59 replies to this topic

#1 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:50 PM

Any chance of getting some Victor quirk love? Love this mech but it's a liability to play it even in a PUG drop. Some structure quirks and weapon quirks would help if not fix things in the short term. Any thoughts?

#2 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:27 PM

Really no comment? Even giving the weight penalty you have for the big engine and jump jets; a Victor receives none of the normal upper torso structural quirks and few weapon quirks for an IS mech. Low mounted main weapon mounts and even secondary mounts (missile) cant make up for the overall weakness. Possibly a rescale could help but I think something needs to happen.

#3 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:31 PM

I would love to but with jj these days its not that easy :)

#4 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

Structure buffs and JJ improvement would certainly be nice.

I'd love an increase to the tube count for the SRM launchers, so we can fire a SRM6 in a single volley instead of 2 or 3 volleys from the bottom launcher.

It's Time™

#5 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:16 AM

The Victor is one of those mechs that makes me wonder what the directions of quirks will be. It also makes me wonder what PGI's overall goal is with the game.

The Victor at one time was one of the best mechs in the game. Now it is one of the worst. That is mostly due to quirks (lack off on this mech) and JJ fixes.

If the quirk system is really to make all mechs competitive/playable then why has the Victor gone from best to worst since the start of that system? At some point if this system is actually working as initially intended wouldn't this mech get better quirks?

In many cases I believe the call for better quirks is crazy talk, but in a mech like this which is hardly ever used because so many others are just plane better, it is probably necessary.

#6 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

View PostGamerGirlGundam, on 30 May 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

got 1 comment - victor and highlander should fly again , JJ quirks ftw

"Up and at them!"

#7 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:00 AM

Really if they just fix the tube counts on the 9S and 9B, it'll go a long way to make them mid-tier-ish brawlers. It has the advantage of being the only JJ brawling assault for IS with a high engine cap. If PGI gives it a real Atlas alpha (3xASRM6+AC20), while moving 76+ kph, that's not terrible at all.

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 04 June 2016 - 09:00 AM.

#8 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:59 PM

I just want to see something done. I just know for me I want to like the mech and its hard with so much going against it. Low weapon mounts, JJ issues, missile tube issues, very weak firepower compared to other assault mechs (even heavy's), its a big as an Atlas and it just fragile as heck. Tried it with a bunch of different builds and standard engines trying to find something that works.

Maybe someone has a build they can suggest that is a winner. I am open to trying most things. The one thing I cant see myself doing is investing 2 million or more C-bills. I do have a 275 standard, 300 standard, 300xl, 330xl and 340xl to work with. I have a fair amount of other lighter engines but don't see them working.

Edited by Rock Roller, 04 June 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#9 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

Works, but takes some skill (+ a little luck?)

#10 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

Over quirking the mech simply will get it nerfed. The mech's issue is limited hardpoints and size. You can only quirk an AC20 soo much until it's unstoppable or over heats the mech.

#11 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

I would just like some structural quirks in the upper torso. Doesn't have to be king of the structure quirks. Go on the low end of the Zeus scale (6S) and that would help. I don't think adding a ton more weapon quirks would be fair. I also don't think it should have Atlas or even Zeus 5S structure quirks. That and missile tube fixes wouldn't even put it at any place other than low mid tier. It would give it a place to build from. This would allow you to get some room for you to use your weapons and be a respectable brawler.

With the other Assaults that are out there I think its weapon placement and low alpha profile will be factors that are just a factor of the mech. You could get it to a place that allows it to use its maneuverability to be a force In a match. I can see it fitting a niche Assault.

Just finishing the mastering of this mech and for all its faults I like it. It was a hard introduction to Assaults though. Just about in every way my Timber Wolf kills this unit. But for a Assault it has good maneuverability. The AC20 is a blast. I can say that you have to think very hard about how you fight it if you want a good match.

Edited by Rock Roller, 13 June 2016 - 12:38 PM.

#12 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

Well, they listened kinda. 10 structure to RT/LT.

#13 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:56 AM

The Victor and the Highlander have been sentenced to eternal damnation, by PGI, for the sins of being the 2 horsemen of the jump-sniper front loaded pinpoint damage iuber meta dark ages. It is why they have terribad quirks and continue to get ignored during every balance pass except to occasionally be made worse and worse. They shall be made to suffer this fate until PGI sells it's last mech pack.

May Primus have mercy on their sparks.

