You Can't Handle The Proof That Clan Mechs Are Better!

59 replies to this topic

#1 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

So I, like a few others have two accounts, one for IS mechs and one for Clan (yes, because I'm an idiot, I know). I've been playing Is for a long time but recently switched to Clan as I'm sick of being outclassed all the time. Now you would expect that switching from one to the other would have no effect on my skill level and thus no effect on stats - maybe a slight improvement as IS/Clan balance is meant to be really close.

Here are my stats:

Dogstar - average match score 217 over 103 matches (season 15)

Mechatankzilla - average match score 307 over 80 matches and counting (season 16*)

However there's a substantial difference between these two accounts because Dogstar is a typical IS scrub player (top 75%), and Mechatankzilla is a pretty good clan player (top 10%). Ratings are from Tarogato's Quickplay leaderboard stats match score page.

There's no difference in the skill level of the person playing these two accounts, they're both me. I'm a lot more successful when playing clan mechs and it's pretty much down to simple tech differences like not dieing to XL side torso loss and doing huge laser vomit damage.

I do a lot more damage on average playing clan mechs than IS ones and even if I get a torso shot off I can still fight on with a 30+ point alpha and no longer have to worry about heat management

This is why I've switched to playing clans exclusively in the last month, I'm tired of being outclassed as IS. There's no point in playing IS mechs until the balance is significantly better.

Are there any other dual account wielders out there willing to show their stats for both accounts?

* Had to use season 16 as there weren't enough matches in season 15 to be a reasonable sample)

Edited by Dogstar, 06 November 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

So you're just now figuring out clans are better than is? They have been since day one. Now we've had patches where its painfully obvious pgi is pushing clans even more when nerfs effect is a lot harder than clans such as the medium laser cool down.

I stick with is because they have better movement in the weight class I play. Clans won't get a mech that moves fast enough until january since I refuse to use an ach.

#3 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:08 AM

Are both your accounts the same Tier ? When i created my clan Alt account i was absolutely wrecking with K/D above 8... then i realized i was moving through Tier 5 to Tier 3.

#4 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

Your impression and high diff in matchscore might be scewed due to the fact that your clan account started out in T5.

The balance is pretty close and I, for my part, rather play IS than clan.

But here a comparison (season 13):

Phoolan Devi (IS): avg matchscore 224 out of 212 games
Mech Croissant (Clan): avg matchscore 234 out of 81 games

Pretty close for me, since the score of my main is also scewed by playing group with it and my clan account is mainly solo only.

Both acvounts were T2 in season 13.

#5 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

Or maybe you are just better at the clan playstyle.

I know I do much better in IS mechs than clan ones.

#6 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

My mech stats are old combined with new but most of my top mechs are clan.

I think if i tried really hard i could get some IS mechs up there, like my mauler, or I can just use Clans and have an easier time of it.

If I had the Deathstrike, it would be my top 5 EZ.

Take note though, many of these mechs have since been nerfed, including my best IS mech, the Dragon-1N with the 50% cooldown lol.

Posted Image

#7 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

I play both Clan and IS pretty much equally and when I compare stats between the Clan mechs and IS mechs I have played, they come out pretty equal across the board. Also when I have completed in leaderboard events, my top score is generally pretty similar be it a Clan or IS. That being the case and after over 5 years of gameplay, personally at this point in time, I honestly don't feel there is much difference in balance. Previously, yeah, there were imbalances. Curently, nope, I just honestly don't see them, not when looking at the performance numbers anyway.

One thing I will point out and this may be the reason why so many people persist that the Clans are OP and that is that IS has more dud variants and/or entire mechs in its line up than the Clans do. In general most Clan mechs are at least ok or decent, while the IS line up has quite a few flat out bad variants. However if you look at the top 50% of IS mechs which numbers in the 100s of variants by the way, they are flat out equal to virtually anything the Clans have.

