Battle Of Luthien Results

196 replies to this topic

#181 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

Hey, at this point, I'd prefer Inner Sphere to be given their Mauler.

#182 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 19 October 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

If it's a 'tie,' Clans should be able to attack the planet a second time.

Hell...why wouldn't we? Nothing was decided, and the planet is still surrounded.
[...]

View PostCommander A9, on 19 October 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

I feel like one of these has to be true. Either there was a tie, and the clans can attack again (I feel would be more appropriate), or the IS won, and I get a mech :P

#183 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 19 October 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

That would require PGI to manually set it. But then the in-game ties are announced and scored as a loss for both sides, even then at the end of each FP session if one side is not sitting on the other side of that winning line, it is concerned a tie.

With that said, I wonder if PGI will publish some actual numbers like they had previously done for the Tukayyid events. We barely got anything on the last event though, it was like trying to pull teeth from pitbull.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 October 2017 - 07:11 PM.

#184 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 19 October 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

If it's a 'tie,' Clans should be able to attack the planet a second time.

Hell...why wouldn't we? Nothing was decided, and the planet is still surrounded.

Why not have PGI take the time to set up a decent competition Tukayyid style and have us play this properly, with an actual clear winner, not just a winner by proxy or technicality?

Take the maximum number of wins both Factions accrue for the entire length of the competition, and let THAT decide the winner! That way, we don't have a last-minute gen-rush screw up 4 days of hard-fought work for a given side.

You can because due to Clan Law, you can't. You bargained troops for the push, and you failed. it's not like you don't have four other Capitals to attack anyways.

also, FYI, now you know how the IS felt every Tukayyid battle. Tukayyid ended in Clan player primetime. the battle of Luthien did not. Clans did the exact same thing the IS did EVERY other times. don't be sore losers, especially when the IS BARELY pulled off a tie.

Edited by Arkhangel, 19 October 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#185 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 19 October 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

With that said, I wonder if PGI will publish some actual numbers like they had previously done for the Tukayyid events. We barely got anything on the last event though, it was like trying to pull teeth from pitbull.

They said they would.

However I think what they publish will be heavily dependent on how it makes PGI look. If Clan win ratio is too high they will dilute it with IS scouting wins. If participation is low they'll try to disguise that too.

#186 Captain Zapp

• PipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:12 PM

First and foremost, I would thank PGI for the 100MC and significant c-bill prizes won in this event and had these been all that was on offer , they still may well have been worth competing for.
That said, it is such a crying shame the apparent value of such lucrative prizes has been completely overshadowed by the feeling the event has left me with of been short changed as a result of the win / loss mech debacle, regardless of which faction I played.

I have two accounts, played both sides and yet still felt aggrieved as a player on either side, which really takes some doing. Way to go

Perhaps future events may benefit from greater customer awareness of the possible consequences before offering prizes that appear to be straight forward before subsequently denying them as unseen entities and as for wrapping all this up in fairy tale scenario about quartermasters .............best left unsaid.

As I said, a crying shame and apt lesson in how to turn a silk purse into a sow's ear, one that will hopefully be learnt from.

Edited by Captain Zapp, 19 October 2017 - 11:18 PM.

#187 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:20 AM

@Zapp: IS didn't get the prize because from the standpoint War-wise we actually "won," the Draconis Combine also pretty much lost most of what it was fighting to protect in the first place. while yes, granted, this wasn't listed on the event, the fact is up until now, PGI didn't actually have precedent for this kind of thing happening.

but then, if you take it from the standpoint of people who actually know their lore of the game universe... well.. Tukayyid is just some random planet for a lot of people. Luthien's the capital world of the Draconis Combine, meaning the DCMS loyalists were willing to fight tooth and nail to protect it, just like the LCAF guys likely will for Tharkad, or any other house's loyalist units for their respective ones. for loyalists, it's not just about the rewards. it's the fact you kicked the *** of the guys who tried to decapitate your House.

That and knowing that by Clan rules, they don't get another shot at it.

#188 Troa Barton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 356 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUS

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:43 AM

It's total bull that it didn't count as a victory as last time I checked fending off an invading force counted as one.

#189 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:38 AM

does it if the place you were defending got levelled?

to use a quote: "War isn't about who is right. It's about who's left."

a Pyrrhic victory, while a victory, isn't the way you'd wanna win a war.

