Playing The Event Sure Made It Clear

70 replies to this topic

#1 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:54 AM

That faction play is just not for me Posted Image

This was a point of realisation I half came to a while back, but only just after running repeated games for the event has it come to be so assured to me.

I don't know if it is the pacing of matches or the general expectations of mechs and performance in there or a combination of everything but I know in particular playing one FP skirmish game, it literally came down to just waiting on opposite sides of the saddle until the last 2 minutes of the game. 1 person died in the first 27 minutes. Now that one game alone wouldn't stop me, but unfortunately, it was not an uncommon thing, the extremeness of that particular games waiting with no payoff was by far the worst I saw, but watching people stare at corners for inordinate amounts of time is very common. That is just not for me I guess?

It is a bit of a shame, as building up a dropdeck and joining a faction in itself seemed and was quite fun to engage in as a player grinding out those milestones. But when you get there, it is sadly unfulfilling. In a way that makes me want to forget FP ever existed in the first place.

How do you feel about this topic? Was FP everything you dreamed? Is the style of fights most common to FP to your liking? Please feel free to digress.

#2 Mr Snrub

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSome place far away

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:37 AM

Yes, several Gamemodes are made even worse in FP. I had some very fun and close Conquest matches in FP during the event though and I can imagine Domination isn't too bad either - but I never had the luck playing it in over 25 FP matches... .

If a PUG team is defending in Siege against a premade it can make a game closer, if it's the other way around it becomes an even bigger disaster.

Personally, I'd want to play more FP if it was only Conquest (and maybe Domination?), but that's just me.

#3 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:05 AM

View PostMr Goldenfold, on 05 October 2017 - 01:37 AM, said:

Yes, several Gamemodes are made even worse in FP. I had some very fun and close Conquest matches in FP during the event though and I can imagine Domination isn't too bad either - but I never had the luck playing it in over 25 FP matches... .

If a PUG team is defending in Siege against a premade it can make a game closer, if it's the other way around it becomes an even bigger disaster.

Personally, I'd want to play more FP if it was only Conquest (and maybe Domination?), but that's just me.

One of my first siege games was really amazing, went right down to the wire, and our team lost the fight by about 4 but won with some crazy sneaky basekilling. After about 50 FP games since, I haven't seen that kind of fun being replicated, it seems it happened by pure accident.

#4 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:28 AM

I have two issues with FP that repel me hard, even against MC rewards:

1.)
Siege is a horrible game mode.
The idea with the cannon is nice, but the map and the thing with the generators is so overspecialized that only coordinated teams have a chance of destroying the cannon. I know it's a hard thing to balance: what is just doable for PUGs is hilariously easy for well coordinated teams and what is just doable for well coordinated teams is impossible for pugs.
I only play solo queue (no time or nerves for more. I'm not a student anymore and I am long past dealing with all the sh*t in a clan/corp/unit) and I am used to carry half the team, but on specialized maps like that and with 48 mechs, I can't make enough difference on my own. I once did the stress of coordinating the pugs (regroup, wait forassaults, push, blabla) and we won, but this is more work than fun, so I won't do it again, especially not every time.

2.)
The matches are too long. Quickplay matches take mostly 5-10 minutes. FP matches take 15-30 minutes. That means once I press play, I know I'm bound to the PC for probably 45 minutes. And most of the time, 10-20 minutes of it will be waiting until the last of us has finally been slaughtered by a superior force. Just the thought of it makes me press the quickplay button.

Edited by Paigan, 05 October 2017 - 06:22 AM.

#5 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:33 AM

Oh with skirmish, sometimes you just get dumb teams that care more about winning than fighting, and they stall so they can win at the last minute. Its like the skirmish version of gen rushing. In my experience its pretty rare though.

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:03 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 05 October 2017 - 12:54 AM, said:

I don't know if it is the pacing of matches or the general expectations of mechs and performance in there or a combination of everything but I know in particular playing one FP skirmish game, it literally came down to just waiting on opposite sides of the saddle until the last 2 minutes of the game. 1 person died in the first 27 minutes. Now that one game alone wouldn't stop me, but unfortunately, it was not an uncommon thing, the extremeness of that particular games waiting with no payoff was by far the worst I saw, but watching people stare at corners for inordinate amounts of time is very common. That is just not for me I guess?

