the mech same lock on time without Artemis, then equipped the Clan Active Probe and I saw a half second drop in lock on time against the testing range targets. Do note all tests for that were done under 200m and all on the same map, on the same target. Tourmaline Desert against the Atlas near the spawn.

Artemis did in fact reduce lock on times for any missiles that used a lock on mechanic this included streaks. Against a live target the artemis lock on speed was quite noticable.

The confusion with active probes and missile locks comes from people misinterpreting the active probe's info gathering speed bonus with a target lock bonus.

#55 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:12 PM

If you dont have a bap ecm can stand next to you and just shut you down and if you cant kill that ecm mech you stay that way. bap counters 1 ecm. It used to have other tricks aswell but has been nerfed quite alot over time. Its ecm counter was 360m at one time i think its 180 now :(

#56 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

Im not positive, but werent LRMs 1000 meter range before? I came back and found they were all 900 metera and wondered if I missed something.

yep they used to be (depending on Mech quirks/nodes these days)

my streak boat which uses "lock on missiles" has a greater range lol (don't tell PGI)

on a side note I cant seem to fire my streaks without lock-on

also I wanted a way to speed up lock on time so I could fire my streaks faster anyone
know how I might do that?

#57 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 05 October 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

yep they used to be (depending on Mech quirks/nodes these days)

my streak boat which uses "lock on missiles" has a greater range lol (don't tell PGI)

They know. Range nodes are supposed to work on all weapons.

on a side note I cant seem to fire my streaks without lock-on

You never could. Streaks can't dumbfire, unlike ATM/LRMs.

also I wanted a way to speed up lock on time so I could fire my streaks faster anyone
know how I might do that?

Artemis, TAG.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users