What Are Peoples Thoughts On Cherbi And The Executioner In General.

Gameplay BattleMechs

22 replies to this topic

#1 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:56 AM

I'm thinking on getting the Hero Exe and am wonder what are peoples thoughts on it and the general chassis in general. What are it's pro and cons. What playstyle is it better suited for. What builds do you run on them?

#2 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts
  • LocationThe Underhive, Pomme De Terre

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:16 AM

I don't have the Cherbi, but one of my favourite rides is a modified EXE-Prime (2 ERLLas, 2ERMLas and an LB-20X - don't judge me, I like big mech shotguns Posted Image ). It's fun, does well in most QP matches and runs fairly cool too.

The Executioner is a strange assault - agile, but not a lot of pod space, so it can be tricky to balance weapon weight, heat and damage. Most of the firepower is in the arms, but it torso twists well enough without Mobility skills that I don't usually find that to be a problem. Arm mounts are low, which *is* a problem, but a couple of omni pods have high energy and ballistic mounts in the torso, so it can peek fairly well with the right setup. It's a good brawler, but having low firepower for an Assault means it's usually better to fight dirty rather than taking enemies head-on, and its MASC system is good for flanking and dodging things like artillery strikes.

Quick, tough and nasty, rather than slow and packing all the guns - my experience of the EXE in a nutshell. Like the Gargoyle and a couple of other Clan mechs though, it suffers from lacking Endo-Steel. I'm sure the lore reasons for it are there, but those 4-5 extra tons would make a huge difference for big Omni's with oversized engines.

Edited by Rakshasa, 13 October 2017 - 04:43 AM.

#3 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:18 AM

I suggest doing a quick search in the forums. There has been a thread exactely like that just a few weeks back.
And 10 like it in the time before.

Also, shouldn't the pros and cons be obvious? Why do people always have to make threads to ask questions with obvious answers?
It's big.
It can have a lot of armor.
But it also has a lot of locked equipment (MASC and JJs) and hence less room for other stuff (weapons)
If you don't exploit that trait to its fullest (in this case meaning to go for mobility), the Mech will most probably rather suck.
If you do, it can be quite good.

All that gets unveiled to you automatically if you just click here and look at what you see: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=594&l=stock

Edited by Paigan, 13 October 2017 - 04:20 AM.

#4 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:23 AM

Might be fun brawler CHERBI, I don't know because I don't own it.

#5 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:24 AM

It has too little podspace to run the builds that I find effective on Mechs that weight 20t less.

I find it better to take the lighter Mech with the right loadout that is also more agile.

#6 Arend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:15 AM

I would not buy that Hero, the Executioner is undergunned for such a Heavy Mech, and even with MASC and Jumpjets it feels slugish, take the money and buy a Mad Cat II Pack, you will have way more fun with that and if you absolutely want to buy a Hero, buy the Virago(Hellbringer) or Esprit de Corps(Ebon Jaguar)!

#7 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:20 AM

View PostArend, on 13 October 2017 - 05:15 AM, said:

I would not buy that Hero, the Executioner is undergunned for such a Heavy Mech, and even with MASC and Jumpjets it feels slugish, take the money and buy a Mad Cat II Pack, you will have way more fun with that and if you absolutely want to buy a Hero, buy the Virago(Hellbringer) or Esprit de Corps(Ebon Jaguar)!

Why Virago? you get same hardpoints with CBills, well not those 2xM hardpoints in the arm but whos using missiles in HBR?

#8 Arend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:56 AM

View PostCurccu, on 13 October 2017 - 05:20 AM, said:

Why Virago? you get same hardpoints with CBills, well not those 2xM hardpoints in the arm but whos using missiles in HBR?

Just in Case he wants to buy a Hero by all means, Hellbringer and Ebon Jaguar are a way better Option than the Executioner, for the Hardpoints its not worth it, thats true, as i said i would buy a Mad Cat II Pack for the money and add the Deathstrike!

Edited by Arend, 13 October 2017 - 05:58 AM.

#9 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:14 AM

Executioner is awful. Seriously, dont get it. It needs massive massive quirks to be viable which PGI wont give because they think all clan mechs are OP when really its only laser vomit builds.

#10 braveheart95

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:01 AM

That and you get a cbill bonus for using a hero vs. the regular hellbringer....

#11 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

Executioner is for people who like agile Assaults and know how to use MASC, a must have skill.

High torso weapon mounts are great for shooting over obstacles most other Mechs cannot but stink at getting Lights that run up next to you.
Low arm weapons needed for dealing with said Lights.
RA makes a better shield due to size but is also the arm with more weapons possible.