I remember you basically accused us (MS) of hacking, in that match. For us, it was a good exercise in teaching the newbies the value of patience.

#7 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:07 AM

That faction play is just not for me Posted Image

How do you feel about this topic? Was FP everything you dreamed? Is the style of fights most common to FP to your liking? Please feel free to digress.

CW is a very good mode if people play it as designed, Unit/Group play. CW is a good mode if pilots utilize the defining factor in victory, teamwork.

What makes CW a cess pool are those pilots that want to play it as QP with respawn and those peek a boo fail warriors.

CW is a good mode, just never drop without a group of 10-12 to reduce the QP respawn warriors and peek a boo club bait.

#8 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:13 AM

I don`t want to play FW anymore cause:

1. The balance between IS and clan is completely broken

2. As long as there is no exclusive singleplayer queue that prevents you from running into pemades that farm pugs it is irrelevant for me

3. The reward system is entirely based on win or lose. Your win/loss ratio is heavily teambased so your rewards depend more on your team composition then on your performance.

Yeah blah blah group up with a team and so on. I don`t have the time to do that stuff and only want to enjoy the game.

#9 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:32 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 October 2017 - 03:03 AM, said:

I remember you basically accused us (MS) of hacking, in that match. For us, it was a good exercise in teaching the newbies the value of patience.

Hacking? No, possibly having a guy in one of your (or other players in that game) TSs on our side giving info? Yeah that crossed my mind as the guy who said "scouted from f7"could not have possibly seen anyone go into that tunnel, let alone the number that did, and the timing was incredible, so yeah it looked really weird from my and others perspective.

Plus the impetus was on us to push in, the only reason I even flanked (and I guess that one guy followed) was because you guys had literally no reason to push over, and then you did. It was weird man.

I had made several passes back and forth across the tunnel trying to get my team to move, but the instant I was just over halfway through the tunnel your team pushed. Again, not to say there was anything suspicious going on, stranger things have happened, but it was one of those, WTF moments.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 05 October 2017 - 03:35 AM.

#10 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:42 AM

View PostTiewolf, on 05 October 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

I don`t want to play FW anymore cause:

1. The balance between IS and clan is completely broken

2. As long as there is no exclusive singleplayer queue that prevents you from running into pemades that farm pugs it is irrelevant for me

3. The reward system is entirely based on win or lose. Your win/loss ratio is heavily teambased so your rewards depend more on your team composition then on your performance.

Yeah blah blah group up with a team and so on. I don`t have the time to do that stuff and only want to enjoy the game.

Its not entirely based on win/loss. Theres a 250k c-bill reward from winning, more if you are a merc, but the rest of it is still the standard reward system which is heavily influenced by your performance. But you still do worse when losing overall, so your performance based rewards will be lower.

Grouping up doesnt necessarily make it more fun. Obviously your win ratio goes up, but winning with no effort because you stack your team with tons of good players makes it very boring.

#11 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:58 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 05 October 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

Hacking? No, possibly having a guy in one of your (or other players in that game) TSs on our side giving info? Yeah that crossed my mind as the guy who said "scouted from f7"could not have possibly seen anyone go into that tunnel, let alone the number that did, and the timing was incredible, so yeah it looked really weird from my and others perspective.

Plus the impetus was on us to push in, the only reason I even flanked (and I guess that one guy followed) was because you guys had literally no reason to push over, and then you did. It was weird man.

I was the architect of our push, as I told my team that as soon as we detect your side emerging from the tunnel side, we should go over the saddle and place our defense there--as the grounds we occupied were not ideal for defending against any desperate last minute push from tunnel side. So you see, we did have our reasons to push over the saddle. We were surprised to see over half your team were still defending that side, though they were overwhelmed soon.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 October 2017 - 04:01 AM.

#12 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:00 AM

I played few games with my second account that has only one owned mech, as Clan. I was little suprrised how passive some Clan teams were, spesially on modes in which being passive means automatically losing.

