In Which I State Hyperbole As Fact That Clans Dont Need A Scouting Tonnage Increase.

27 replies to this topic

#1 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

I have avoided FW because its a raging garbage fire, but Ive always like the loot bag events, even if I already have an Invasion storm crow.

Anyway, Ive run the entire 26 scouting matches so far in a 3xSSRM6 2xHML Shadow Cat w/Active Probe. Always solo, never in a group.

Each match I type "Stay together, shoot for the legs, shoot at the SAME mech as everyone else". And we've won pretty much all of the matches. That build easily does over 500 damage a match and although it doesnt do much on legs, it scraps mechs. I doubt it would be such a performer in QP, but in scouting? Its brutal.

I love Storm Crows, they are my favorite mech and have been since 1995. But seeing the pilots Im dropping with handling themselves the way they do (with competence) seriously calls in to doubt any real need for a tonnage increase. The only losses Ive incurred have been strictly at the fault of goofy teammates who run off in their Huntsman or Nova to cap intel instead of grouping up and engaging the enemy.

I guess the moral of this story is that Faction Play is truly terrible, and messing with the tonnage isnt going to abate the roiling flames of burning tires coming out of that game mode.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

Counterpoint: Short of moving to cap points faster, and staying in SSRM range marginally longer against fleeing light mechs, SCR provides lower maximum firepower than the HMN when it comes to missile boating, and is a less stable energy platform vs the NVA, while providing a larger target for legs than either of the other options, thereby reducing its survivability somewhat.

I'd therefore argue adding the SCR back would change literally nothing of value. Adding it only provides Clan pilots more options, especially with another 55 ton mech on the horizon.

#3 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:45 PM

If you are bringing SSRMs, you are probably going to get run over by Bushwackers anyway.

Stormcrow may lose out to Huntsmen and Novas in either missiles or energy, but Crows do offer some interesting combined builds.

#4 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

LB20 crow bro. I needz it. I have bad aim xD

#5 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:28 PM

This is a popular topic of late.

Now IS has light fusion, SSRM6, Assasins and Bushwackers you could probably let the Storm Crow back in but meh..... When the Storm Crow was allowed in scouting I used the Nova and Huntsman most of the time anyway.

I say we should try it and roll back if it proves to much for IS.

#6 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

I see no reason why the SCR shouldn't be allowed back in. The main problem child, cSPL/cSPL+SRM boating, has been rendered impotent. The BSW and ASN are here and have what they have.

#7 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:49 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 06 November 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

Counterpoint: Short of moving to cap points faster, and staying in SSRM range marginally longer against fleeing light mechs, SCR provides lower maximum firepower than the HMN when it comes to missile boating, and is a less stable energy platform vs the NVA, while providing a larger target for legs than either of the other options, thereby reducing its survivability somewhat.

I'd therefore argue adding the SCR back would change literally nothing of value. Adding it only provides Clan pilots more options, especially with another 55 ton mech on the horizon.

I dont own a Huntsman so Ive never played with the builds out there, can it manage high point alphas like the SCR? Nova's are so easily dismantled, so I feel like the SCR wins in that department.

#8 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:30 AM

I admire your honesty and envy your lack of regard.

#9 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:31 AM

What am I not regarding?

#10 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:34 AM

View PostZacharyJ, on 07 November 2017 - 03:31 AM, said:

What am I not regarding?

Argumentative logic. You just cast it aside from the title and went head into the emotional and subjective. It usually displeases me, but your admitting it and just going with it has a certain charm to it.

#11 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:38 AM

Well yea Im talking about FW, if you want logic or abstract thought you are in the wrong place, not even PGI used it.

#12 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:47 AM

Oh you Posted Image
I guess you are also showing a lack of regard for IS kneecaps too, stormcrow ballistic + missile combos are some nasty business.

#13 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:08 AM

I know, its my main mech in QP since clans came out.

Not regarding IS legs how? Thats what everyone (hopefully) shoots for. What Im saying is that Scouting is a game mode that when played to the mode, which is 4v4 skirmish, that focus firing on one mech is literally all one team needs to do to win. 4 mechs focusing on one mechs legs can shred it quickly at this weight class, especially as clans.

"But zach your build cant focus legs"

Sure, but it also lets me stay mobile and twist about while easily managing heat, and the HML are nothing to sneeze at. Most of my kills come from legs being gibbed with streaks. Its a mech any idiot could pilot and perform well in during FP, and Im that idiot.

#14 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:29 AM

View PostZacharyJ, on 06 November 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

I have avoided FW because its a raging garbage fire, but Ive always like the loot bag events, even if I already have an Invasion storm crow.

Cuz of the event, I just carry as many streaks as I can Clan or IS, go into Scouting, fire as much as I can, win or lose, get my 100MS and move onto the next Scouting mission.

