Target Info Sharing

78 replies to this topic

#41 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

View PostTrissila, on 07 November 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

You receive an alert whenever someone targets you -- if you've ever noticed the little blue flash and electronic ping sound, that's your lock alert. It goes off when someone presses R on you to lock you as a target. So if you don't lock them, they don't get alerted. Which gets back to the whole "if you don't want to share target data, just don't press R" thing.

As for turning around when you 'point at them'? If you didn't hit R to lock them, then it was probably because you showed up on Seismic.

Again, varying circumstances. And it isn't just when R is pressed, it is when certain weapons hit and when you point at a mech for long enough, which likely has an increased effect when ping gaps are taken into account.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 07 November 2017 - 05:37 PM.

#42 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 543 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Imagine how much more grief players would get from spectators when it's realized the player they're spectating has target info sharing disabled.

Imagine all the forum threads we'd see about that too! Posted Image

#43 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Asking to be more selfish in a team oriented game. Sigh...

#44 ESC 907

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 213 posts
  • Location'Murica

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:55 PM

View Posttker 669, on 07 November 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

You have hit the nail on the head with why I would like to be able to switch.

Then why in the nine-levels of hell wouldn't you voice it yourself? Almost sounds to me like you were just waiting for a good reason to hitch your cart behind.

#45 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

You have hit the nail on the head with why I would like to be able to switch. Even if only temporary to curb abuse. It is funny to see some folks immediately think this is an lrm hate issue.

You had to wait for 38 other posts to finally say why you want a very specific feature, in a thread specifically asking for it? Posted Image

But now that we know, just as an FYI, you do not need a lock or to share target info to be able one-shot someone in the back. All you need is to rely on that crutch also known as "automatic near-instant pixel-perfect pinpoint convergence".

Of course, that assumes it really wasn't this:

View PostESC 907, on 07 November 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Almost sounds to me like you were just waiting for a good reason to hitch your cart behind.

Edited by Mystere, 07 November 2017 - 06:07 PM.

#46 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

The only reason so far is choice.

That's dumb. No.

Bad for the general public health. Literally zero scenarios when you don't want to share info with the team unless you are selfish or griefing.

View Posttker 669, on 07 November 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

Where I hope to not go is too far down the road into how bad or anti-social players would misuse this suggested toggle.

Then you didn't think the idea through fully.

Edited by Roughneck45, 07 November 2017 - 06:22 PM.

#47 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

View PostESC 907, on 07 November 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Then why in the nine-levels of hell wouldn't you voice it yourself? Almost sounds to me like you were just waiting for a good reason to hitch your cart behind.

My bad, but I had to point it out.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 07 November 2017 - 06:18 PM.

#48 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:21 PM

I play light mechs. I like to sneak up behind targets to backstab and potentially one-shot them. I target the mech to get info. My team receives that info and decides to take potshots at this mech (usually this is a LRM boat on my team shooting at the first lock it can find). Fire from the team alerts my target who decides to move as a result. This ruins my one-shot kill (for scratch damage by my team) and potentially reveals me opening me up to being killed.

again. dont press r. problem averted.

you dont need detailed target info to shoot someone in the back.

#49 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

Oh, I am not really even arguing against that autotargeting, just pointing out its existence, the easiest way I have found to avoid it is just not to look directly at targets you are sneaking up on until you are shooting at them.

#50 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

you can just target something else in the distance too.. theres plenty of ways around it.

#51 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 07 November 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

The only reason so far is choice.

That's dumb. No.

Bad for the general public health. Literally zero scenarios when you don't want to share info with the team unless you are selfish or griefing.

While, I think it would be bad for the game overall, for me individually I have definitely been given away as a light by having a LRM boat shoot at my target while I was sneaking up on it. That's really the only case where I see it having merit.

#52 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

View PostXiphias, on 07 November 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

While, I think it would be bad for the game overall, for me individually I have definitely been given away as a light by having a LRM boat shoot at my target while I was sneaking up on it. That's really the only case where I see it having merit.

