159 replies to this topic

#101 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 10 October 2017 - 02:21 AM, said:

As for your second point on if MechWarrior 5 will deliver, that remains to be seen. Pre reviewing it is weak and rather uncool.

I was going to multi-quote all your over the top cheer-leading posts in this thread, but got to this one and it stands all on it's own.

Is it " weak and uncool pre-reviewing" only if your opinion is negative or cautiously pessimistic only? Many of your posts seem to the enthusiastically "pre-reviewing" MW5 so wouldn't they also be weak and uncool? Please explain to me if that's not how it works.

Most of us acknowledge that you are an unrepentant MWO/PGI cheer-leader and accept that you seemingly won't ever change your opinion on that. However, after years of watching PGI first hand, I don't see it as unreasonable to be pessimistic and distrusting of anything that comes out of the mouth of Russ and PGI.

It doesn't mean that the game will not be successful, it simply means many of us are going to be skeptical based on past experience.

#102 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 10 October 2017 - 03:35 AM, said:

This is from another of the top 3 modders. Shows whats possible when the limitations of customers machines are not a factor. Fallout 4 does not look this good without these modders. Posted Image

Hard to believe a girl is making things most players wont see in any game for a few years, at least not without a lot of video lag. Posted Image But she is really good and has tutorials.

Again will MW 5 have any modding I wonder. Or rather how easy will it be to mod. So many questions. Posted Image

totally want mod support in mw5. i need more unfinished modding projects.

#103 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 10 October 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

I was going to multi-quote all your over the top cheer-leading posts in this thread, but got to this one and it stands all on it's own.

Is it " weak and uncool pre-reviewing" only if your opinion is negative or cautiously pessimistic only? Many of your posts seem to the enthusiastically "pre-reviewing" MW5 so wouldn't they also be weak and uncool? Please explain to me if that's not how it works.

Most of us acknowledge that you are an unrepentant MWO/PGI cheer-leader and accept that you seemingly won't ever change your opinion on that. However, after years of watching PGI first hand, I don't see it as unreasonable to be pessimistic and distrusting of anything that comes out of the mouth of Russ and PGI.

It doesn't mean that the game will not be successful, it simply means many of us are going to be skeptical based on past experience.

please, we all know that game reviewing is rigged. player reception is what you go on. watch some player reviews on youtube or whatever and see how much salt they are spewing.

i personally like doing things the old way: play demo -> like demo -> buy full game. now its: watch teaser -> fork over cash -> feel disappointment. there are always indie games for when i want to feel optimistic. at least those people want to make games.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 October 2017 - 11:08 AM.

#104 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostJoshua McEvedy, on 10 October 2017 - 03:05 AM, said:

So I take it that you weren't around during the dark days of 2013-2014 when MWO almost died because of PGI deception and incompetence? And remind me again why we now have simple 2-bucket 'Faction Warfare' instead of a much richer multi-faceted "Community Warfare?"

And I also guess you haven't seen the more recent townhall in which Russ called the MWO community "cheapskates."

So will there be $500 gold mechs in MW5?

http://www.pcgamer.c...0-still-coming/

since im being accused of being a cheapskate, can i get all my money back? i did my part and put money into the game. still waiting on pgi to do their part and make a game. this buisness model doesnt work, im never again playing f2p games. its a scam.

Edited by LordNothing, 10 October 2017 - 12:00 PM.

#105 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 09 October 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

"We’re dedicated to the core MechWarrior fanbase. They’re the ones that supported us with MechWarrior Online and now we’re making a game for them."

So NOW, their making a game for the "core MechWarrior fanbase". I will suspect a lot of them thought that MWO was supposed to be the game that PGI was making for them. Who knew?

Ahem, PGI, about that voice acted back story immersion for each mech and each major Battletech event for MW:O......
*crickets*

#106 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

View Postslide, on 10 October 2017 - 04:39 AM, said:

Good to see you like making assumptions about what I do with my time. So let me set something straight for you. EA games, I am sure I own some some where, was C&C theirs, can't remember. Never, ever visited their forums that's for sure. Ubisoft, Origin or any others same. Star Citizen, was convinced by a friend I met here to by into it. I got a 300i. I then took the very valuable lessons I learnt from PGI and promptly forgot that I did so. I don't even bother to read the weekly updates they send me and won't until they actually have a game that is functional beyond a few beta test modules (I did actually update my game client on the weekend, I wasn't impressed)

The facts are this Johnny Sunshine and Rainbows, the only forums I have ever frequented with regularity are these ones, this is the only online game I have ever been involved with. Any opinion, attitude or other emotion or experience I have with online games has been created by PGI. I was the happiest person in the world when I got my closed beta invite, if I am unhappy now it is because PGI made it so.

