64 replies to this topic

#1 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:53 AM

Since i came back about 2 weeks ago i noticed i often get internal damage without overheating and i also sometimes die. I hear the "Override shutdown" when my heat isnt high enough to shut me down.

Anyone else?

#2 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

IIRC, the override and the damage start at 90% instead of 100% as in the past.

Edit: nope. Tested in in the testing grounds. skimming around 99% heat for several seconds caused no damage whatsoever.

Edited by Paigan, 25 October 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#3 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

View PostPaigan, on 23 October 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

gah. wtf and why?

actually, i only hit 91% 1/10th of a sec and it put me in the orange and yellow on 2 part.

#4 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:58 AM

Damn. I hoped someone else would answer, too, to see if I remember it correctly.
Anyone? Yes, no, maybe?

#5 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:20 AM

I can't confirm this. Damage only starts when heat goes beyond 100%. As long as you stay below 100% there should be no shutdown or damage. Otherwise it's a bug.
You can easily test this in training grounds.

#6 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:22 AM

I have none of the issues. I think damage due to overheating is rather low as it is.

#7 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:25 AM

I might be wrong but you can boost that in the skill tree, so that the threshold is higher? Not sure exactly where it starts naturally either to be honest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#8 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 543 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:45 AM

I tried it in testing grounds and never took damage below 100% that I could tell. Don't seem to recall it happening in-game either.

When I first read this post a few days ago I thought maybe this was PGI's way of conditioning us for a revised (lower) heat scale with negative effects at different thresholds. But it seems this isn't the case, which is kind of a shame actually. I wouldn't be opposed to such a change to be honest.

#9 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:50 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 25 October 2017 - 04:25 AM, said:

I might be wrong but you can boost that in the skill tree, so that the threshold is higher? Not sure exactly where it starts naturally either to be honest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What you can boost in the Skill Tree is the amount of heat you can accumulate until you hit the 100%, but it does not change the behavior of the heat gauge/scale, you will still overheat only when above 100%.

Example:
Imagine you have the standard 10 internal DHS which give you 50 Heat Capacity. So 100% on the heat scale means you have 'used' all 50 pts of your heat capacity. When your scale is at 50% you have used 25 pts of your capacity.

The heat containment skill tree nodes only increase your heat capacity. Lets assume you got the full 15% bonus from all heat containment nodes. This means you now have a heat capacity of 57,5. The heat scale still goes from 0-100% but this time 100% means 57,5 pts of used heat capacity and 50% means you used 28,75 pts.

So in both cases being at 90% heat has no negative effects, the scale only shows the percentage of your used heat capacity. And internal damage and/or shutdown only occurs when you use more heat than your mech' capacity (so your heat scale goes beyond 100%).

Edited by Daggett, 25 October 2017 - 04:54 AM.

#10 FunkyT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAt the Front, overextending, with no support

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:52 AM

Can't say I've ever had that issue, but a couple months back some players (me among them) reported some wonky things with the heat gauge, possibly in combination with flame throwers being pointed your way.

Here's one of the threads in the patch feedback section:
https://mwomercs.com...heating-glitch/

The bottom line was, that the heat gauge in your UI and your mechs actual heat-value likely are 2 different entities, the first being on your local- (client-) side, the second one being on the server side. I don't know if this has been resolved, but some time ago flamers could seemingly throw off this connection between the two, causing you to overheat while being way below 100% heat on your UI. In essence, your UI wouldn't display the correct value, and you'd overheat without knowing what your actual heat is at on the server side.

Maybe your issue may have a similar root, dunno.
Other than that, I'm pretty sure overheat damage isn't supposed to kick in below 100% of your heat gauge. Anything else is not working as intended, I'd say

Edited by FunkyT, 25 October 2017 - 04:57 AM.

#11 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:08 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 23 October 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

Since i came back about 2 weeks ago i noticed i often get internal damage without overheating and i also sometimes die. I hear the "Override shutdown" when my heat isnt high enough to shut me down.

Anyone else?

What's strange is that there is only an "override shutdown" message when you activate the override by yourself. It is not triggered automatically by any action in the game. Once you activated the override it is displayed in your cockpit the whole match and you never hear the message sound again. When you now overheat it simply prevents you from getting shutdowned, but it does so quietly.

So maybe you described something different like the warning sound from using MASC? Using MASC too much is the only other way i know to get internal damage to armored components, so what you describe sounds more like you killed your legs by MASCing too much rather than by overheating. Posted Image

Edit:
What FunkyT wrote sounds possible too. Can you remember if flamers have been involved when you took internal damage?

Edited by Daggett, 25 October 2017 - 05:11 AM.

