290 replies to this topic

#121 ShooterMcGavin80

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 14 October 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

A discussion from back in March regarding the skills tree and its impact on the game. It was my view at the time that the new economy replacing the old three mech model would be one that included non-stop monthly changes to various mechs and weapons values that would force players to rebuild their mechs and reskill them in order to act as a cbill sink among other things.

Huh. Seems to me that is exactly what we are now experiencing. These up coming changes are no more about balance than last month's. These changes are nothing more that a mechanism to force us to do things like what I was just doing: spending some xp and sp points to modify a mech from one build to another, spending some cbills replacing weapons and (and a slightly smaller engine damn it) so as to not suffer the consequences of the latest nerf to what I had been having decent results in. So stay tuned for next months totally predictable and inevitable changes when other of your favorite mechs and weapons get hit, so you can continue to participate in PGI's new economy of constant change.

Endless grind. Not sure how it fits their economic model. I'm a relatively new player coming on, and am just beginning to build up my mech collection. It is a pain in the *** when I think I finally have a build 'worked out' and can file it away and move on, buying a new pack to grind up some more builds. I'm less likely to purchase new mech packs if I have to go back and spend weeks grinding to re-build old mechs that no longer work anymore due to balance changes.

Some balance changes I am in favor of. I don't mind the gauss/PPC meta getting nerfed down. The old clan small pulse laser was very much OP and nerfing it was not a bad idea. However, I haven't seen many SPL's on the battlefield after they nerfed it into oblivion. I would like to have seen rather than a general laser nerf, a very slight buff to IS and clan SPL's to see if they could find a place again. That and light gauss and light PPC could maybe use a small buff of some kind (maybe in cooldown?). In general right now I feel like the battlefield has a pretty good sustainable mix of weapon opportunities; with the exception that small pulses and the light gauss/light PPC aren't really incorporated much.

And in general the grind process is a pain in the *** and I can only imagine very intimidating for new players. If PGI had any balls they would kill the whole skill tree system entirely. That would both lower the pain threshold for new players, and as a side effect work out to a general increase in the TTK.

#122 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

Can you guys revert all weapon balance aside from the AC velocity increase please? It would be good if patches didn't make the game worse.

Thanks.

#123 Aldodrem

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

So in other words if you own an IS that houses majority of laser hardpoints just got nerfed you'll not be a good brawler anymore unless they also buff the quirks on the chassis. (Seems they only want you to play clan where you can swap your hardpoints out and boat a dozen weapons or play poke and peek warrior. They really hate IS Brawlers apparently.)

HEY IS. The thing that made you, you. That of having better customization ny swapping all your compoents around and brawling we are going to adjust it inline so now you'll have no reason at all to not play only Clan based mechs.

ALSO: This Equipment/Weapons + This Perk is way OP I have an idea. Let's change it so now fresh purchased mechs lose their ability to compete because we'll go ahead and make the perk tree retain a bonus instead of standard Mech weapons/equipment. YAY for balance YAY

Edited by Aldodrem, 14 October 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#124 GalahadVGL13

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

I'll save the salt for the popcorn.

I'm disappointed by the nerfs.
Artemis nerf especially stings. For the cost in C-bills, tonnage, and crit space... Sure seems like the value is gone.
I think free respecs should come with any rebalance of this scale.
I truly don't get medium lasers cycling slower than larges.
I think I will be seeing lower single digits in the % of lights in the queue.
And cue the "I don't give a ####" music video. ;-)

Edited by GalahadVGL13, 14 October 2017 - 01:46 PM.

#125 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

View PostCK16, on 14 October 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

Free roam camera in testing grounds?! Yea!!!

Oh nice! Screenshots galore coming!
Haven't noticed that line on first read, this feature prolly comes from THIS POST!
I just scored 2 points in this patch. Posted Image

I'm also glad the friendly UAV will have persistent markers again.

#126 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

Was going to stop clubbing seals and switch to IS to play with my grasshoppers. Change of plans.

#127 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

After reading the comments, an old quote comes to mind...
"You Are On An Island"

-Niko Snow

The only problem is both sides will be uttering that to each other, and that seems like a big PR problem that a low-population game really can't afford. But what would a paying customer know...

#128 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

I think it would be better if lasers got increased burn time, not cooldowns. Because this hitscan weapon requires less "brain activity" to use it - you should not worry about travel time or bullet drop, you just point and click and hit the target. And current burn times, to my opinion, are not good enough as a drawback for ease of usage.

