Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

if it flops, i'll play it until 6 comes out

#82 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:42 PM

then i can wash my hands of pgi and leave in disgust. stringing people along for years like this is just wrong. especially if doing so does not yield remotely satisfactory results. i for one am sitting on my money until i see reviews from somewhere other than the pre-release reviewers.

#83 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:44 PM

View PostSunstruck, on 12 October 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

What if Mechwarrior 5 gets bad reviews on release, will it be the end of PGI?

If MW5 flops, they will probably take all that they have learned, and open the game up to be free 2 play, and basically convert it into MWO2..

But if the game succeeds, they make a "Clan Invasion DLC", a "Civil War" DLC, and a "Jihad" DLC.. basically, they are gonna milk the setting for all its worth..

And after they reach the end of the known timeline, they will hopefully continue on, into uncharted territory.

Possibly, they will update MWO at some point to merge the two games, with MWO becoming MW5's multiplayer PVP component..

But if it flops.. nobody is ever going to believe them again to make a MW game, and it could be the end of PGI's MW run..

#84 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:00 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 12 October 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

Star Citizen is wallowing in bad design gone wrong.

?

#85 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

A multiplayer mode would extend the life of any single player game, but it's hard to make a constant money stream of it.

But Mechwarrior 5 might be THE title to bring back LAN and player-run servers. The target audience is way older then your average FPS.

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 13 October 2017 - 12:36 AM.

#86 ShaneoftheDead

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostSunstruck, on 12 October 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

What if Mechwarrior 5 gets bad reviews on release, will it be the end of PGI?

What if the BattleTech game out next year is a hit? If all the old-school TT players jump ship from MWO and put their time and money into that game, how will MWO survive?

#87 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 12 October 2017 - 02:31 AM, said:

If it flops, this game gets updated and we continue to muddle along for as long as mech packs keep PGI afloat.

If it succeeds, then MWO ceases to exist within a year. PGI will be convinced of their amazing game development skills and they will create a MWO2 based on the MW5 game, and we will all get to start over. There will be no account transfers or continuations. MW5 is a smashing success then MWO dies. That is what I suspect will happen.

This is the most gut wrenching part. All those money we have given for mech packs, premium time, MC and so on. Nothing in return if MWO ceases to exist after MW5M. PGI could if possible give all those who have spent money on MWO get some goodies in MWO 2 and/ or MW5M. Some general goodies and some, depending on how much you have spent.

I know I have spent far above the hundres, a few thousands in my valuta Kr. Will be a pretty dizzying amount in canadian dollars too.. Have slowed down the spending ALOT because one reason is the above listed and other obvious reasons.

#88 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostTordin, on 13 October 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

This is the most gut wrenching part. All those money we have given for mech packs, premium time, MC and so on. Nothing in return if MWO ceases to exist after MW5M. PGI could if possible give all those who have spent money on MWO get some goodies in MWO 2 and/ or MW5M. Some general goodies and some, depending on how much you have spent.

I know I have spent far above the hundres, a few thousands in my valuta Kr. Will be a pretty dizzying amount in canadian dollars too.. Have slowed down the spending ALOT because one reason is the above listed and other obvious reasons.

Dude I probably haven't even put in 300 bucks over my years of play time, and am not only a sceptical but pretty forgiving kind of person, and even I would personally boycott them if they failed to properly transfer peoples varying support investments and play time efforts in a way that the actual supporters (like yourself) were generally happy with.

Would you pay them for any future products after they had done such a thing to you? Would anyone, even people who have put no money at all on, consider paying them further with that constant idea looming over their head? Would you even play that companies games for free in the future? (I might but I would spitefully be not paying any cash in the process).

#89 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 13 October 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

Dude I probably haven't even put in 300 bucks over my years of play time, and am not only a sceptical but pretty forgiving kind of person, and even I would personally boycott them if they failed to properly transfer peoples varying support investments and play time efforts in a way that the actual supporters (like yourself) were generally happy with.

Would you pay them for any future products after they had done such a thing to you? Would anyone, even people who have put no money at all on, consider paying them further with that constant idea looming over their head? Would you even play that companies games for free in the future? (I might but I would spitefully be not paying any cash in the process).

If the future product is good why not?

