51 replies to this topic

#21 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:08 AM

View PostDaggett, on 03 November 2017 - 01:11 AM, said:

Well, you named the topic "Clans are now dominating Scouting".

Who do you think will click on this title and what will those guys expect the topic to revolve around? Posted Image

My bad, it was meant to say Clan Merc Units. After the Battle of Luthien it was suggested that the merc units decided the outcome of FP. In FP the Clans usually dominate Invasion while the IS dominate Scouting. Now with the Event, the same Clan Merc Units are doing Scouting instead.

Despite the title, my actual post body was mostly about Clan Merc Units, not Clans per se.

#22 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:45 AM

Should that be shocking news? As the Luthien data indicates, balance is very close in scouting. So no wonder that other factors like Timezone, organized Units a.s.o. tip the bar in different directions. Both sides have advantages that can shine in this game mode. Thats how it should be.
Problem is, that in Invation mode the bar is not getting in one way and then the other. It stays on clans side because the IS "advantages" are less usefull in the given setting.

#23 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:20 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 November 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

Cause strong units tend to go over to the stronger side to take advantage--which is Clans. And the reason you see so many organized units doing Scouting is because people wanna farm FP lootbags ASAP. You wont see this many Clan units in Scouting once the event is done, cause Clans generally won planets even without Scouting bonuses.

True ! Our team A-Players, for the first time in months, helped me finish the event: we are clan. On my own, Pug vs Pug was a 50-50 thing: if the IS all had Bushwackers, or a majority of them Bushwackers, we lost no matter what we did. Against, premades: 20-80. Yes, Pug pick-up team did beat premades sometimes. That's why it took soooooooo long to get 50 games and I asked for help.... I'm just happy the team came back to MWO as an organized unit.... Now, they're back to killing Dinosaurs and Space and some game about Guilds........

#24 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 05:33 AM

Good units in IS Invasion pushed average units in Clan to scouting.Butterfly effect

#25 Rusharn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:35 AM

Most of the time I can tell you if a clan scout group is going to lose on based on the mechs being taken and weapons being used. If I see Novas, Shadow cats, or the first time I see an ER medium laser, LRM or ATM I know the clan side is going to lose. Too many clanners come to scouting with Faction warfare or quick play mechs, which does not work. When I see most pug scout clanners fight they don't know how to brawl, don't know to aim for the legs of bushwackers or even sync up and aim for the same target. Several don't use VOIP and ignore anyone trying to drop call.

The pugs drops where I know we are going to win or will be very close are the ones where in the drop screen every pilot is talking in VOIP and has real scouting mechs. It looks like the Arctic Wolf acw-1 is turning out to be a good scouting mech, as we finally have a decently fast medium mech with enough firepower to take out IS scouting mechs. The Arctic Wolf battlemechs can also be set up with 365 XL engines that allow a mission minded team on gather, to out run the heavier IS mechs, an option the clan never really had before.

IS wins Scouting more often because they drop in the meta scout mechs more often, generally are faster, and usually know how to brawl better PUGs or not. Fighting cal vs clan in the recent events was like night and day. I could only shake my head when LRMs were fired, or when I saw a shadow cat, hunchback or huntsman with ATM's. From this past event, I really think that most clanner pilots do not know how to scout.

#26 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:42 AM

"Clans OP in scouting" says the IS pilot as they max the scouting bar out.

But, no really, just bring better mechs, Bushwackers and Assassins, Bushwackers loaded up with 4ASRM6 and maybe some RL20s with LFE280 and Assassins with 4 SRM4 and an XL325. With a drop comp like that you have the Bushwackers as an anvil and the assassins as a hammer, if the Clanners try to kite the Assassin is faster than everything except an over engined JennerIIC or Arctic Wolf, though the common builds in them are slower. if they come at you in a brawl the Bushwackers are tankier and the Assassins can rip out the rears of their mechs while the Bushwackers get the front, or you can all just aim for legs where the Assassin's stick legs are hard to hit with SRMs or long duration ERSLs and the Bushwacker's legs have 105 hp each (once skilled).

Good luck, have fun being OP.

#27 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

View PostDogstar, on 03 November 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

[drumroll]

and we have this week's Clan Crocodile Tears propaganda winner!