#12 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

@ Lupis
I have the Cherbi.
It can do a couple of neat things the othe EXE's can't and has decent quirks but it's stock pods are pretty esoteric - 3 energy, 1 B, 2 M, so sure you can do something like an LB10/20 some srms and some medium lasers, but it's hard to sync with the arm weapons being so much farther from the missiles that sit atop of the crown of the head.

I mentioned neat things - you can throw two ATM12 (or 9s, more manageable), ammo some mediums or smalls. The Cherbi has got to have the two highest missile points on a mech in the game. That said, it sucks that it doesn't have any missile quirks. But ya, you can now have a giant assault ATM poptart of sorts. Just sucks the energy on the arms is so low ( for tag for instance).
I would recommend it as it is a unique chassis, but only if you are an EXE masochist of sorts.

#13 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

It was ok back when it had agility quirks. Sold it after the nerf.

#14 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

View PostArend, on 13 October 2017 - 05:15 AM, said:

Well the Esprit de Corps is on my list of getting. Don't want to get another Hellbringer since i got the clan wave 2 bundle. I was eyeing the two Hero Assault mechs.

View PostJun Watarase, on 13 October 2017 - 06:14 AM, said:

Executioner is awful. Seriously, dont get it. It needs massive massive quirks to be viable which PGI wont give because they think all clan mechs are OP when really its only laser vomit builds.

Yeah but i have a thing for all things awful. Makes me feel good when i can at least get a kill.

#15 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 13 October 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

@ Lupis
I have the Cherbi.
It can do a couple of neat things the othe EXE's can't and has decent quirks but it's stock pods are pretty esoteric - 3 energy, 1 B, 2 M, so sure you can do something like an LB10/20 some srms and some medium lasers, but it's hard to sync with the arm weapons being so much farther from the missiles that sit atop of the crown of the head.

I mentioned neat things - you can throw two ATM12 (or 9s, more manageable), ammo some mediums or smalls. The Cherbi has got to have the two highest missile points on a mech in the game. That said, it sucks that it doesn't have any missile quirks. But ya, you can now have a giant assault ATM poptart of sorts. Just sucks the energy on the arms is so low ( for tag for instance).
I would recommend it as it is a unique chassis, but only if you are an EXE masochist of sorts.

3/4s on here- I don't have the the thing that your asking about but feel inclined to comment as if I do...

Edited by JackalBeast, 13 October 2017 - 12:00 PM.

#16 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

Hard to use, not as effective as the 65ton hellbringer, but has JJs.

#17 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

I'm not sure why I'd ever take it over the EBJ. The Jag runs just as fast as the Exe with masc, and has just as much podspace. I suppose the EXE does have some extra armor, but with it's large size, and poor-ish hitboxes, I think that just makes the armor give a false sense of security.

A general thought - Most mechs running over a 350 sized engine give up so much tonnage to do so that unless you REALLY like the hardpoints, or just have to have the extra armor, you're usually better off downsizing the mech a few notches.

#18 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

I have played little with regular Executioner and I'm not impressed. It's very big, very easy to hit, it's relatively fast for it's size but only relatively. And the biggest downside is proper weapons. It's difficult to have enough firepower on it. If one can make it work, firepower-wise, it's arms seem to be able to tank a little bit damage.

I like Gargoyle much more. It's actually fast and also much smaller. With Gargoyle I just run around and pew pew with my ER-M. Both are kinda assults of their own kind, but Executioner is more spesial.

#19 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

EXE is a cool Mech

if you want to just look at in your Mech bay then get one

otherwise I would not get one

#20 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

Love the Executioners. It is a fantastic Mech and defiantly my favourite to drive. Honestly though, it takes time and practice to Matser. It isn't like any other Mech. If you are not constantly using MASC and Jump Jets then get something else like the death strike.

Your basic 2xHLL, 5-6xERML laser vomit is a good place to start to learn. MASC isn't about getting a limited time speed boost. You should be using is every time you start, stop, twist, turn, land, go up hill, etc. use as a flat speed boost only if you have spare to burn.

EXE-CH: I topped its event leader board with UAC20 and 4xASRM6. A fun brawler but you have to be patient, shield like crazy and learn to abuse the armour quirks it gets.

EXE-Prime: 2xERPPC, LPL, 6xERSL. This by far my most favourite and effective build. Did 1245 with 8 KMDD the other day. Pop tart with PPC and LPL. Brawl with LPL and ERSLs. It is not an easy build to start on. You really got to drive the EXE to make use of this configuration.

Edited by SeventhSL, 13 October 2017 - 03:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users