Also another factor that might cause the percieved difference is just like you can't stop someone from running a bad build, you also can't stop them from bring in Dud mechs and if your unlucky to have someone bringing in dud mechs, it is possible you might feel like your being dominated by Clan tech when the problem is actually your teammates not running competitive mechs.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 06 November 2017 - 11:14 AM.

#8 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

Do you guys not see that there is some correlation with clan mechs being better at putting out more damage albeit less effective at killing? Granted there is a blurred line once the damage gets to a certain threshold.

#9 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

Is is training wheels. Structure and armour let you survive longer to do more damage over time, unless your in an xl (seems odd that upgraded equipment kills your builds niche, but whatever) you dont need to aim as well because short laser duration and pinpoint (or reduced number of bullets) ballistic shots.

Clan has none of the survival quirks (unless your in an OP splatbacker) higher range and damage weapons, with a requirement you hold your target for an extra bit of time. Also higher dps if built well.

Tl;dr is has its bonus's, just none of them are relavent to either the meta, or they have a clan counterpart that does that niche better.

#10 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

I don't have split accounts, but I did take a thorough look at my stats by mech yesterday.

Basically: in assaults, my K3 did a little better than my Atlases
In heavies: My Clans did significantly better than my only IS, a Catapult C1
Mediums: If we ignore the unskilled Bushwhacker, my HBK IIC did better than my Centurion, but not by a huge degree
Lights: somehow my Urbie R63 has outperformed my ACH, despite the fact that I ran the urbie with stock engine/gear until I could afford to upgrade it by earning it through playing with it. I have no idea how that's possible. But then, I suck at lights

#11 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 06 November 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

I don't have split accounts, but I did take a thorough look at my stats by mech yesterday.

Basically: in assaults, my K3 did a little better than my Atlases
In heavies: My Clans did significantly better than my only IS, a Catapult C1
Mediums: If we ignore the unskilled Bushwhacker, my HBK IIC did better than my Centurion, but not by a huge degree
Lights: somehow my Urbie R63 has outperformed my ACH, despite the fact that I ran the urbie with stock engine/gear until I could afford to upgrade it by earning it through playing with it. I have no idea how that's possible. But then, I suck at lights

Well if you compare one of the best clan mechs vs pretty much **** IS mech available sure, clans are better.

#12 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

Just a note regarding tiers

Dogstar is tier 3 for all these matches but only got there earlier this year
Mechatankzilla is tier 4 for all these matches - got bumped up to this in the first couple of games

However I looked back over my Dogstar stats and I've been ranked in the top 75% for all but the first three seasons according to the spreadsheet so I've been pretty consistently 'bad' in IS mechs even when changing from tier 4 to tier 3 so I'm not sure that there's any 'seal clubbing' effect in place here.

Mechatankzilla's matches are mostly in laser vomit heavies like the Hellbringer, Night Gyr, Summoner, Linebacker, and Nova Cat mixed in with a few laser vomit mediums like Nova, Stormcrow, and Huntsman and all of the season 16 matches are played with the new clan tech as I've been trying to play enough matches to qualify for the loyalty rewards.

#13 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostDogstar, on 06 November 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

So I, like a few others have two accounts, one for IS mechs and one for Clan (yes, because I'm an idiot, I know). I've been playing Is for a long time but recently switched to Clan as I'm sick of being outclassed all the time. Now you would expect that switching from one to the other would have no effect on my skill level and thus no effect on stats - maybe a slight improvement as IS/Clan balance is meant to be really close.

Here are my stats:

Dogstar - average match score 217 over 103 matches (season 15)

Mechatankzilla - average match score 307 over 80 matches and counting (season 16*)

However there's a substantial difference between these two accounts because Dogstar is a typical IS scrub player (top 75%), and Mechatankzilla is a pretty good clan player (top 10%). Ratings are from Tarogato's Quickplay leaderboard stats match score page.