Here's your badge of honor:

Posted Image

Ya I'm salty about the Black Lanner, that's about it. Look at the title and thread or any other thread on here. Who are you to me anyways; probably can't even hit the broadside of a barn.

#28 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:05 AM

Seen a few folks say the nova isn't a good scouting mech, or at least a sub par one.

Why is that? Does it just lack the tankiness? Is it bc everything is arm mounted? Did I just answer my own question?

#29 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

View PostStf Sgt Marblez, on 03 November 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

Seen a few folks say the nova isn't a good scouting mech, or at least a sub par one.

Why is that? Does it just lack the tankiness? Is it bc everything is arm mounted? Did I just answer my own question?

It's fine for scouting, but some of what you mentioned for sure. Bushwhackers just steamroll em flat.

#30 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostStf Sgt Marblez, on 03 November 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

Its up there with the best that the clans have right beside the Huntsman, but its just no match for the Bushwacker in a brawl. It just can't out tank a Bushwacker or out sustain one.

#31 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 03 November 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

It's fine for scouting, but some of what you mentioned for sure. Bushwhackers just steamroll em flat.

Man, I guess I'm really missing out on an opportunity to use my Bushwackers. I had no idea they were so OP.

#32 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:22 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 03 November 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

Man, I guess I'm really missing out on an opportunity to use my Bushwackers. I had no idea they were so OP.

You really are. Bushies are brutal in scouting when used effectively. I don't know if it was a hitbox adjustment or what but they are currently in their prime.

#33 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

Been trying to get loot bags on my clan account and it's painful.
Nearly every IS team is BW's with maybe one different mech and clan lose nearly every match.

#34 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:30 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 November 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

Organized units > pugs. We already know that. Currently IS is dominating Scouting, and that's good news, cause that helps the IS side to have a chance.

You know, now that I think about it, having the scouting benefits might make it looks like the heavier mechs for IS are more competitive that they should in the data. :L

Like, IS scout mechs are good so they get the bonus, and then IS heavies are bad but they get the long toms which inflates their win rate.

View PostJackalBeast, on 03 November 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

You really are. Bushies are brutal in scouting when used effectively. I don't know if it was a hitbox adjustment or what but they are currently in their prime.

Weird profile + armor quirks + percentage based armor skills + heaviest mech in the scouting matches + good IS SRM spread= probably pretty good.

#35 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

View PostSnowbluff, on 03 November 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

Weird profile + armor quirks + percentage based armor skills + heaviest mech in the scouting matches + good IS SRM spread= probably pretty good.

Careful, you just listed all the reasons that stormcrows got weighted out of scouting Posted Image

#36 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:37 AM

But...there are no more Long Toms...

#37 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,612 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

I have an Alt character aligned to Davion and I never lose the Scout matches. Well rarely, you always lose a few. I am not telling anyone what to do since you all know this about Scouting already, but you bring a mech that is outfitted to tank damage and kill fast mechs. LBX, Snub PPC, Pulse Lasers. IMHO, SSRM are too slow for Scout, but that's just me.

#38 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 03 November 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

Careful, you just listed all the reasons that stormcrows got weighted out of scouting Posted Image

Noep. Storm Crow got voted out because of SRM/SSRM quantity, not quality. Also the cSPL at the time. Also no armor quirks or skills, either.

That said, I think it's safe to put them back in.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 03 November 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#39 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,100 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

usually when a clan scouting drop fails, its because some noob brought a light and tried to play the objectives. however when you have 4 srm boats and stick together you usually can crack anything the is sends you in half. beacons can be collected on the way to the dustoff.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 November 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#40 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 03 November 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

usually when a clan scouting drop fails, its because some noob brought a light and tried to play the objectives. however when you have 4 srm boats and stick together you usually can crack anything the is sends you in half. beacons can be collected on the way to the dustoff.

>If you bring 4 of your objectively weaker brawlers you will win against 4 of the enemy's objectively stronger brawlers

K

View PostYeonne Greene, on 03 November 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

But...there are no more Long Toms...

We're in the general discussion forum, no one has any up to date knowledge on FW here. Heck, most are half a year behind or more on quickplay meta.

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users