Nobody (or very few) come into a game, spend upwards of $1000 with the intention of becoming a bitter vet. That attitude is created. The only people responsible for the creation of bitter vets is PGI and the way they treat their customers, with deceit, mis-information or complete changes of attitude.

Sooner or later PGI will do something you don't like, or fail to deliver on something that they suggested, that you really wanted to happen, then maybe your positiveness will fail you too.

A very reasonable reply. It does not explain the unreasonable attitude of being negative about so many aspects of this game or claiming to be a bitter vet.

I have had legit complaints as well but try and make the effort to have some understanding about the situation.

View PostLordNothing, on 10 October 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

please, we all know that game reviewing is rigged. player reception is what you go on. watch some player reviews on youtube or whatever and see how much salt they are spewing.

i personally like doing things the old way: play demo -> like demo -> buy full game. now its: watch teaser -> fork over cash -> feel disappointment. there are always indie games for when i want to feel optimistic. at least those people want to make games.

100's of maps and planets to interact with. Managing a merc company in a sim like way. The rest of the details, all sound excellent.

The only complaints I have seen are all drama.

Well aside from the mech customization. Doesn't sound to bad to me. Sounds like searching for the right mechs will be fun.

Edited by Johnny Z, 10 October 2017 - 05:25 PM.

#107 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:35 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 10 October 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

totally want mod support in mw5. i need more unfinished modding projects.

The reason I added that video is because its an entirely new world space, among others. Shows that modding support can do a lot.

The Creation Kit didn't come out for Fallout 4 until a full 6 months after release. So its not a rushed kind of thing.

It is extremely possible players will be able to design or customize their own planet in the Inner Sphere. :) Many other things as well.

Edited by Johnny Z, 10 October 2017 - 05:40 PM.

#108 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 09 October 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

"We’re dedicated to the core MechWarrior fanbase. They’re the ones that supported us with MechWarrior Online and now we’re making a game for them."

So NOW, their making a game for the "core MechWarrior fanbase". I will suspect a lot of them thought that MWO was supposed to be the game that PGI was making for them. Who knew?

So take a bunxh of money and hnder deliver? Hinestly how doyou survive catering to a very niche audience?

#109 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 10 October 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

Most of what they're advertising sounds totally plausible, even for PGI. Isn't destructible environment built into the Unreal4 engine? So that's not even them doing the real work for that. They're not trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes to MechWarrior.

I think what we have to worry about are bugs, general optimization, and just how bad the AI is. I'll personally just wait for release and reviews.

There is actually evidence that it already is in there. I don't think you actually looked at the link.....

Posted Image

#110 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 10 October 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

A very reasonable reply. It does not explain the unreasonable attitude of being negative about so many aspects of this game or claiming to be a bitter vet.

I have had legit complaints as well but try and make the effort to have some understanding about the situation.

My understanding extended to about when the Archer pack went on sale. Then my attitude became "I will believe it when I see it, in the game".

This is the exact same attitude I have developed about all new games these days. An attitude directly attributable to Russ and the way he has dealt with the people who play this game.

My issues with PGI are all to do with management. The game play for the most part is good, the artwork is excellent. But the delivery of features, features that PGI have described without any prompting from us, has been terrible. Either a year or more late or different to that described. Put simply you can't take anything they say or promise at face value.

With MWO "Don't believe the hype!" should be every ones motto. I can't see any reason why it should be any different for MW5.

I honestly hope they succeed with what they described for MW5, I wan't to play that game, but I want proof, not just words.

#111 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

I'm most curious what the strategic layer for the game looks like. I'm hoping for something XCOM-like, where you have downtime while waiting for contracts to appear, techs to complete repairs and refits, weapon shipments to arrive, and pilots to come out of the infirmary. Perhaps contracts pop up that you have to turn down because you're not in fighting shape. Perhaps you get barred from contracts due to past hostile action against a faction.

That would be neat.

#112 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

thats the look for each procedual Map...one Groundtexture and 1Texture for each Highlevel ...clean and steril ... seeing No Mans Sky ...300 x the same in white, brown ,gray, green Posted ImageAlgorithms have no creativity and sense for Beauty

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 10 October 2017 - 08:18 PM.

#113 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:53 PM

View PostTrissila, on 09 October 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

MW2: Mercs and MW4: Mercs did just fine while having you pay for your ammo.