This is a F2P game that of course has a finite existence. No one has to buy anything in this game. We buy stuff cuz we want to support the game, get instant gratification, whatever; but in no realistic scenario can we expect PGI to keep that virtual stuff around for us forever. MWO will end someday. We all know it. We all presume that PGI will hopefully make some other better future version of the game. Where if desired we can -if we choose to- spend real money again for the same reasons as here. At least its our choice. I see this as a better deal than more typical series of games that I have spent money and time on. I didn’t boycot the Civ series when they stopped supporting Civ 2, nope I bought Civ 3, then Civ 4, etc. With expansions, etc. on each of those I spent $50-$100 bucks on, and then again, and the again. I HAD to spend that if I wanted to play at all. In MWO our real money purchases are no different except that they were wholly optional.

Like every other game ever, this one will end. We will move on to the new one. And if its good we will throw money at it again, just like every other good game ever. I don’t begrudge PGI doing this. I just think folks need to be realistic about it and realize that if MW5 is as big a deal as they hope, that the end of this game will come sooner rather than later and what that entails.

#90 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 13 October 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

If the future product is good why not?

This is a F2P game that of course has a finite existence. No one has to buy anything in this game. We buy stuff cuz we want to support the game, get instant gratification, whatever; but in no realistic scenario can we expect PGI to keep that virtual stuff around for us forever. MWO will end someday. We all know it. We all presume that PGI will hopefully make some other better future version of the game. Where if desired we can -if we choose to- spend real money again for the same reasons as here. At least its our choice. I see this as a better deal than more typical series of games that I have spent money and time on. I didn’t boycot the Civ series when they stopped supporting Civ 2, nope I bought Civ 3, then Civ 4, etc. With expansions, etc. on each of those I spent $50-$100 bucks on, and then again, and the again. I HAD to spend that if I wanted to play at all. In MWO our real money purchases are no different except that they were wholly optional.

Like every other game ever, this one will end. We will move on to the new one. And if its good we will throw money at it again, just like every other good game ever. I don’t begrudge PGI doing this. I just think folks need to be realistic about it and realize that if MW5 is as big a deal as they hope, that the end of this game will come sooner rather than later and what that entails.

Maybe it is just me, but that difference between a developed and released game which one purchases and then owns, and between an ongoing online project is substantial, of course if MW4 had a following they make a 5 and if it continues they make a 6, because those are individually worked on products with very distinct end dates (hotpatching and DLCs aside), that allow for that room for future development.

This project for better or worse for them has a vastly varying level of customer commitment within it. Could you imagine putting thousands of dollars into MW4 through DLC mechpacks or whatever, and then not only that being made obsolete by MW5, but them going into your game library and deleting MW4 and your access to it permanently? That is the difference.

#91 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 13 October 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

Maybe it is just me, but that difference between a developed and released game which one purchases and then owns, and between an ongoing online project is substantial, of course if MW4 had a following they make a 5 and if it continues they make a 6, because those are individually worked on products with very distinct end dates (hotpatching and DLCs aside), that allow for that room for future development.

This project for better or worse for them has a vastly varying level of customer commitment within it. Could you imagine putting thousands of dollars into MW4 through DLC mechpacks or whatever, and then not only that being made obsolete by MW5, but them going into your game library and deleting MW4 and your access to it permanently? That is the difference.

Meh. I’m doing that now. Hell obsolescence does that for all games. I’m not going to get bent because PGI takes it away from me, but replaces it with something new and better, or Microsoft or intel takes it away from me because my computer can no longer run that game that “I own” makes little difference to me (damn I miss old games like Hellbender and Descent and MW2. All gone. All taken away from me by some son of a ***** called advancing technology. All games I would buy again and again if tech would allow them to be made ever better). If MW5’s or MWO2 or whatever PGI or any other dev comes up with is a great game. Sure I will throw cash at it. The existence of my account in this game is irrelevant to that.

Edited by Bud Crue, 13 October 2017 - 11:59 AM.

#92 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 12 October 2017 - 02:31 AM, said:

If it flops, this game gets updated and we continue to muddle along for as long as mech packs keep PGI afloat.

If it succeeds, then MWO ceases to exist within a year. PGI will be convinced of their amazing game development skills and they will create a MWO2 based on the MW5 game, and we will all get to start over. There will be no account transfers or continuations. MW5 is a smashing success then MWO dies. That is what I suspect will happen.