Edited by Arkhangel, 20 October 2017 - 03:45 AM.

#190 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

View PostArkhangel, on 20 October 2017 - 01:38 AM, said:

does it if the place you were defending got levelled?

to use a quote: "War isn't about who is right. It's about who's left."

a Pyrrhic victory, while a victory, isn't the way you'd wanna win a war.

Yes, even if vaporised. Symbolism cannot be understated. To use another quote:

"What is Jerusalem worth?"
"Nothing. Everything."

Edited by arcana75, 20 October 2017 - 06:16 AM.

#191 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

you guys should really reconsider the winning condition.

the fact that only the last 2 hours matter was a huge issue for most of CWs existence, and this outcome was, quite frankly, predictable.

Just make the higher number of total wins be the deciding factor.

#192 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:34 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 20 October 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

you guys should really reconsider the winning condition.

the fact that only the last 2 hours matter was a huge issue for most of CWs existence, and this outcome was, quite frankly, predictable.

Just make the higher number of total wins be the deciding factor.

not really the best idea, given how disproportionate the population of players is currently. if the population actually got equalized between the sides, then your idea would work, but as it stands, it's incredibly stupid to do it that way.

also funny as hell Clanners pick now of all times to ***** about how IS won, given it's the exact same way they've won EVERY FW event to date i can remember, simply due to the fact that the events ended with clan primetime (US timezone). we have an event end NOT in their primetime and they lose, barely, and suddenly the goddamned world is ending?

#193 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

View PostArkhangel, on 20 October 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

not really the best idea, given how disproportionate the population of players is currently. if the population actually got equalized between the sides, then your idea would work, but as it stands, it's incredibly stupid to do it that way.

also funny as hell Clanners pick now of all times to ***** about how IS won, given it's the exact same way they've won EVERY FW event to date i can remember, simply due to the fact that the events ended with clan primetime (US timezone). we have an event end NOT in their primetime and they lose, barely, and suddenly the goddamned world is ending?

dude. they have a 3 days event of which only two hours matter. Literally two hours. They might aswell could have made a 2 hours event, because the rest of the 3 days ment jack. nothing.

Just think about this for a second. A timespan of two hours during off-hours was solely decided factor by the last two hours. That is utter b*llshit.

This isn't about IS/Clan grognardism, i don't f*cking care about lore or factions, if i'm playing CW at all, i'm chosing the faction the guys in my unit ask me to. That aside, we previously had events with most wins as win condition (recent Tukayyid iirc) and it worked.

The fact that only the last two hours matter has been a huge problem for much of CW existence and PGI emphasizes it with the win condition design.

Edited by meteorol, 20 October 2017 - 09:34 AM.

#194 Atticus Cross

Rookie

• The Jaws
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

View Postmeteorol, on 20 October 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

The fact that only the last two hours matter has been a huge problem for much of CW existence and PGI emphasizes it with the win condition design.

A win condition isn't a design. It's the stated goal for winning the event. If it's by count, then after the designated period of time the team with the highest number of wins satisfies the win condition.

The fact is team, there's little point in us all arguing about it if PGI aren't going to comment. This is purely PGI's bungle whichever way you look at it. In their original event description they set out two possible win conditions. A purely binary outcome was possible. If a system was in place to provide a more elaborate pre-mission brief, outlining vital assets, and setting conditions along the way "Hold the bar past this point for this long and the IS can't bring in the reinforcements required to save the refineries" or "Win this many victories and the mech construction plants are destroyed in the fighting", it would allow for a stalemate such as befits Arkhangel's narrative.

Unfortunately the fact is PGI provided only two potential outcomes, until after the conclusion of the event where they introduced a third. Everybody loses. Normally, abusive parents result in the kids uniting to look after each other, here, it does the opposite, everyone squabbles.

#195 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:14 AM

EVERYONE, PLEASE DIRECT FURTHER DISCUSSION TO THE FOLLOWING THREAD...

-->> https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/258550-battle-of-luthien-statistics/

...and please pardon the caps from trying to get your collective attention, thanks. B)

~Mr. D. V. "We should NOT have the discussion split all over the place." Devnull

[Edit by Post Author because something got messed up!]

Edited by D V Devnull, 21 October 2017 - 01:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users