A Request For Chris Lowery: Balance Update?

48 replies to this topic

#41 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

Lets see, how could we measure the difference between the effectiveness of clan tech versus IS? How about taking an average-ish player and get them to play two different accounts one pure IS and one pure clan, then we could compare the stats for each and see which does better? Right? Would that work?

#42 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

I dont think the balance is THAT bad, the issue is the fact that 75%+ of maps heavily favor poke builds, and lets face it, clam mechs beat the crap out of IS in trading at mid range since they have more alfa, more DPS, and the extra protection IS has is meaningless when ur talking about 70-90 alfa strike PER MECH and ur still gonna loose a ST in 2 shots nomatter what u got for quirks or skills.

If PGI actually didnt make so many mid-long range poke maps, and actually more city like or just plain brawly maps, IS would have their place, since there are very few really solid clam brawlers out there right now, while IS dominates clan up close. Ofc, IS is gonna die if they try and range minus a FEW niche ERLL mechs ofc.

#43 FantasticMrDark

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

An update for Light Gauss would be awesome, since they decided to use garbage lore values so it essentially weighs the same as a Clan Gauss while only doing 8 damage and having worse DPS.

#44 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:13 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 November 2017 - 09:38 AM, said:

Yes. Now I want a Dev to prove us all wrong or Make the attempt to explain to me me/us that the error of our perception (that balance is in fact worse) is due to something beyond our understanding (they have the data after all). I’d at least like to see them make an effort at helping us understand just what the heck they are doing and what actual effect that THEY think these changes are having on the game. Cuz as far as I can tell things are pretty bad, and the actions of the last several months have made them worse.

Well if it wasn't for all the flaming torches and pitch forks then SL would have received another nerf along with those OP grasshoppers... pre kodiaks was the best balance I can recall... since then there have been a series of strange and unhelpful balance adjustments made...

Edit: also the variety of viable builds keeps reducing...

Edited by chucklesMuch, 03 November 2017 - 10:19 PM.

#45 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:05 AM

View PostDogstar, on 03 November 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

Lets see, how could we measure the difference between the effectiveness of clan tech versus IS? How about taking an average-ish player and get them to play two different accounts one pure IS and one pure clan, then we could compare the stats for each and see which does better? Right? Would that work?

Quite frankly i'd rather see one potato ISer play clan for two weeks while a top tier Clanner play IS for the same time.

That way to see if skill has a large bearing on anything before trying out even skilled pilots. Since i can't help but feel that most of the Clan tech OP mythos at this point could simply be chalked up to baddies being bad and having hyperbolic rants wanting the weapon that killed them nerfed..

Edited by Lupis Volk, 04 November 2017 - 04:18 AM.

#46 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:42 AM

It seems every PGI 'attempt' to 'fix' the balance, they just make it worse.

Edited by Zergling, 04 November 2017 - 05:42 AM.

#47 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

View PostAsym, on 03 November 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

If PGi had come and said we are doing "x" to implement "y" that would have given the community an ultimatum...as it is, they can drag this change out and NOT significantly influence their profit margin...
?????

As long as tech imbalance persists, I will not spend a dime on new IS mechs.

View PostLupis Volk, on 04 November 2017 - 04:05 AM, said:

Quite frankly i'd rather see one potato ISer play clan for two weeks while a top tier Clanner play IS for the same time.

That way to see if skill has a large bearing on anything before trying out even skilled pilots. Since i can't help but feel that most of the Clan tech OP mythos at this point could simply be chalked up to baddies being bad and having hyperbolic rants wanting the weapon that killed them nerfed..

QP average damage per game-wise, 4 out of top 5 mechs I use are Clan. I also have much better WLR and KMDD in FP as Clan merc than as IS merc. For me, there is no debate. I kinda miss the days when IS Heavies such as BK, MAD, WHM, GHR were not nerfed, and actually made Clanners cry in the forums.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 November 2017 - 05:55 AM.

#48 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:25 AM

View PostZergling, on 04 November 2017 - 05:42 AM, said:

It seems every PGI 'attempt' to 'fix' the balance, they just make it worse.

Only because they either don't understand or refuse to acknowledge the core deficiencies. When we had pretty good balance back in March 2016, it was because IS heat efficiency, durability, and range had been improved just enough by quirks to make it so. Then they took most of those quirks away, then they gave them to the Clans in the form of the Skill Tree, and we have what we see now.

#49 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 04 November 2017 - 04:05 AM, said:

Speaking of potatoes - check out the stats for this IS fanboi:

Dogstar - average match score 217 (season 15)

Now lets compare him to this clan warrior:

Mechatankzilla - average match score 307 (season 16)

Wow there's a substantial difference between these two players, one is a typical IS scrub player, and the other is a pretty good clan player (top 10% by Tarogato's Quickplay leaderboard stats).

Want to now something interesting? They're both me. I'm a lot more successful when playing clan mechs and it's pretty much down to simple tech differences like not dieing to XL side torso loss and doing huge laser vomit damage. This is why I've switched to playing clans exclusively in the last month, I'm tired of being outclassed as IS.

32 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users