Heck, MW3 even went so far as to have you worry about how much armor you had in stock for field repairs at your MFBs.

Why would MW5 have any more of a problem with it? Unless modern gamers are so far down the "no thought required" rabbit hole that even basic inventory management is too much for them.

Its not and they arnt.

This sounds great, a merc company sim as well as some kind of faction war and piloting mechs and a lance of ai team mates? Sounds amazing.

How do dropships play into it? Jumpships and travel? Mechbay? Who knows what else.

Edited by Johnny Z, 10 October 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#114 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 10 October 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

How do dropships play into it? Jumpships and travel? Mechbay? Who knows what else.

Easy, just like MW2:Mercs did it.

You start the game on X day, Y month, Z year. Every contract you take has a set length of time depending on whether it's a simple shoot 'em and loot 'em one mission, or a longer and more involved 3-4 mission story contract.

Plenty of contracts in MW2:Mercs had X, Y, Z start and end dates, while others were listed as like "one month" or whatever.

You also had News Posts when you returned to base so you had a rough idea what day, month and year it was, so if you were crafty, you could mix in a bunch of single mission contracts with the story contracts.

#115 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:29 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 10 October 2017 - 03:04 AM, said:

You mean Bethesda/Zenimax releasing paid mods, then removing them due to consumer backlash, then releasing them again but not calling them paid mods, yet being surprised at the same backlash for the same problem?

What do you mean the guys that eviscerated my favourite game franchise of all time, fallout, by warping it into something else entirely wearing the shell of the original... Then used freely made mods/mod ideas by modders in their sequels with barely a tip of the cap, would then try to further exacerbate that issue by forcing customers to then pay for much of those very mods in their latest iteration?

Well, no, that doesn't surprise me. I am still waiting for Fallout Scrolls Online to forever crush my hopes of a decent fallout remake in my lifetime.

#116 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:56 PM

Wow, I actually worked to restrain myself in that previous post, but re-re reading it, it still got pretty dark there lol. I just miss what fallout was man... Curse you Bethesda!

#117 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:07 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 10 October 2017 - 11:56 PM, said:

Wow, I actually worked to restrain myself in that previous post, but re-re reading it, it still got pretty dark there lol. I just miss what fallout was man... Curse you Bethesda!

Not everyone is playing the same Fallout 4.

As for MW 5, the design couldn't look better. Depends on if they can deliver :) How much of the new Battletech influences it, the more the better, and countless other things.

#118 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:25 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 10 October 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

And yet all other evidence as far as PGI and MWO is concerned says other wise.

Quite literally the ONLY thing MWO has going for it is the superb artwork of Alex, while just about everything else about MWO has failed spectacularly.

I don't disagree that Alex work is quite important for MW:O, but I think you underestimate how good the core gameplay of MW:O is. You got all the stuff that makes a Mechwarrior game with torso twisting, hit locations, heat management, controlling giant stompy mechs.

That is also why Quick Play works and CW is slow as molasses. Quick Play really cares only about the core gameplay, and that's just fun.

Everything around that core game is done ... less well.
Community Warfare? Meh.
Information Warfare? Meh.
Balance? Meh.
Game Modes? Meh.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 11 October 2017 - 12:25 AM.

#119 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 11 October 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

I don't disagree that Alex work is quite important for MW:O, but I think you underestimate how good the core gameplay of MW:O is. You got all the stuff that makes a Mechwarrior game with torso twisting, hit locations, heat management, controlling giant stompy mechs.

That is also why Quick Play works and CW is slow as molasses. Quick Play really cares only about the core gameplay, and that's just fun.

Everything around that core game is done ... less well.
Community Warfare? Meh.
Information Warfare? Meh.
Balance? Meh.
Game Modes? Meh.

Balance is very good considering all the factors involved. A lot of the rest needs work still agreed. Missing a few features to.

Edited by Johnny Z, 11 October 2017 - 01:06 AM.

#120 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

I can understand being excited about MWO when things got started, most of us were. All the stuff that happened after quickly took the shine off the apple for just as many.

Sure one can argue that PGI has done a better job than they did in the first 2 years, I wouldn't even argue that, but still based on past performance they have a pretty crappy reputation with a significant portion of the community and therefore caution is warranted.

Generally speaking if you screw something up and later on start doing things better, you have to do a lot of stuff better to make up for your earlier transgressions. With how PGI has done things, they have a lot of work to do.

It boils down to PGI doing it's job better than it ever has in the past, which is a tall order. Unless of course you've been drinking a steady diet of Russ's Kool-aid.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users