Certain Units Are The Reason This Game Is Losing Players.

405 replies to this topic

#401 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:18 AM

View Postoldradagast, on 03 November 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

Then if it was supposed to be a competitive team mode only for high-end teams, small groups, PUG's, and low-skill players shouldn't be allowed to play it. And / or put a skill-based matchmaker in place that offers some hope of quality matches where both sides have some reasonable chance of winning.

People can whine all they want about PUG's and casuals "not gittin gud nuf" to play FP, but that doesn't change the fact that any game mode that allows and even encourages stupidly one-sided games that are decided at pairings is a crappy, unbalanced game mode, not some pinnacle of "high skill."

Back to the football example again: If a sporting event organizer allowed or even encouraged random nobody teams to get their arses kicked by pro NFL teams every Sunday as a big televised event, it would be a stupid, boring, one-sided game that nobody would want to watch and quickly few people would want to play (unless the NFL team enjoys the easy wins.) Complaining that the casual nobody team just should "git gud" does not address the fundamental problem with the game mode.

Every serious game out there that is truly "high skill" has some sort of match-making in place to discourage pointless, one-sided stomps created by monstrous skill disparities. FP has no reason to be an exception, save for the try-hards who want their free kills against "stoopid noobs."

Amen bro this is what we tried to tell Russ and PGI from the beginning make a easy pug Fp mode so new players pugs and casuals could play learn the game mode then move on to a harder unit based FP game mode with units only if they choose to or be recruited by units in a huge Social game lobby after there entry trials.

But NOOOOO!!!!! Says PGI lets throw them all in the same POT unskilled untrained PUGS/Casuals/New Players against units it has always been a massacre and led to many players uninstalling the game.

What a waste

Edited by KingCobra, 03 November 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#402 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

You could have had a QP-style "raiding" mode that's 8v8 soloqueued, being only divided by factions that falls between scouting and invasion.

You could call it Skirmish or something.

#403 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 03 November 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

Amen bro this is what we tried to tell Russ and PGI from the beginning make a easy pug Fp mode so new players pugs and casuals could play learn the game mode then move on to a harder unit based FP game mode with units only if they choose to or be recruited by units in a huge Social game lobby after there entry trials.

But NOOOOO!!!!! Says PGI lets throw them all in the same POT unskilled untrained PUGS/Casuals/New Players against units it has always been a massacre and led to many players uninstalling the game.

What a waste

That's because FP is so bad to begin with that they can't even get a queue to pop without bribing everyone with events. Otherwise they last for hours.

#404 DANKnuggz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

**SIGH** I read OP's post and the only thing I get from it is that they're upset they joined a portion of the game designed to be better suited to groups... tried to run solo anyway and are getting stomped.

So should they make FP into solo puglet land then simply because players want the FP rewards w/o the actual work of doing things like "making friends" or "coordinating"???

Consider making friends and joining coordinated groups as part of the "grinding" you need to do to EARN those rewards... not just simply play the game as you always have and expect to get rewarded for it... You are not entitled to those rewards w/o doing the WORK needed to EARN them... If you're not willing or able to do that then you do not deserve any rewards... bottom line.

Look at it this way... I'm not exactly quiet when it comes to telling people how I feel and I tend to make some enemies.... Yet despite this I have a regular group of people who like me around because in game on organized coms I tend to be all business and I follow orders, even unto my destruction...

Make yourself a useful player and people will ask you to join them... it isn't that hard :)

Edited by DANKnuggz, 03 November 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#405 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 03 November 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

If there was a solo only queue I might actually play Faction Play. I don't want to talk to people, I just want to carry and make C-bills.

I just want the content in QP. I pick IS or Clan every drop depending on my mood or what I want to play. Matches don't mean anything, you just drop and play. That would be more fun to me than regular QP -

however I still like having FP there and playing it when I have time/energy to play in a team.

View Postoldradagast, on 03 November 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

Exactly. We told them this laughable cross between "hard-core" mode and "free-for-all" mode was idiotic when they proposed this idea. Successful games do not arbitrarily create a "hard-core" mode when the basic game play itself is barely finished or stable and when they have a laughably low population supported by nothing but nostalgia, as PGI has here. And successful games have actual systems in place to ensure that their "hard-core mode" focuses on high-skill players in competitive matches, not the potato farming, seal-clubbing mode we have in FP since its beginning.

If FP is hardcore, it either needs serious match-making in place to encourage actually competitive battles instead of the pointless, one-sided slaughters that dominate it. And / or put in heavy barriers to entry: no trial mechs, nobody who's not in a unit of some sort, nobody below tier 3, whatever. In its current state, FP is not "hard-core mode." It's basically a random mode of mostly one-sided matches fought on crappy maps with often idiotic objectives... and that doesn't even touch upon the stability issues, bugs, etc.

I take some blame for that.

When it was introduced it was units only, had to play in a group, in fact playing in attack queue required you to be in a 12man.

I, and many others, begged and pleaded and spammed the 'feedback' thread they opened (they used to do that, remember? Post up changes and then a thread for feedback that they read and paid attention to. Oh them days...) with wanting to pug in it. So they relented and introduced it as a mixed pug/premade environment but with a warning.

That was great, for a while. However everyone who actually understood what that meant and was up for it (win or lose) either ended up leaving because nothing else was included with it or joined regular units.

Now pugs largely consist of the antisocial people who either won't or can't play in a team but want to play in the teamwork focused mode of the game, lose as expected and so want to nerf teamwork.

View PostKingCobra, on 03 November 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

What a waste

They always needed to have the maps/modes available for QP. A matchmaker in place, winning/losing doesn't matter, you just get to see how the gameplay works.

Then require being in a group to drop in FP itself.

I've said that for years but apparently it would be too difficult.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users