Pgi Could Make Better Use Of Their Assets

19 replies to this topic

#1 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:36 PM

I would love to see new maps added to the game And I am very glad for the new Teaser, but I feel they currently do not need to. PGI just has to make better use of the ones they currently have. I think there is 2 ways that would not require much effort on PGIs part but would add a lot of fresh air to the game.

1) Make use of invasion maps: Emerald taiga, Victric forge and Hellbore springs could easily be divided up and converted into maps that would be suitable for Quick play with minor alterations.

-Hell bore springs: get ride of the canyons outside and just use the base within the gates with the teams spawning at opposite gates. The original defender spawn point for Invasion would have to be changed to be accessible and an interesting spot to fight over but the rest of the base can remain the same so there is the open spot on one side of the massive gun and crowded canyons on the other for varied mech builds and play styles. I feel this map could be used for skirmish, conquest, and domination. Not really incursion though.

Emerald taiga: could make 2 separate maps out of it just block the gates and have one map based on the outside with the mountains valley and beaches and the other map inside around the base. just spawn the teams on opposite ends of the map and i feel the openess of the map with lots of cover just lends it to being very good for skirmish, conquest and possibly domination Quickplay matches.

Victric Forge: Same as emerald taiga could make 2 separate maps from it by closing the gate and using the outside and inside separately to form 2 maps. On the outside spawn the teams on separate ends with how large and open it is while still having a lot of cover i think it could make some good quick skirmish maps and having the capture points along the outer walls could make it good for conquest as well. The inside victric base is a bit harder to think about as its crowded but very small so having the teams spawn at opposite gates could have them fighting in the first minute, depending if the immediately go for each other or if they go around the outside, but its the best place i can think of to have spawns cause just spawning them across the map they will beeline to each other and meet in the middle anyway.

2) Make the different game modes feel different: I don't mean add re-spawns or other gimmicks i mean change the spawn points and the way the maps play out.
The vast majority of Skirmish games the fighting always occurs at the center because people just hit full throttle till they see the enemy and start fighting it out there. That is fine, its very likely most teams will meet at the center because of this, but the teams do have the options to choose a different way of attack if they wanted, just most of the time they do not.
The issue is where did they put the capture point for domination? right in the d**n centre of the map. Where we where fighting anyway, but now we don't get an option to go counter clockwise around the map if we wanted, which is why i hate domination, it plays out exactly like skirmish but with fewer options.

Lets take River city for example every game mode the teams spawn on opposite sides of the river and fight around the citadel. What if with incursion game mode one teams base was at the airfield and the other teams base was on the eastern beaches, and the batteries where spread out in the west city. Now both teams are on the same side of the river and all the fighting is going to take place in the west city and the west countryside outside the city that I'm sure some of you did not even know existed. The map is going to feel different and very rarely do i think the fighting would revolve around the citadel on incursion if that was the way it was set up.

Then for domination in River city what if the control point was in the eastern city and one team spawned in the harbour and the other team spawned in the north east city. Both teams are on the same side of the river now and all the fighting will likely occur in the eastern city, without just another river city match revolving around the citadel.

Thats my 2 cents on how PGI could give people a more maps feel with minimum effort. They already did it with alpine and I'm very thankful for that since skirmish and conquest matches always take place on completely different parts of the map because of it. So why don't they do it for others

TLDR: 1) why not use the invasion maps Emerald Taiga, Hellbore springs, and Victirc forge to form like 5 new Quickplay maps.
2) why not change the spawn and objective locations on the maps so the fighting takes place in different areas on a map depending on the game mode. It works for Alpine it could work for some of the others.

Edited by SirNotlag, 02 November 2017 - 05:35 PM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

View PostSirNotlag, on 02 November 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Then for domination in River city what if the control point was in the eastern city and one team spawned in the harbour and the other team spawned in the north east city. Both teams are on the same side of the river now and all the fighting will likely occur in the eastern city, without just another river city match revolving around the citadel.

During the old 8v8 days, we had teams spawn in the harbor and the airfield respectably. The side spawned on the airfield had clear advantage from the get go due to immediate sight on the other team. Which made it imbalanced.

#3 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:37 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 November 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

During the old 8v8 days, we had teams spawn in the harbor and the airfield respectably. The side spawned on the airfield had clear advantage from the get go due to immediate sight on the other team. Which made it imbalanced.