#129 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

View PostHydrocarbon, on 14 October 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

After reading the comments, an old quote comes to mind...
"You Are On An Island"

-Niko Snow

The only problem is both sides will be uttering that to each other, and that seems like a big PR problem that a low-population game really can't afford. But what would a paying customer know...

Not to quibble, as your heart is in the right place, but I don't think the "real" Island comment was from Niko; it was Russ.
Here is his explanation for it.
https://www.google.c...sj7tjlr-JTOrYxr

Only reason I know/recall this, is because I had been following PGI's MWO efforts for sometime and was about to throw obscene money at them and finally join the game. But after seeing how Russ dealt with the issue and illustrated the borderline contempt that he holds for his customers, that whole kerfuffle helped keep me away for another year. Nostalgia and the intro of CW finally pulled me in any way, but still, the point is it was Russ not Niko.

#130 salimander138

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

I would like to see a "test drive" mode where you could try before you buy.

Also, why do I pay full price to add and remove equipment such as armor and double heat sinks?
I wouldn't throw that stuff in the trash. A vastly reduced reinstall fee would be more appropriate.

#131 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

Looks like it's time to cancel the pre-order of the escalation pack, was looking forward to the Nova Cat and Night Star, but with this patch, why bother.

#132 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

The big thing about this are the laser DPM nerfs.

And... they are interesting:
  • On one hand, I appreciate the diversity added by making pulse lasers into heavy DPM weapons but not the standard and ER lasers.
  • On the other hand, let's look at who the nerf hits the most: Laser boating is capped by heat anyway. But the backup lasers on cold builds will suffer. I'm not sure if this is the intended direction...

#133 H I A S

• 4,971 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

View PostCK16, on 14 October 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Jeeez, let's think here....what season was in the past 5 months for the majority of the player base? Also I really hope you don't base this off steam -.-

Posted Image

#134 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 14 October 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Well,it seems this might help close range ballistic builds a bit. Might also help a bit when pushing if the laser vomit barrage takes a bit longer to launch its second salvo and third salvo...

Missiles get a bit weaker with more spread, which hurts particular LRMs and ATMs.
Lasers deliver less DPS, and at close range, enemies can't so easily rely just on alpha strike damage, since they are more easily pursued and have a harder time retreating to cover.

Nope, Gauss got shafted by 2kms AC/2.
Especially Light Gauss rifle.

As for the rest : light mech nerf.

#135 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostJohnathan Tanner, on 14 October 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Damn... You know its bad when the fellas want Paul back.....

Why else do you think this guy got employed by P.G.I to be worse than Paul, and take the heat, anything done badly like this spread sheet balance pass he gets the rage,

Any thing good done which frankly is rare P.G.I get the credit

#136 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

View PostVxheous, on 14 October 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Looks like it's time to cancel the pre-order of the escalation pack, was looking forward to the Nova Cat and Night Star, but with this patch, why bother.

It's really the only way to make an impression on PGI. The last pre-order I did was the MC-II and I cancelled it when PGI crapped the bed at that time. I broke down and bought the Virago because I like HBRs and it was so pretty, but that was my only weakness. Was starting to feel good about the game again so I pre-ordered the Thanatos (cause I like PUG armor). Now I'm feeling like that was a mistake. I'll wait till the patch drops in hopes that they see the light, but if it goes forward as per the patch notes, a refund request might be in order. At least the customer service people are super pleasant to deal with.

#137 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

I am beyond frustrated with this Micro Spreadsheet management of lasers. I'm not sure what stats PGI is looking at, but the balance b/w Clan and IS is seriously broken again. Laser vomit alpha's of 50-70 pts by clans in faction play and now the IS lasers get nerfed even more. 40 pt alpha vs 70pt clan alpha, x2=80 vs 140. Now I have to wait even longer to trade damage and lose on every volley??

I guess the only way to make my point is to revoke my whale wallet. Sigh...

#138 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

They are determined to make the Roughneck a good mech by breaking everything else ;)

#139 Anhydrite

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

View PostLORD ORION, on 14 October 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

They are determined to make the Roughneck a good mech by breaking everything else Posted Image

Nope, they broke the reaver also. 2x UAC5s and 4 meds will be too hot now....and less DPS.

#140 Tahawus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

PGI, redefining incompetent community management and game balance (again).

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users