I only got the idea I could try playing as Clan with my second account fairly late,and after few games I realized I just can't really complete any of the events with mainly trial mechss, not when the event is going to end in about 24 hours.
Still in few games I did managed to like make more damage than 80% of the rest of the Clan team, while I was playing with one owned mech +3 trials and most everyone else had owned mechs.

For this main account I completeted the event fairly easy, even though it's difficult to win with IS.

FP can be nice spesially during events, if you are good enough. And you don't have to be good, just about average with good amount of experience will help alot. Having many mechs, not just 8 for two full decks, helps a lot, as you can make fine tune adjustments bases on the maps and modes you randomly get. I mean for example I have maybe 12-14 IS mechs configured for FP which I can them switch a bit. And as I mainly play Clan mechs on QP I can switch modes at will.

#13 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:04 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 05 October 2017 - 04:00 AM, said:

Having many mechs, not just 8 for two full decks, helps a lot, as you can make fine tune adjustments bases on the maps and modes you randomly get. I mean for example I have maybe 12-14 IS mechs configured for FP which I can them switch a bit. And as I mainly play Clan mechs on QP I can switch modes at will.

Yep. I was sick of seeing players bringing LRM boats into Siege attack mode cause they didn't have enough mechs. IMO, FP shouldn't even be available to those who has less than 8 mechs.

#14 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:10 AM

1 person died in the first 27 minutes.

Skirmish only goes for 25mins :P

And FP event was FP event.

1. I was accused of hacking/aimbotting half a dozen times.

2. Plethora of T5-T2 baddies bringing mass LRM boats that offer zero competition.

3. Too many users bringing the WORST builds I have ever seen, literally after 2-3 years of playing people question why they are in T4 and running just trash loadouts.

4. Games were not really competitive at all. Outside of an event they are much better and the chances of meeting a team on the other side are far higher due to lower population in the mode.

5. Oh and plenty of people saying "OMG NOT ANOTHER PREMADE, WHY DOES THE MM DO THIS"... Suffice to say, said users have NFI how the mode even works, clearly.

#15 Steve Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:18 AM

I already ignored the last faction play event. I think its a big sign that even the tournament isn't using faction play modes.

Edited by Steve Pryde, 05 October 2017 - 04:19 AM.

#16 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:32 AM

Wait, there's an event going on? Can't tell cause my event tab is still broken.

#17 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:46 AM

Become the pug commander of destiny, you be sure to get frustrated a lot but when people do listen you can make them feral and chewing on the opposition like dogs. :P

#18 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:46 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 October 2017 - 03:58 AM, said:

I was the architect of our push, as I told my team that as soon as we detect your side emerging from the tunnel side, we should go over the saddle and place our defense there--as the grounds we occupied were not ideal for defending against any desperate last minute push from tunnel side. So you see, we did have our reasons to push over the saddle. We were surprised to see over half your team were still defending that side, though they were overwhelmed soon.

LoL, about 9 guys were standing still staring at that ledge for about 25 minutes and still failed to provide a proper firing line (2 missing shouldn't make much of a difference with 10 focus firing a chokepoint like that), and yeah, you guys already had the win, so there's no bad blood about the loss, just that was such a sad game overall particularly on our end it turned me very sour to the FP scene, but it wasn't the one and only game of reference, more the straw that broke the camel's back.

I honestly think at least 3 of our team was AFK at that push stage too... SMH lol.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 05 October 2017 - 04:48 AM.

#19 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:55 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 05 October 2017 - 04:10 AM, said:

5. Oh and plenty of people saying "OMG NOT ANOTHER PREMADE, WHY DOES THE MM DO THIS"... Suffice to say, said users have NFI how the mode even works, clearly.

Well I did have 1 game where it seemed a 12 man pug group was placed vs a 12 man unit. We (the pugs) lost so horribly that I am surprised it even happened, but it did and I am sure it is not the only example.

Honestly that was probably more of a turnoff match than the (whatever 23 minutes, like that is so much better man) ridiculous waiting fest of that skirmish specifically, waiting 15 minutes to get matched up like that and then being stuck in a stomp for the general longer timeframe of a FP match.

#20 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:00 AM

Faction play sucks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users