Remember the old Forest Colony? You could shoot right across the map from your dropzone at the glowing red eyes across the map.

Anyways yeah, take Polar Highlands and box it to about half the size. Add more buildings here and there. Whole new map with minimal effort involved. Could even add the older maps to scouting rotation in CW. Did PGI ever give a reason they never re-released the old maps?

Edited by Accused, 02 November 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#4 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:14 PM

View PostAccused, on 02 November 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

Did PGI ever give a reason they never re-released the old maps?

No destructible trees. Even though in many other ways, the older maps actually had better graphics. Maybe if we can get 8v8 back in quick play, we can switch back to the old versions which IMO were mostly better.

#5 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:56 PM

I'd love to see the old maps come back. forest colony tunnel was always good for fights,ambushes and general wtf moments. Old river wouldn't be much over new since pgi left in the nascar beacon of the citadel.

#6 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:01 AM

View PostSirNotlag, on 02 November 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

I would love to see new maps added to the game And I am very glad for the new Teaser, but I feel they currently do not need to. PGI just has to make better use of the ones they currently have. I think there is 2 ways that would not require much effort on PGIs part but would add a lot of fresh air to the game.

1) Make use of invasion maps: Emerald taiga, Victric forge and Hellbore springs could easily be divided up and converted into maps that would be suitable for Quick play with minor alterations.

-Hell bore springs: get ride of the canyons outside and just use the base within the gates with the teams spawning at opposite gates. The original defender spawn point for Invasion would have to be changed to be accessible and an interesting spot to fight over but the rest of the base can remain the same so there is the open spot on one side of the massive gun and crowded canyons on the other for varied mech builds and play styles. I feel this map could be used for skirmish, conquest, and domination. Not really incursion though.

Emerald taiga: could make 2 separate maps out of it just block the gates and have one map based on the outside with the mountains valley and beaches and the other map inside around the base. just spawn the teams on opposite ends of the map and i feel the openess of the map with lots of cover just lends it to being very good for skirmish, conquest and possibly domination Quickplay matches.

Victric Forge: Same as emerald taiga could make 2 separate maps from it by closing the gate and using the outside and inside separately to form 2 maps. On the outside spawn the teams on separate ends with how large and open it is while still having a lot of cover i think it could make some good quick skirmish maps and having the capture points along the outer walls could make it good for conquest as well. The inside victric base is a bit harder to think about as its crowded but very small so having the teams spawn at opposite gates could have them fighting in the first minute, depending if the immediately go for each other or if they go around the outside, but its the best place i can think of to have spawns cause just spawning them across the map they will beeline to each other and meet in the middle anyway.

2) Make the different game modes feel different: I don't mean add re-spawns or other gimmicks i mean change the spawn points and the way the maps play out.
The vast majority of Skirmish games the fighting always occurs at the center because people just hit full throttle till they see the enemy and start fighting it out there. That is fine, its very likely most teams will meet at the center because of this, but the teams do have the options to choose a different way of attack if they wanted, just most of the time they do not.
The issue is where did they put the capture point for domination? right in the d**n centre of the map. Where we where fighting anyway, but now we don't get an option to go counter clockwise around the map if we wanted, which is why i hate domination, it plays out exactly like skirmish but with fewer options.

Lets take River city for example every game mode the teams spawn on opposite sides of the river and fight around the citadel. What if with incursion game mode one teams base was at the airfield and the other teams base was on the eastern beaches, and the batteries where spread out in the west city. Now both teams are on the same side of the river and all the fighting is going to take place in the west city and the west countryside outside the city that I'm sure some of you did not even know existed. The map is going to feel different and very rarely do i think the fighting would revolve around the citadel on incursion if that was the way it was set up.

Thats my 2 cents on how PGI could give people a more maps feel with minimum effort. They already did it with alpine and I'm very thankful for that since skirmish and conquest matches always take place on completely different parts of the map because of it. So why don't they do it for others

TLDR: 1) why not use the invasion maps Emerald Taiga, Hellbore springs, and Victirc forge to form like 5 new Quickplay maps.
2) why not change the spawn and objective locations on the maps so the fighting takes place in different areas on a map depending on the game mode. It works for Alpine it could work for some of the others.