Man I hope not, I've never in my life dumped $300-$500 bucks into a stupid game for intangibles.
My mechs better transfer over, even if it means stripping them of their current configurations.

The hell If they're going to make me re-buy everything I already bought with real money.

Also, I really hope they tune this thing to be able to operate at +60 fps per second, better yet in the +70fps on the low end on VERY HIGH. Even high end rigs cant' get this game to perform consistently without massive frame dips.

Edited by Humpday, 13 October 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#93 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 13 October 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Meh. I’m doing that now. Hell obsolescence does that for all games. I’m not going to get bent because PGI takes it away from me, but replaces it with something new and better, or Microsoft or intel takes it away from me because my computer can no longer run that game that “I own” makes little difference to me (damn I miss old games like Hellbender and Descent and MW2. All gone. All taken away from me by some son of a ***** called advancing technology. All games I would buy again and again if tech would allow them to be made ever better). If MW5’s or MWO2 or whatever PGI or any other dev comes up with is a great game. Sure I will throw cash at it. The existence of my account in this game is irrelevant to that.

Fair enough, for me though that level of company interaction is important, I am not going to pay into or support companies or people that choose to try achieve what might be nice or great ideas in nefarious ways. It really all comes down to approach and intent in this specific regard of course, and I guess precedence matters to me too there.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 13 October 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#94 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 12 October 2017 - 07:06 PM, said:

They can't feasibly port accounts from this game to a new game with different mechs, different mechanisms, different routes of player advancement, etc.and moreover,

Keep in mind they don't have to directly port everything over since that would be probably impossible, as others have said. But they can give folks who played MWO some in-game bonus, like MC, in MWO2, if that ever happens, when they get ported over to the new game. I don't expect a single medium laser I own from MWO to make it into MWO2 (if that game ever happens), but I'd be content with some extra MC and cbills for being a loyal MWO customer for years.

#95 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

If it flops, it flops. Life will go on as usual. I'm not going into any sort of panic mode if it does. Still going to wait until I see actual real game play and reviews on it before I even think about getting it after it releases. Going to also wait how the HG vs PGI fiasco pans out before I decide to invest more money. The only exception to that rule is if PGI displays a boast in confidence with releasing another unseen/reseen before the court date. It's what sold me on the IS Marauder during it's initial town hall announcement.

#96 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 12 October 2017 - 06:24 PM, said:

I don't like the look of Bannerlord, personally. It looks too unrealistic. You see people cutting each other multiple times until their HP drops to 0. Now, I'm not saying that anyone who gets stabbed or cut would die instantly. But I felt that game was too unrealistic for my tastes. People running around with arrows sticking out of their chests. And the UI which makes the whole game look too much like an MMORPG, where people have unit insignia hovering over their heads. It's not for me.

I'm hoping KCD will be more realistic. The UI looks very minimalistic, which is a big deal for me. Makes the game more immersive. Confusing, sure. But I imagine mediaval battles were quite confusing.

I haven't liked any of Bethesda's games since Skyrim. Fallout 4 was a massive disappointment, I never even touched the Dishonored games or Prey. Until the next Elder Scrolls game comes out, I doubt they will have anything I'm interested in. It'll be years from now, at any rate.

What game are they rumored to be doing?

Hopefully. Cyberpunk was the first paper RPG I ever played, and I'm obviously a big fan of the Witcher series.

Well actually its more than a rumour. Its official they are working on an unannounced title of some sort.

I am guessing space sci-fi. :)

That's my guess because they have Elder Scrolls for fantasy and Fallout for post apoc.

As for Bannerlord. There are no doubts that if it ever makes it to market it will be amazing. That it is delayed indefinitely is no surprise.

Another +1 for MW5 because it looks awesome to.

Edited by Johnny Z, 13 October 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#97 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:54 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 12 October 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

MW5 should have joystick support. I am sure it will unless it gets overlooked. MWO actually plays well with a joystick..Now, but did not for it's first 2 years or so. Long enough to discourage everyone from using a joystick. However, MechWarrior's mechs pilot more like planes in flight sims than FPS WASD avatars. As FPS avatars Mechs are very clunky.

No....no it doesn't... MWO does NOT play fine with a joystick, and never has.

