Jump to content

What Is The Best Single Slot Gpu?


87 replies to this topic

#21 Tarl Cabot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,000 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

View PostEl Desafiador, on 25 October 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

the 1050 is a very good card but is essentially a no go for me because it is dual slot/what is the best card to get an easy 20-25 fps. or really anything better than the amd 6350... the 6350 is only a 650mhz card. are there any amd gpus that are single slot and low power that will work for mwo?

And... I do not ever have anything up other than mwo, just to get that extra few fps!


https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1 is the gt 710 that I will get...

I do not believe that card fit your case, as it has available 3 connectors. For the slim factor, half bay size, and not just one slot, the backplate will have room for a max of two connectors next to each other, as soon in the pic above.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 October 2017 - 06:32 PM.


#22 NARC BAIT

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

those 1050ti's are available in Australia ... I can see multiple low profile versions, but they all pretty much seem to occupy more than a single for their coolers ... or struggle to be low profile ...

https://www.scorptec...-1050-Ti-4GT-LP
Posted Image

https://www.scorptec...-ZT-P10510A-10L
Posted Image

https://www.scorptec...-GV-N105TOC-4GL
Posted Image


#23 Tarl Cabot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,000 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

Looking at those cards, I do not believe those would fit as they are not half bay cards. Each of them can technically have 3 monitor connectors laid across the plate.

A half bay/half height GPU plate would look like this, be it one or two connectors.

NVIDIA 2GB GeForce GT 710 Half Height Low Profile

https://www.newegg.c...J9856-_-Product

Like this one..nVIDIA GeForce GT 610 Half Height Low Profile

https://www.newegg.c...00124-_-Product

Posted Image

With that said, the CPU could be upgraded with a Sandy Bridge CPU that is based on the Intel B75 chipset and the LGA 1155 though with the i5/i7 and playing MWO, may also require a updated small form factor PSU.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 October 2017 - 07:01 PM.


#24 MovinTarget

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,822 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:03 AM

Again, you have to ask yourself, if you are willing to pay for all these bandaids, are you better off buying a much newer system thats still on the cheap?

There's a gamble of hardware failure either way, but apart from xWiredx's suggestion of taking off the baffle and squeezing a (small, but 2 slot) 1050Ti onto your current board for ~$160, you should seriously consider upgrading in general due to costs.

The problem is that sure you can get an old Sandy Bridge chip, but its a modest improvement on your current situation at best and leaves very little room for additional growth. You can probably get a refurb system *now* that has more potential for growth in the $200-$300 range that would be a better platform for adding new components in the future.

Granted, you can get a I5 2500 for about $110 on newegg right now (again refurb), but then you may have to keep the cooling system that takes up so much space and not fit the 1050Ti...

You have a couple of different things working against you, the fact that most Dells (and other mass produced "business" desktop models) are basically not designed for much updating/growth/expansion which is why they squeeze everything into a tiny box to minimize the desktop footprint.

Hence business computer vs gaming computer...

Edited by MovinTarget, 26 October 2017 - 04:04 AM.


#25 xWiredx

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 26 October 2017 - 04:03 AM, said:

Again, you have to ask yourself, if you are willing to pay for all these bandaids, are you better off buying a much newer system thats still on the cheap?

There's a gamble of hardware failure either way, but apart from xWiredx's suggestion of taking off the baffle and squeezing a (small, but 2 slot) 1050Ti onto your current board for ~$160, you should seriously consider upgrading in general due to costs.

The problem is that sure you can get an old Sandy Bridge chip, but its a modest improvement on your current situation at best and leaves very little room for additional growth. You can probably get a refurb system *now* that has more potential for growth in the $200-$300 range that would be a better platform for adding new components in the future.

Granted, you can get a I5 2500 for about $110 on newegg right now (again refurb), but then you may have to keep the cooling system that takes up so much space and not fit the 1050Ti...

You have a couple of different things working against you, the fact that most Dells (and other mass produced "business" desktop models) are basically not designed for much updating/growth/expansion which is why they squeeze everything into a tiny box to minimize the desktop footprint.

Hence business computer vs gaming computer...

Again, ^this.