Thinking outside the box in the forum will.............well, what you have proposed is cool stuff. Come on PGI, read this thread....

#7 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:19 AM

Bring back some of the old maps.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

the problem isnt so much the maps as it is skirmish. its a bad gamemode that encourages camping, deathballing, static play and doesnt force players to move out and capture objectives spread around the map

its why conquest remains the best gamemode. forest colony is fine on conquest, ive had some really fun conquest games on that map. but its terrible on skirmish because on skirmish the map funnels everyone to the same grid location every game which makes for boring games with bad flow.

im not saying we need to get rid of skirmish. but all the non-skirmish gamemodes need to be tweaked so theyre not just minor variations of skirmish. because everything being skirmish gets boring real fast.

Edited by Khobai, 03 November 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#9 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 03 November 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

Bring back some of the old maps.

I definetly think the old forest and frozen city would be fine for 8 vs 8 but maybe not 12 vs 12. then again smaller maps just make the games go faster which is not necessarily a bad thing.

#10 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 November 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

The map has been made larger now so chances are the teams can be far enough away to not have sight. Plus a domination mode the team could not afford to sit back on the elevated part, unless they wanted the other team to win with no contest.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,753 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

Lots of those maps have additional terrain outside the boundaries. Many of the existing maps could have additional copies of them by moving/reshaping the viable combat areas. But more importantly adding alternative spawn points.

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

View PostSirNotlag, on 03 November 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

The map has been made larger now so chances are the teams can be far enough away to not have sight. Plus a domination mode the team could not afford to sit back on the elevated part, unless they wanted the other team to win with no contest.

You'd be surprised at just how many pugs will be content with sitting on top of the airfield and snipe while sending others to their deaths.

#13 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:07 PM

PGI could edit a weapons.xml file to make LBXs good but they only did that like once in 5 years and they still aren't good...

#14 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 03 November 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

Lots of those maps have additional terrain outside the boundaries. Many of the existing maps could have additional copies of them by moving/reshaping the viable combat areas. But more importantly adding alternative spawn points.

This. Even adding piles of Incursion-style destructable terrain/concrete legcatchers would be enough to significantly modify and rechannel many maps.

Imagine if Crimson's dock area was a mobility nightmare, encouraging players who wanted to get anywhere quickly to brave the water or duck wide around the island.

#15 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:40 PM

Imagine if pgi suddenly said: **** it steam work shop support next patch is A Ok! Along with a development kit for mwo. Imagine if I won the lottery and bought out all of pgi fired the ones that are not needed and kept on the ones that were like most of the art department plus free coffee 'n' donuts bonus every day.

#16 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 639 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:36 AM

FU.... you don't need any new maps, we need clan buffs,..........

#17 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:38 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 November 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

You'd be surprised at just how many pugs will be content with sitting on top of the airfield and snipe while sending others to their deaths.

Toss in an Incursion wall at the top of the airfield to force them to come down if it's really that big of a deal. Arguing about the specifics of a single map or mode isn't really the point, though.

PGI doesn't use what they already have to the fullest extent. We'd love if they'd do that.

#18 WhineyThePoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:02 AM

Bring back the old maps, add in 8v8, remove map and mode voting.
So if you drop on a small map its 8v8, if you drop on a big map 12v12.

BOOM! Instant success! (ok maybe not, but would hopefully add some variety to the game for minimal effort on PGI's part. Oh and some of the old spawn points probably need to change cause they were ********)

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:05 AM

View PostKhobai, on 03 November 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

im not saying we need to get rid of skirmish ...

If you won't, then I will.

Get rid of skirmish!

Heck, let me go even further:

Get rid of quick play!

and farm it out into better built Training Academy, COmmunity Warfare, and Solaris game modes.

Edited by Mystere, 04 November 2017 - 05:08 AM.

#20 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

View PostKanil, on 04 November 2017 - 03:38 AM, said:

Toss in an Incursion wall at the top of the airfield to force them to come down if it's really that big of a deal. Arguing about the specifics of a single map or mode isn't really the point, though.

PGI doesn't use what they already have to the fullest extent. We'd love if they'd do that.

Exactly they have already shown they can modify maps when they kept changing the invasion maps to be better to play on so if there are any issues with specific maps they can easily be fixed with a well placed mountain or building. My point was to try and spice the maps up not talk about potatoes being potatoes.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users