So far I've won more than I've lost playing first as IS vs Clan, then IS vs IS in the Steiner vs Davion event, fielding the same mech/build (HBK-4J, 2xSSRM6, 4xSPL). It matters little to me whether I win or not though winning definitely feels better than losing. Now at 43/50 done, waiting for my Steiner contract to expire just in time for the Smoke Jag event to go against Nova Cat. Surprisingly with my mech+build I win way more often than I lose and always post 400-550 dmg, streaks are amazing. At the end I'll be a happy owner of 250 loot bags, bliss!Posted Image

Edited by arcana75, 07 November 2017 - 04:31 AM.

#15 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:58 AM

Go on, up it back to 55 tons. I'll probably stick to HMN & NVA anyway.

#16 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:11 AM

OK, I'm was a proponent of increase and after say, 100+ Scouting matches, no more. I was new to scouting.

I think PGI needs to lower the max weight to 40 tons for several reasons:

1) Scouting should be about scouting; not skermishing and then thinking about intel

2) Maybe it is naive but, scouting mechs themselves need a place, or a role for those pilots to have their own distinct niche

3) Light mechs, with their speed, ECM and smaller weapons load-outs would make the entire Scouting play-style more fun.....

No, don't increase weights, go the other way and go-back to Scouting for Intel vis-a-vis scouting to skirmish..... JMO

#17 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,935 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

Seems to me that this discussion when we break it down is that we are essentially asking PGI to change the way scouting works merely because of special events. I haven’t heard any official numbers recently but it seems clear that only a tiny bit of the community plays faction play at all on a regular basis, and only a portion of that population consistently plays scouting. It is only when the rest of the community -driven by events- gives a damn about what mechs are played in the mode that this comes up.

So we are looking to go from a few mechs being competitive in the mode to one more being added to the mix. That’s it. That’s how low our communal expectations have fallen, that adding a single mech back in to the mix is the best we can hope for be it in terms of improved balance, playability, fun, whatever. One more mech into a mode that most don’t ever play unless bribed to do so.

Sigh.

Yeah, I think the Clans should get the Stormcrow back. I guess that’s the best we can hope for. I suppose though that as an alternative they can just stop with the scouting special events so that the majority population stops noticing these things.

#18 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

View PostAsym, on 07 November 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

I think PGI needs to lower the max weight to 40 tons for several reasons:

The problem with that is, even at 40 tons, people will still bring 'mechs built to fight and not scout.

Assassin & Arctic Wolf @ 40 tons
Wolfhound, Firestarter, Cougar & Adder @ 35 tons
Urbanmech, Javelin, Kit Fox & Arctic Cheetah @ 30 tons

You would have to lower it to 25 tons, which still has problems.

The Locust & Commando would out pace the Mist Lynx, leaving the Piranha as the only real choice for Clan. Then, you have the overwhelming firepower advantage the Piranha has over the Locust & Commando, so people would still end up picking a fight if they were Clan side.

#19 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 07 November 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

The problem with that is, even at 40 tons, people will still bring 'mechs built to fight and not scout.

Assassin & Arctic Wolf @ 40 tons
Wolfhound, Firestarter, Cougar & Adder @ 35 tons
Urbanmech, Javelin, Kit Fox & Arctic Cheetah @ 30 tons

You would have to lower it to 25 tons, which still has problems.

The Locust & Commando would out pace the Mist Lynx, leaving the Piranha as the only real choice for Clan. Then, you have the overwhelming firepower advantage the Piranha has over the Locust & Commando, so people would still end up picking a fight if they were Clan side.

Yes, you are right... I used 40 because the heavier mediums start at 45.... You are correct there isn't a clean answer unless you change the objectives and the rewards to intel, stealth and evasion..... I see it as sneaking, infiltrating and then avoiding as the highest pay catagories.... Data first, damage if you have to.... Of course, this would never fly because it is time consuming to sneak and infiltrate...

Just a thought and I liked the MW game that had an infiltration map where you just about had to take a light to make it out alive.

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:33 PM

so hating FW and playing 26 scout matches suddenly makes you an expert on scout mode?

yeah no. adding SCR back to scout mode wouldnt really change much at this point. Its not as good at laser vomit as the nova. And Streaks simply arnt very good vs bushwhackers.

scout mode should go back to 55 tons.

but it would make it faster paced

I think it would be better if we had two seperate gamemodes, one for 20-40 tons and one for 40-60 tons

And have team drop weight limits of 120 tons and 200 tons respectively. the team drop limit would help increase variation in the mechs used.

Then you could play a faster paced light vs light or a slower paced medium vs medium

you wouldnt have to worry about potatos bringing locusts to a medium fight anymore

Edited by Khobai, 07 November 2017 - 12:39 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users