There is a fundamental problem with upgrading the CPU: it requires more energy. You can get a lower-end, but still better, Sandy Bridge chip but it will almost certainly use more energy even if the TDPs are equal (as TDP is not a representation of actual power usage). More energy use means more heat generated, too. That means if you upgrade the CPU, you've got to worry about cooling in a SFF case. Like I said, you could use Thermal Grizzly or MX-4 to help a little bit with that, but if you're also upgrading the CPU then the benefit is basically null. What you would gain in dissipation you would lose in greater heat from an upgraded CPU.

The upgraded GPU is going to be heavily bottlenecked by the CPU, so even with everything at low you're not going to gain much in FPS. Or, rather, you might see a gain in maximum and average FPS, but your minimum FPS will either be the same or lower. The lower the minimum, the more 'choppy' your experience could end up being.

Overall, I'd still stick with replacing the thermal paste, keep the CPU, and get a 1050 or 1050 Ti. That card can be put into a new system when more budget opens up. A new Sandy Bridge CPU... won't. This late in the game, a Sandy Bridge platform just isn't worth it. The parts are old, almost all EOL, and Haswell parts won't carry much if any of a price premium over them. So if you're making one purchase, the GPU should be it.

Realistically, though, I'd save up and plan on a new system. Technically, we can assist you with building a new system with any budget, but a minimum of $500 is kind of the rule, and preferably $700+.

Edited by xWiredx, 26 October 2017 - 06:29 AM.


#26 MovinTarget

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,822 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:59 AM

And like mentioned before, upgrade the CPU, you'll most certainly need to upgrade the PSU...

#27 xWiredx

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

Well, most likely. I mean, that Pentium is already a 65W TDP CPU and there were even i3s with the same TDP (example: i3 2130). They definitely used more energy overall, but the difference isn't enough to warrant a new PSU.

Then again, I wouldn't trust a 7 year-old PSU from Dell for anything. If it were a Seasonic or Super Flower, sure. Dell? NOPE.

#28 Commander Taylor

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 26 October 2017 - 06:23 AM, said:

Again, ^this.

There is a fundamental problem with upgrading the CPU: it requires more energy. You can get a lower-end, but still better, Sandy Bridge chip but it will almost certainly use more energy even if the TDPs are equal (as TDP is not a representation of actual power usage). More energy use means more heat generated, too. That means if you upgrade the CPU, you've got to worry about cooling in a SFF case. Like I said, you could use Thermal Grizzly or MX-4 to help a little bit with that, but if you're also upgrading the CPU then the benefit is basically null. What you would gain in dissipation you would lose in greater heat from an upgraded CPU.

The upgraded GPU is going to be heavily bottlenecked by the CPU, so even with everything at low you're not going to gain much in FPS. Or, rather, you might see a gain in maximum and average FPS, but your minimum FPS will either be the same or lower. The lower the minimum, the more 'choppy' your experience could end up being.

Overall, I'd still stick with replacing the thermal paste, keep the CPU, and get a 1050 or 1050 Ti. That card can be put into a new system when more budget opens up. A new Sandy Bridge CPU... won't. This late in the game, a Sandy Bridge platform just isn't worth it. The parts are old, almost all EOL, and Haswell parts won't carry much if any of a price premium over them. So if you're making one purchase, the GPU should be it.

Realistically, though, I'd save up and plan on a new system. Technically, we can assist you with building a new system with any budget, but a minimum of $500 is kind of the rule, and preferably $700+.


the core i3 I was planning on adding is also 65 watts, the pentium g645 I have in this is exchangeable with all products formerly sandy bridge https://ark.intel.co...00/Sandy-Bridge

Edited by El Desafiador, 26 October 2017 - 12:31 PM.


#29 Commander Taylor

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

NEW INTEL! My gpu is clocked at 400mhz... soo um I think that's going to be the problem. so even the gt 710 will be better than this, and hopefully I will get at least 20 fps.

#30 dwwolf

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

http://www.game-deba...-radeon-hd-6350

Expect ~+33% FPS if you are solely GPU bound ( arguable ) from the GPU exchange.

What you really want is a cheap GT 720. The GT 710 was a previous generation rehash at the old 40nm process.

The GT720 is on a 28nm node and even consumes the same wattage as your HD 6350 while being ~twice as powerfull as the GT710 on the Texture and Pixel fillrate. It has 4x the Shaderpower of the GT 710 !

If you really want to push it to 30 watts then the GT1030 is much better again. You could underclock it and still get better results than the GT720.

Both cards have low profile versions available.