#14 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:26 AM

Ok *start epic and dramatic music"
The Victor (especialy the Dragonslayer) is the everlasting, eternal monument and reminder for what happens when the meta of a game is changed by the developers using the unholy banhammer of doom.

Posted Image

And now my dear Mechwarror brothers and sisters behold the next victims of wrath of the devs !!!!
For the "Age of LAZORVOMIT" may be at its end !!!!!
With "The Day of Rescale and Quirkening" comming tomorrow some of our beloved mechs will already be marked and prepered for the eternal hell of meaninglessnes.

Already big mechs get even bigger, their quirks get taken away.....*dramatic pause*

And with the arival of HEATSYSTEM 2.0 the damnation of all energyheavy mechs will be upon us.

But lo there will be a new age....a new tomorrow of diverse loadouts and other heros may rise from obscurity to save the new day. To Battle.

Posted Image
Ok drama and hyperbole away what you see is one of the many mechs that once where usefull in MWO and now are not because the games meta changed and soon this will be the case again.
Who knows .... with a heatsystem limiting large alphas (if it does so) the Victor may very well be one of the new rising stars for its diverse loadouts.

#15 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 20 June 2016 - 06:26 AM, said:

Ok *start epic and dramatic music"
The Victor (especialy the Dragonslayer) is the everlasting, eternal monument and reminder for what happens when the meta of a game is changed by the developers using the unholy banhammer of doom.

Posted Image

And now my dear Mechwarror brothers and sisters behold the next victims of wrath of the devs !!!!
For the "Age of LAZORVOMIT" may be at its end !!!!!
With "The Day of Rescale and Quirkening" comming tomorrow some of our beloved mechs will already be marked and prepered for the eternal hell of meaninglessnes.

Already big mechs get even bigger, their quirks get taken away.....*dramatic pause*

And with the arival of HEATSYSTEM 2.0 the damnation of all energyheavy mechs will be upon us.

But lo there will be a new age....a new tomorrow of diverse loadouts and other heros may rise from obscurity to save the new day. To Battle.

Posted Image
Ok drama and hyperbole away what you see is one of the many mechs that once where usefull in MWO and now are not because the games meta changed and soon this will be the case again.
Who knows .... with a heatsystem limiting large alphas (if it does so) the Victor may very well be one of the new rising stars for its diverse loadouts.

That was a fun response! Who knows you may be right. I just mastered the chassis but I think its time to find a new ride when playing assaults for a bit. I will give the new structure quirks a shot but it seems like to little to really change anything. After a few weeks of the rescale findings I should have a clue wich way to jump.

Edited by Rock Roller, 20 June 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#16 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

View PostBlackhawkSC, on 08 June 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

Works, but takes some skill (+ a little luck?)

BlackhawkSC. I am using your builds currently. The brawler build is my most productive build. I have tried a ton of different options and you are right this is the most effective.

#17 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:50 PM

If they fixed the hosed-up missiles tubes on them, they could at least bring an AC20 plus a pile of SRM's to the fight, and that's not a bad brawling load. But, somehow, Victor's have a harder time putting out a cloud of SRM's from their torso than the smaller Centurions, which is insane.

I don't get it - some mechs with messed up and tiny missile tube counts had the problems addressed. Others, like the Victor (and the dismally awful Pretty Baby) are stuck with crippling, tiny tube count missile launchers forever. Ugh.

#18 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

I just bought the Victors and basic'ed them since the XP weekend made it so easy, but I've gotta say they need something. It's rough to pilot one.

#19 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:33 PM

Bub, you did it with a better side torso profile than I had. I was hoping for so much more. When you get off a AC20 shot that rocks another assault sideways its a blast. The maneuverability feels so much better than most big boys.

I don't think you are asking for to much with the same structure quirks that others enjoy. You already give up tonnage for a bigger engine (that can be an advantage and a disadvantage), you give up tonnage for jump jets (same as last side note) and you have to look at the end result. You have poor Alpha ability's compared to other units, you have arm mounted weapons that are easy targets as well as being very low mounted. Boy did you also just gave up the tonnage for these advantages? So yep the balance makes total sense.

#20 Psibelius

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:44 PM

I am so sad the Victor is in such a sorry state. My Victors were my favorite mech, and I never even bothered with the poptart meta at all. I just love the combination and firepower and mobility, the surprisingly quick assault that can leap in and shove a big single shot weapon in your enemy's face, the tip of the hat to their role in BT lore.

And yet, I find myself doing exactly this...with the Kodiak Spirit Bear and MASC. :/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users