#1 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:32 PM

Interesting dichotomy...

Been here since 2nd round of beta access. Like most players with my intestinal fortitude, I hung around through the good times and bad in hopes of this game growing and flourishing... Only to watch it wallow and wander in mediocrity as both the game and its developer never setting their preverbal feet and choosing a direction.

After years of good games and bad... I kind'a got fed up with MWO and my own personal inability to be a strong contributing player to team wins and the general uppity attitude of the higher-tier players.

Along come MW5 and I'm happy as a clam because now I can play my favorite genre and not have to deal with "people". Beautiful game, lots of bells and whistles...

...And Soulless.

After playing roughly half-way through all the bells and whistles wore off, I found myself bored and tired of playing with myself (That came out wrong eh?).

Came back to MWO, invested in playing a weight class (medium), found a mechs that fit "me" and my PSR seems to have me playing with the right players, my play has improved and I'm finding myself really enjoying MWO again.

Point of this brief vomit of thought... Yes, MWO has plenty of warts. Yes, the MM can bend you over and tickle your colon from time to time. And yes, it's still as shallow as a kiddy pool. But after all these years I finally understand and appreciate the the true heart and soul of this game is it's player base. Something that one doesn't really appreciate until it's gone.

See you on the battlefield!

Edited by DaZur, 05 October 2020 - 09:33 PM.

#2 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:47 PM

Eh, it got old pretty quickly to me. I went back for a bit, uninstalled, reinstalled, and then uninstalled, and that's just within a single month.

I wish I had MW5, I heard that modders were fixing it. Of course I'm waiting for the steam release.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 05 October 2020 - 09:48 PM.

#3 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:53 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 05 October 2020 - 09:47 PM, said:

Eh, it got old pretty quickly to me. I went back for a bit, uninstalled, reinstalled, and then uninstalled, and that's just within a single month.

I wish I had MW5, I heard that modders were fixing it. Of course I'm waiting for the steam release.

Obviously mileage does vary... That said, your tier and what you consider competitive probably has a lot to do with your enjoyment level. Well, that and depth of general game play.

I do really like MW5. I just found it repetitive and mundane. Hopefully the DLC (whenever that manifests) can liven it up for me.

#4 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:41 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 05 October 2020 - 09:47 PM, said:

Xbox Game Pass PC. Subscribe for a month, play MW5 for a couple of hours, cancel subscription uninstall MW5. Well i kept the game pass because its actually very cheap and if theres just 2 games you like you got the money "back" again.

#5 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,422 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:43 AM

GOOD to see "newer" players returning back to MWO.

You're not the only one ;)

View PostDaZur, on 05 October 2020 - 09:32 PM, said:

Interesting dichotomy...

Been here since 2nd round of beta access. Like most players with my intestinal fortitude, I hung around through the good times and bad in hopes of this game growing and flourishing... Only to watch it wallow and wander in mediocrity as both the game and its developer never setting their preverbal feet and choosing a direction.

After years of good games and bad... I kind'a got fed up with MWO and my own personal inability to be a strong contributing player to team wins and the general uppity attitude of the higher-tier players.

Along come MW5 and I'm happy as a clam because now I can play my favorite genre and not have to deal with "people". Beautiful game, lots of bells and whistles...

...And Soulless.

After playing roughly half-way through all the bells and whistles wore off, I found myself bored and tired of playing with myself (That came out wrong eh?).

Came back to MWO, invested in playing a weight class (medium), found a mechs that fit "me" and my PSR seems to have me playing with the right players, my play has improved and I'm finding myself really enjoying MWO again.

Point of this brief vomit of thought... Yes, MWO has plenty of warts. Yes, the MM can bend you over and tickle your colon from time to time. And yes, it's still as shallow as a kiddy pool. But after all these years I finally understand and appreciate the the true heart and soul of this game is it's player base. Something that one doesn't really appreciate until it's gone.

See you on the battlefield!

#6 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:57 PM

Great to hear OP!

I love the game now, just love it, so great to be able to hop on and have 2-3 fun matches and not know how it's going to go.

Maybe it was my extended break, but personally I don't get upset by rankings, MM, PSR, lack of content, etc... I think stepping away and then coming back made it more about what there is available to play then what there wasn't. The few weeks after the PSR in the summer was rough but was well worth it.

The only gripes I have anymore are the uppity types the OP talked about and honestly I can ignore that pretty easily now. When I first came back it bothered me to hear guys endlessly trying to convince everyone how big their virtual penis was by talking crap about other people, and bitching like PGI was an old girlfriend who left them for a quarter back (or boyfriend and cheerleader... (or quarterback LOL))).

Now I just laugh my butt off when I stumble across the 'humble-brag' posts bemoaning how the MM is broken and it is too easy for them because of all the low skill players, or squelched em in game.

This game is fantastic, it may not be perfect (Hatchet man!!!) but is so much better and uses more Battletech lore than I or anybody had a chance to expect.

Thanks for starting the thread!

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:10 PM

it has its charms, i just wish it had a more serious developer. one more interested in making great games rather than pedaling in shovelware.

mw5 may have held my attention for a couple months but mwo held it for years. probably more through sunk cost fallacy and stockholm syndrome, than being a great experience, but it held.

Edited by LordNothing, 07 October 2020 - 02:12 PM.

#8 Shepherd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 07:17 AM

I too am back into the game after a long hiatus. I too backed the game when it initially came out. Still running around in my Founder's Jenner and Founder's Hunchback. Never was worth beans as an assault pilot so my Atlas just sits there in the mechbay, and from time to time I take out the Catapult and have a little fun with it, but I'm a light or medium guy at heart.

I can't really say why I stopped playing. I played all through beta and the initial years of the game. Survived LRMageddon and melee and all of that. I don't even remember why I stopped. I was in a clan that had good people, we had lots of fun... probably just life getting busy and less time for the game.

I enjoy the game as it is currently. It's changed a lot over the years, some changes I like and some I don't. I'm still mainly running in the mechs I first played in, they are not meta, but they are still fun. I have good matches and bad matches. My own instincts and skill as a pilot and as a gunner make a BIG difference which is great. I may not be playing to the meta, but I'm finding that playing old school isn't completely trash. I look at my old Founder's Jenner and I think, the old girl still has fight in her.

And I guess that sums up my feelings about this game. "The old girl still has fight in her." There are loads of changes, some I like and some I don't, but it's still what I signed up for years and years ago. A 10 minute fight that rewards smart positioning and accurate gunnery, with just enough variety in maps and play modes to keep things spicy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users