Edited by dwwolf, 26 October 2017 - 01:05 PM.


#31 MovinTarget

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,822 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

Dude, I feel bad saying this... but if your goal is to hit 20fps, you really don't know what you are missing...

#32 Commander Taylor

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

^^^I've been playing at 10 fps for a year now, I'm on my second account and my first account I got to tier 1.^^^ honestly I would even be fine with 15 fps! 60 fps would be like a dream within a dream!

View Postdwwolf, on 26 October 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

http://www.game-deba...-radeon-hd-6350

Expect ~+33% FPS if you are solely GPU bound ( arguable ) from the GPU exchange.

What you really want is a cheap GT 720. The GT 710 was a previous generation rehash at the old 40nm process.

The GT720 is on a 28nm node and even consumes the same wattage as your HD 6350 while being ~twice as powerfull as the GT710 on the Texture and Pixel fillrate. It has 4x the Shaderpower of the GT 710 !

If you really want to push it to 30 watts then the GT1030 is much better again. You could underclock it and still get better results than the GT720.

Both cards have low profile versions available.


the gt 710 v2 has the same specs as the gt 720... so...

And I do know what Im missing, im just REALLY tight on money right now!

Edited by El Desafiador, 26 October 2017 - 01:44 PM.


#33 Commander Taylor

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

so... the gt 1030 is the best sff single slot card available?

Edited by Commander Taylor, 03 August 2018 - 07:03 PM.


#34 dwwolf

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

Not quite.
I'm sure there are some SFF 1050's out there.
But thats 75 watt compared to 30.

#35 dwwolf

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

View PostEl Desafiador, on 26 October 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

^^^I've been playing at 10 fps for a year now, I'm on my second account and my first account I got to tier 1.^^^ honestly I would even be fine with 15 fps! 60 fps would be like a dream within a dream!


the gt 710 v2 has the same specs as the gt 720... so...

And I do know what Im missing, im just REALLY tight on money right now!


Hah, missed that the one you want is the 2016 refresh, yeah, no comparison then.
You are good to go on that one.

#36 Ed Steele

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationOn the Argo with my "Outlaws For Hire".

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Zotac 1080 Ti is the best < $1000 card. They also make a "mini" version of the standard GTX 1080, which is good for smaller cases.

Edited by Ed Steele, 26 October 2017 - 02:56 PM.


#37 Tarl Cabot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,000 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostEl Desafiador, on 26 October 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

so... the gt 1030 is the best sff single slit card available?

Just remember, the card needs to be a half height card or half height ready which then you will need Low Profile / Half Height Bracket HDMI + DVI + VGA.

PNY GeForce GT 730 1gig - shows it comes with half height bracket set
https://www.newegg.c...N82E16814133542

ASUS GeForce GT 730 2gig - shows it comes with height bracket set
https://www.newegg.c...82E16814121881R

There are less expensive refurbished cards but they lack the half height brackets, which the brackets themselves range from $7 (amazaon) and more on newegg.

Hmm,..

ZOTAC GeForce GT 1030 2GB - shows a half height bracket pictured with the cd and quick install instructions. Amazon shows it having that bracket too.
https://www.newegg.c...N82E16814500424

ZOTAC GeForce GT 1030
Low-profile bracket <<<<< yeapers
Quick Install Guide
Driver Disk

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 October 2017 - 03:06 PM.


#38 Commander Taylor

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

Thank you for all your help guys, but I think I will go with the gt 1030 https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1 and just underclock...
thank you all, I hope to see you in battle.

#39 Tarl Cabot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,000 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

View PostEl Desafiador, on 26 October 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Thank you for all your help guys, but I think I will go with the gt 1030 https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1 and just underclock...
thank you all, I hope to see you in battle.

Hmm, unless you are purchasing the half height brackets separately for $7+, that will not fit as the plate it comes with is meant for a normal case. There was a reason I posted the pictures and descriptions.....

If getting from Amazon, this one does have the additional half height bracket
https://www.amazon.c...2_t3_B071LGVBDM

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 26 October 2017 - 05:46 PM.


#40 McHoshi

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

You really don´t want to have a new GPU for this game because this game is bound to raw CPU power. Get yourself a good Intel Cpu and you are fine to run this game smooth as hell. ( i am using an old amd setup and it´s lagging as hell sometimes ). Posted Image





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users