1) arm aiming is a crucial skill, and is entirely pointless to try via joystick.
2) For a joystick to be viable in a mechwarrior game, it needs to be able to be used, on it's own [IE a HOTAS setup, should be ALL you need for critical functions, aiming, throttle, ect] MWO has never been a game that can be played exclusively with only a HOTAS setup.
3) That each chassis's torso twist/pitch is different, hinders the usefulness of a joystick to accurately track via torso movement, to compensate for lack of arm aim ability.

I played the hell out of Mechwarrior 3, and 4 [and 4 multiplayer], using exclusively a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS, [and later an X-52 Pro] and those games, required nothing more than that HOTAS... those, were games designed for Joystick... MWO, will never reach that level due to design decisions based purely around mouse/keyboard based combat.

#98 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

View PostHumpday, on 13 October 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Man I hope not, I've never in my life dumped $300-$500 bucks into a stupid game for intangibles.
My mechs better transfer over, even if it means stripping them of their current configurations.

The hell If they're going to make me re-buy everything I already bought with real money.

Also, I really hope they tune this thing to be able to operate at +60 fps per second, better yet in the +70fps on the low end on VERY HIGH. Even high end rigs cant' get this game to perform consistently without massive frame dips.

ha...HAHAHA, omg are you serious? Have you NEVER screwed with F2P games that qet sequels? Or even full price games that you can pump cash into that get sequels? Yeah your stuff doesn't transfer... YOU decided to pay cash into MWO, they are not beholden to you to transfer anything if they make a new MWO experience.

Frankly, they'd be insane to transfer your stuff... because that doesn't help them make money on their new product.

Jesus, the entitlement of some people on the internet baffles me. I've dropped over 2.5K into MWO over it's lifespan, and I have no illusions that those THOUSANDS of dollars, will simply vanish when PGI moves on, and MWO dies.

Because I'm not a deluded fool.

Edited by CMDR Sunset Shimmer, 13 October 2017 - 10:05 PM.

#99 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:28 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 12 October 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

If MW5 flops, they will probably take all that they have learned, and open the game up to be free 2 play, and basically convert it into MWO2..

But if the game succeeds, they make a "Clan Invasion DLC", a "Civil War" DLC, and a "Jihad" DLC.. basically, they are gonna milk the setting for all its worth..

And after they reach the end of the known timeline, they will hopefully continue on, into uncharted territory.

Possibly, they will update MWO at some point to merge the two games, with MWO becoming MW5's multiplayer PVP component..

But if it flops.. nobody is ever going to believe them again to make a MW game, and it could be the end of PGI's MW run..

Nothing wrong with DLC for a good game. In fact that's awesome.

Just like Fallout 4 and Skyrim all the competition trolls will hate on it. But good DLC i hope to see for MW V.

How the two games would be merged is an interesting question. Doubt that will happen but a first person mechbay for MechWarrior Online would be cool. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 13 October 2017 - 10:31 PM.

#100 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:06 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 12 October 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

MW5 should have joystick support. I am sure it will unless it gets overlooked. MWO actually plays well with a joystick..Now, but did not for it's first 2 years or so. Long enough to discourage everyone from using a joystick. However, MechWarrior's mechs pilot more like planes in flight sims than FPS WASD avatars. As FPS avatars Mechs are very clunky.

I played with a Merc unit of fellow MechWarrior enthusiasts through MechWarrior 3, 4, Mercs, probably 60 to 70 players total over the years and all of them, 100 percent, used a Joystick, either alone or with a Mouse assist. I have not run into any of them playing MWO, so they may have tried MWO and just moved on when it had the really bad or no joystick support at first. Once you Joystick MechWarrior you never go back to Mouse.

I am saying all this because MechWarrior 5 can not make the same mistake that MWO did by releasing with no or bad Joystick support. That's going to cut the player base in half if PGI wants to sell MW5 to everyone who has played MechWarrior games in the past. And trust me, you want all those players buying a copy. And they will be asking if MW5 supports Joysticks before they buy.

I foresee a merging of the two games if it goes that far. It might not be a merging on the programming level, but to players it will appear to be a merging making MWO a true MechWarrior MMORPG.

I don't think HALF the community wants to use a joystick. Just because you know 100 guys doesn't mean they speak for the few thousand of us that play Mechwarrior games.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users