For sure, but we know better, don't target it next time! lol

#53 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

No. Bad choices for game features are bad.

#54 VitiateDiabolus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 117 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

The fact that this thread even exists is confusing in so many ways. As many others have stated, this is a stupid request and it will (thankfully) never be implemented.

Of course, if you feel it necessary to gimp yourself and potentially your teammates by refusing to lock targets, that is your prerogative. Being a bad player isn't against the TOS.

#55 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:16 PM

Yeah i can see this ending well. One ticket please, one way to K-town.

#56 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:24 PM

It is funny to see some folks immediately think this is an lrm hate issue.

Well, no they also think it is a selfish based issue, in how revealing target data can lead to "kill-stealing" like behaviour, which (unless it involves some seriously trollish behaviour), generally is beneficial for the team overall, but not necessarily for your stats, if that targeting means someone else gets "your" kill, which is a issue based in the selfish region.

#57 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

View Posttker 669, on 07 November 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

Well you could not share all kinds of things already. ECM, AMS, your weapons at any given moment, armour....and so on and so forth.

The why is not important, as that choice and it's reasons would be up to individuals to decide. Players should have that choice.

I have a solution for you.

Press the "P" key and this should grant you the desired results of non contribution to team work.

#58 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:15 AM

You have hit the nail on the head with why I would like to be able to switch. Even if only temporary to curb abuse. It is funny to see some folks immediately think this is an lrm hate issue.

Your unwillingness to to state your reason until someone else successfully guessed it, sounds like you are just jumping on the first semi-plausible reason you find, so you still don;t have to tell the real reason.

At this point no mater what you say few people will believe you, because you've missed your only chance to not sound deceptive.

#59 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:55 AM

OMG, I had a dream!

What if all clan mechs would have target info sharing off. Wouldn't that be in line with lore, and maybe THE balancing feature that is missing for all these years? Clans OP in 1v1, but IS uses teamwork to overcome their selfish invaders?

#60 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:16 AM

View Posttker 669, on 07 November 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

That is actually an excellent point. Currenly ECM you toggle a choice of two modes which both provide benefit... (I was actually prepared for this argument as much as I was for the lets talk lurm hate).

Also using the ECM example, you have choice in the skill maze tree. You can make your ecm's bubble more effective if you invest into the sensor tree far and take crap you don't need, or you can leave it stock and basically only cover your own butt.

AMS similarly has benefit to being turned off. Not giving positions away, conserving ammo/heat.... Again, choice.

So to be clear, my argument is that the user should be able to choose. Having that choice doesn't mean that the game would fall apart. Also those anti-social types that would turn it off just to be a tool, already have the choice to be a tool in so many other ways (including not hitting R) that it doesn't matter nor should be part of the consideration. Like most things we already have choice over in the game, the majority of players will use the feature responsibly anyways.

No you're wrong.
If you turn off AMS you're not 'not sharing' you're not using. Its off. Nobody gets the advantage bar the enemy, and the only reason to do so would be with now new LAMS to increase your uptime, allow you to cool and sustain the fight. Turning AMS off is pretty useless otherwise, and again you're not lacking a share you're lacking a use.

ECM is different and it can't be turned off. Wrong. You either Jam or counter. If Jam you share in a set radius and can't choose who to share with unless you actively keep a distance from your teammates. In Counter you actively negate a single ECM Jam within a radius, and cannot choose to share or not to share. Any enemy using Jam within your Counter radius will be targeted by a friendly with LOS.

Laughing at this choice because choice... as though PGI is some charity that just puts in dumb code that will satisfy only 1 player with no tangible gain to them or the playerbase.

#mymechmychoice
#familywarriorclinicsarefreedom
#myrighttoeject

But ironically your issue is about people stealing your kills, scaring off your meat and LRMing from the backfields and giving away your position?
LOL
why not just ask for something rational like passive sensors (or as everybody has suggested, don't press R).

Or you know, communicate or something who knows? Posted Image

Edited by qS Sachiel, 08 November 2017 - 01:22 AM.

39 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 39 guests, 0 anonymous users