#21 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

View PostKhalcruth, on 01 November 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

By my count, it can swap hardpoints to get up to 14 weapon mounts. I'm not sure how that can be called "almost nothing for firepower".

14 weapon mounts, maybe, but with a whopping 11-12 tons to fill those mounts. Not exactly a lot of room to work with.

#22 The Zohan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 01 November 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

Yeah, but with those weapon mounts and the popped up torso, you don't have to expose a lot of them... Hmmm.

You know, this thing will be a lot like the Viper, just way taller, sans jumpjets and 10 tons heavier. I loved the viper when it dropped but its just not a good mech. Throw in the recent laser nerf coupled with a lowly 11-12 tons podspace for the 55t Lanner and you have a bigpretty bad mech by MWO standarts. ECM and MASC will not save it. I guess there will be a whole lot of buyers remorse after the Lanner drops.

#23 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

View PostBombast, on 01 November 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Is it just me, or is this a Clan Men Shen, only better?

Posted Image

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. The Men Shen has extra tonnage that kind of makes up for the speed and superior hardpoints.

The Blanner has less tonnage to work with but I guess IS tech does weigh more.

#24 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:28 PM

This thing is about as overengined as the Linebacker, so if PGI gives it Locust level mobility, it'll probably be pretty good.

#25 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

If PGI wants this thing to sell with a GOOD profit margin, I mean the kind of profit score they nailed with the Marauder IIC, two things need to happen.

1) Clans need to come back up to 55 tons for scouting.
2) Clan Omnimechs finally need to have the ability to change engine sizes with the possible addition to swap out other features (jump jets, masc, active probe).

If it doesn't happen, this thing will sell like stale bread. The community has wised up since the Uziel.

#26 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:31 PM

View PostThe Zohan, on 01 November 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

You know, this thing will be a lot like the Viper, just way taller, sans jumpjets and 10 tons heavier. I loved the viper when it dropped but its just not a good mech. Throw in the recent laser nerf coupled with a lowly 11-12 tons podspace for the 55t Lanner and you have a bigpretty bad mech by MWO standarts. ECM and MASC will not save it. I guess there will be a whole lot of buyers remorse after the Lanner drops.

You have a point. If ER MLs weren't totally dogcrap now you might be able to build something decent out of it but MPLs are going to be too heavy and HMLs too hot and SRMs aren't exactly light weight weapons when you consider ammo. The other big problem as I mentioned earlier, is the pods your going to need to do anything decent with it are in the reinforcement pack and I honestly think that with access to all the pods, there is one, maybe two builds that might actually be pretty good, both of which would be best built off the D variant with an ECM head.

Oh and wanted to add that as someone else mentioned, it can't have 55ton agility levels, it needs to be like the Linebacker with off the charts agility levels to compensate for the lack of pod space and pod harpoint distribution on the omnipods.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 01 November 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#27 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:32 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 01 November 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

1) Clans need to come back up to 55 tons for scouting.

I will laugh my balls off if this months patch brings clan Scout weight back up to 55.

#28 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

I could see this doing pretty well with 6 HML, ECM & as many dhs as possible.

#29 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 01 November 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

Well, this will be able to close at the speed of the light and then use short range weapons, so... different playstyle?

Stormcrow is great at 71 dmg alpha laser vomit which this can't do. I'm cautiously optimistic here. Its only 11t of podspace i think.

Hmmm, so a clan Cicada... it's a great looking mech and would look awesome as a cockpit item, that's all I can say... Posted Image

It's a 'tanky light' but we know that a piranha and locust will be tankier due to how PGI scales... by profile instead of by volume.

Edited by Nightbird, 01 November 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#30 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 01 November 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

I could see this doing pretty well with 6 HML, ECM & as many dhs as possible.

That would be 6 total DHS. Your not really going to be able to cool 6 HML with only 16 DHS total.

#31 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

Not all playstyles require high damage alphas as the basis for the platform chosen to fight with. This thing is right up my alley personally. Fast, ECM capable and it carries enough payload to not be ignored for too long from a flank/rear attack. I often try to make the enemy broaden their firing arc to the point that it's harder to focus on targets in the larger force while getting pummeled from the side. I like it.

#32 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

I like the artwork, but I fail to see why the waist connector needs to be so tall. I see no obvious clipping issues that demand that level of clearance.

#33 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

View PostBombast, on 01 November 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

I will laugh my balls off if this months patch brings clan Scout weight back up to 55.

Yeah. Would be interesting if they do. Stormcrow and its new 55 ton compatriot will give the IS 55 tonners a run for their money. Though, i think it will be even, really. You dont mess with Shadow Hawks, Bushwackers, Griffins and even Kintaros with the right builds.

I do hope they will lower the stance for the Balck Lanner, it looks... too tall indeed.

Edited by Tordin, 01 November 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#34 The Zohan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 408 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 01 November 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

You have a point. If ER MLs weren't totally dogcrap now you might be able to build something decent out of it but MPLs are going to be too heavy and HMLs too hot and SRMs aren't exactly light weight weapons when you consider ammo. The other big problem as I mentioned earlier, is the pods your going to need to do anything decent with it are in the reinforcement pack and I honestly think that with access to all the pods, there is one, maybe two builds that might actually be pretty good, both of which would be best built off the D variant with an ECM head.

Oh and wanted to add that as someone else mentioned, it can't have 55ton agility levels, it needs to be like the Linebacker with off the charts agility levels to compensate for the lack of pod space and pod harpoint distribution on the omnipods.

Yep, this is it. Small laser boating is not as good as it used to be. Small pulses/micro lasers are downright bad. Not enough tonnage for heavier weapons so you will be stuck with mediums. Heavy mediums are pretty hot so again, not enough tonnage for the required DHS.I dont really see a way to make this mech perform the way a 55t mech should.

I mean take a look at the overengined clanmechs we have available in game: Viper, Gargoyle and Linebacker. The first two are just really underperforming mechs. The LBK gets a pass for four reasons: size, armor of a heavy, just enough quirks and, as a 65t omni, just enough pod space to do the meta laservomit (or sometimes srm bombing).

I see the Lanner performing like the Viper or Gargles, not like the LBK. But maybe thats just me.

#35 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

Look at those super high mounts!
It also presents minimal exposure from unnecessary bulk higher than the cockpit.

Possibly another clan winner?

#36 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

View PostMechrophilia, on 01 November 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

Look at those super high mounts!
It also presents minimal exposure from unnecessary bulk higher than the cockpit.

Possibly another clan winner?

11 tons of pod space, not a poking mech so it doesn't really matter...

#37 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

So, a 55 ton Shadowcat. Wallet - Offline...

#38 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

Yay, we have another Mech pack!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#39 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

Yeah i mean loadouts here look like MGs and lasers, MGs and SRMs, SRMs, lots of tiny lasers, maybe lasers and SRMs. Honestly I think there are some loadouts that will be useful there.. It will just play more like an Assassin than a Crow.

#40 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 01 November 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

Yeah i mean loadouts here look like MGs and lasers, MGs and SRMs, SRMs, lots of tiny lasers, maybe lasers and SRMs. Honestly I think there are some loadouts that will be useful there.. It will just play more like an Assassin than a Crow.

I'm been thinking maybe like a cheeta? I do 2HML 6LMG in mine, if only this had 4 energy in the torso, has tonnage for 4HML 6LMGs... that would be a brutal backstabber with ECM.

Edited by Nightbird, 01 November 2017 - 05:30 PM.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users