There's no difference in the skill level of the person playing these two accounts, they're both me. I'm a lot more successful when playing clan mechs and it's pretty much down to simple tech differences like not dieing to XL side torso loss and doing huge laser vomit damage.

I do a lot more damage on average playing clan mechs than IS ones and even if I get a torso shot off I can still fight on with a 30+ point alpha and no longer have to worry about heat management

This is why I've switched to playing clans exclusively in the last month, I'm tired of being outclassed as IS. There's no point in playing IS mechs until the balance is significantly better.

Are there any other dual account wielders out there willing to show their stats for both accounts?

* Had to use season 16 as there weren't enough matches in season 15 to be a reasonable sample)

Let me guess, you run mid-long range laser vomit as clans (the one thing clans are good at) and then wonder why its doing better than your IS account?

Higher alphas with more spread = more damage at the end of the match, but actual effectiveness is another thing.

My EBJ-A and my CTF-1X have similar builds. But my cataphract puts all its damage into one location while the EBJ spreads damage everywhere on moving targets. I can rack up huge scores with ATMs too, but since thats spread damage, its effectiveness is neglible.

I consistently do better in my IS mechs because of how OP they are. They survive for way longer and they do focused damage. I can easily take out the side torso of a clan mech in three alphas, there is nothing they can do to stop this since torso twisting in mechs like the EBJ doesnt work, because their side torso is permanently exposed due to lack of shield arms.

#14 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:52 PM

Posted Image

#15 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

I will say that although IS has its share of good chassises and a few weapon combos that can give any clan mech a run for its money, in a general sense clan has the advantage since the entire game is heavily biased towards favorable trading, and cla has more range and more alfa strike, not to mention more sustained DPS due to their 2 slot DHS. Yeah IS still has a slight edge in a brawl (more survivability and generally better dedicated brawl weapons if you are willing to move slowly while carrying em), and they can do pushing well with superior ballistics (PPFLD beats clan burst garbage at anything but point blank), but those playstyles are hard to pull off outside of a 12-man, and even then alfa meta remains relevant and viable.

#16 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 06 November 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

Posted Image

You have your most wins with a DWF-A while doing fourth lowest damage and your third most wins with a TBR-C while doing lowest damage?

Interesting statistics. Posted Image

Does that mean you win more when you do only little damage?

#17 Fire Fox 4

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

I really don't know that duel accounts proves much. I have a Clan and IS account too but my IS stats blow my Clan stats out of the water even though the kids use it now. Why? Because I learned to play on my Clan account and I only play meta builds on my IS account.

Same kind of thing with damage. I always do more damage when playing FW as Clan. You have to IS has a 25 ton advantage and a lot more armour quirks.

Before any IS players get triggered, I do believe that Clan rules quick play. Especially at lower tiers. Take the XL engine example you gave. Against good teams in FW I lose my CT before anything else. Surviving a Side torso lose is virtually meaningless. It couldn't be more different in quick play. In that game mode people don't focus and generally can't shoot straight. I can happily survive a side torso loss and go on to do decent damage.

Ultimately the games mechanics favour the Clan play style over the IS play style.

#18 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 06 November 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

Do you guys not see that there is some correlation with clan mechs being better at putting out more damage albeit less effective at killing? Granted there is a blurred line once the damage gets to a certain threshold.

I thought this was obvious but it goes over many peoples heads. The burst nature, longer durations, higher spread and even higher aplha is responsible for this. A higher alpha means less chance of all the damage registering properly ironically.

End result is you have to work a lot harder to put down a mech as a clan but you will be putting out uigher damage numbers.

Edited by l33tworks, 06 November 2017 - 04:35 PM.

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

My Hellbringer and Deathstrike rules SQ and GP, for their weight class.

#20 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 06 November 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:

I see it, when I absolutely gore somebody with a Dire Wolf, and then someone shoots them with an LB10 from 500 m away and they die. Sucks man, wish I did less damage so they wouldn't have just crumbled like that.

In all honesty, no, I don't see Clan mechs being less effective at killing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users