#12 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

The heat bar animation is bugged, it's resting position is wrong. I've found it to start at less than 0% at times, like -5%. For example, you alpha and your heats goes from 0 to 55%, so it's a 55% heat alpha right? Wrong. As the bar is sliding down, alpha again right when it hits 0%, and you rocket up to 65%. Basically the starting position is -10% which is why 90% is actually 100%.

#13 Big MO

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

OP, I haven't seen this exact issue but it seems related to other issues I have seen where server side and client side do not agree. For me, this most commonly occurs with the visual display of the targeted mech. Even after I hit him with weapons, the enemy paper doll does not always update on my side. Visually, I see the component (arm) come off enemy mech, but sometimes it is still just damaged on my display. My paper doll gets out of sync as well, especially when I get hit with an air strike. Sometimes that resets my mech to yellow armor damage all over, when I know that I am much more damaged.

#14 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

View PostDaggett, on 25 October 2017 - 05:08 AM, said:

What's strange is that there is only an "override shutdown" message when you activate the override by yourself. It is not triggered automatically by any action in the game. Once you activated the override it is displayed in your cockpit the whole match and you never hear the message sound again. When you now overheat it simply prevents you from getting shutdowned, but it does so quietly.

So maybe you described something different like the warning sound from using MASC? Using MASC too much is the only other way i know to get internal damage to armored components, so what you describe sounds more like you killed your legs by MASCing too much rather than by overheating. Posted Image

Agreed, that hud warning system at least needs work, as someone who runs override shutdown by default (unless I forget to hit the dang button Posted Image ), it gets in the way of other warnings and just becomes clutter in general.

#15 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:09 AM

View PostNightbird, on 25 October 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

The heat bar animation is bugged, it's resting position is wrong. I've found it to start at less than 0% at times, like -5%. For example, you alpha and your heats goes from 0 to 55%, so it's a 55% heat alpha right? Wrong. As the bar is sliding down, alpha again right when it hits 0%, and you rocket up to 65%. Basically the starting position is -10% which is why 90% is actually 100%.

It's more bugged than that. I had one build where one alpha would send me to about 40% heat, and a second would send me into significant overheating (long shutdown, significant engine damage)

#16 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:16 AM

this has happened to me on many occasions. My mechs are shutting down at 40-50-60 percent heat for no reason what so ever. its pretty annoying when it happens. I think something gets bugged in the heat calculations vs the heat display.

I suspect it is due to some math precision issue with specific load outs and skill tree nodes. if you get the right combo it start tossing bad numbers.

Edited by Bigbacon, 25 October 2017 - 07:18 AM.

#17 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

View PostDaggett, on 25 October 2017 - 05:08 AM, said:

Once you activated the override it is displayed in your cockpit the whole match and you never hear the message sound again. When you now overheat it simply prevents you from getting shutdowned, but it does so quietly.

You DO hear it. First thing i do every match is hit the Override then i dim the light and lock the arms if needed.

View PostShifty McSwift, on 25 October 2017 - 04:25 AM, said:

My current mech dont have the cooldown/heat threshold tree feated. This might be a UI bug where it shows you the max you can get instead of what you have. This will be easy to test, though i will have to spend points and testing ground dont always work the same way as live multiplayer. Overriding in multiplayer used to instantly kill you with a headshot while in multi you could get away with it.

View PostFunkyT, on 25 October 2017 - 04:52 AM, said:

Can't say I've ever had that issue, but a couple months back some players (me among them) reported some wonky things with the heat gauge, possibly in combination with flame throwers being pointed your way.

Here's one of the threads in the patch feedback section:
https://mwomercs.com...heating-glitch/

In my last documented event i had flamers pointed my way. But i dont know about my other times. Pretty sure i had it happen when i was alone with friends after killing a mech.

Edited by DAYLEET, 25 October 2017 - 10:52 AM.

#18 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

Heat gauge can be inaccurate during matches, showing a higher or lower % of heat than there actually is at times.

#19 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 25 October 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

Heat gauge can be inaccurate during matches, showing a higher or lower % of heat than there actually is at times.

I think that might have been my actual problem, too.

#20 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 25 October 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

You DO hear it. First thing i do every match is hit the Override then i dim the light and lock the arms if needed.

Are you sure? I tested it in testing grounds and while in match. In both cases the "Overide Shutdown"-voice was only played when i hit the override-button, then never again. I just even accidentially killed myself because i had not realized that i was already beyond 100%. If there is any sound effect telling me that i just entered hell it is so subtle that i can't even hear it with my headphones...

The only warning from heat i hear is the usual "Heat Level Critical" at 80%, then nothing more until i explode from overheating if i keep firing...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users