• Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:26 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 07 November 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Why would you not want to share target info?

Let me re-phrase...

What good reason is there not to share target info?

View PostBrain Cancer, on 07 November 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

Let me guess. You hate LRMs.

View Posttker 669, on 07 November 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

There are many reasons, good and bad.

Reasons aside, it should be something that the user/pilot should have choice over.

My guess? You don't want others to see the damage state of an enemy you are fighting and move in for the kill.

The game gives you the choice not to target. Willingly not wanting to do so is already enough to have me frown. MWO is a teambased shooter. Information is ammunition!

#62 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:34 AM

Sorry, I smell a rat here.....the OP waited for 35+ posts to 'agree' with a fairly weak reason for this request.......normally, the reason would be stated up front, in the OP.

This appears to be toolery.

#63 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:53 AM

Instead of trying ponder why on earth OP would want this feature, let me turn it around.

The feature doesn't exist in the game because there is no reason for it being there and would be a waste of development time. Most of the reasons that people have guessed at, would all be reasons for reporting and banning said user for intentionally not wanting to help his/her team.

So unless you can come up with a good reason for this feature, why would PGI waste it's time developing it?

#64 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:02 AM

View Posttker 669, on 07 November 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

Someone else mentioned stats...could be a reason for some.

There's a good reason for not having the option.

A simple one is to avoid having a teammate inadvertently drive a player back into cover or move when you have a back shot open.

Then ask for the incoming missile warning to be removed.

#65 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:44 AM

What if all clan mechs would have target info sharing off. Wouldn't that be in line with lore, and maybe THE balancing feature that is missing for all these years? Clans OP in 1v1, but IS uses teamwork to overcome their selfish invaders?

Meanwhile in quickplay:

OMG YOU CLAN NOOB WHY YOU NO HIT R KEH!

One of the best buffs guided missiles could get that doesn't involve a single stat change. It's not like anyone warns you "THE GUY WITH GAUSS RIFLES IS AIMING AT YOUR FACE".

#66 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 07 November 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

LoL not that it will help this obviously LRM hate based topic much, but one actual viable reason I have heard, though am not sure how true it is, is that an enemy can be made aware of themself being targeted, so for a scouter who is just providing visual info his scouting presence can be potentially revealed on accident there, and if "sneaking up" on targets causes that auto lock, then it ruins that sense of stealth.

It is not something I have particularly noticed myself but I have heard others say it, and seen plenty of mechs seem to turn around when I point at their back etc.

I guess you either didn't read through all of the thread or you simply cannot let go of your own bias.

There are several ways to prevent it's abuse and not effect LRM users (which at times I am one). Legit sniping in my opinion being a good reason to be able to toggle this feature. Again if it was only allowed to be disabled temporarily it would likely prevent the majority of abuse.

As far as lrm hate focus, remember that the forums have some vocal folks pounding their agenda. You seem to be on one of those sides. In game however people use lrm's all of the time. So the actual hate represented on these forums, doesn't even reflect the reality of what you see players doing in game... Jesus I think I am going to make one of my Cougars an lrm boat now just to have a head tag laser (and I am struggling with how f'n slow they are...).

#67 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 November 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

Asking to be more selfish in a team oriented game. Sigh...

I get your point, I really do.

Still I maintain that there are tactical situations that this would be beneficial. Like I have said a whole bunch of times, the kill switch could be temporary which could help curb abuse or trolling and still provide function for those times that you legit need a one on one lock on a mech.

#68 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostESC 907, on 07 November 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Then why in the nine-levels of hell wouldn't you voice it yourself? Almost sounds to me like you were just waiting for a good reason to hitch your cart behind.

You can make a bunch of assumptions. You could also read what I have actually said and base an informed opinion on the information in front of you. People generally assume wrong.

I will concede this, I anticpated some people reacting poorly to the idea and was very much intentionally aloof.

Remember there are just as many sniper haters as there are lrm haters.... however backstabbers would benefit too.

There are reasons to be able to turn it off and I think that there is also ways to make it hard to abuse the mechanic.

View PostKhobai, on 07 November 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

again. dont press r. problem averted.

you dont need detailed target info to shoot someone in the back.

You don't need it, but knowing what component was weak could help.

#69 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:00 AM

View Posttker 669, on 08 November 2017 - 07:46 AM, said:

I get your point, I really do.

Still I maintain that there are tactical situations that this would be beneficial. Like I have said a whole bunch of times, the kill switch could be temporary which could help curb abuse or trolling and still provide function for those times that you legit need a one on one lock on a mech.

Except the so called "trolling/abuse situations" you attempted to describe are not really trolling/abuse situations, and enemy target info is always welcome.

If you don't want to see the enemy show up in your sensors, period, then go pilot mechs that can mount Stealth Armor.

Edited by El Bandito, 08 November 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#70 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

View PostSmith Gibson, on 08 November 2017 - 12:15 AM, said:

Your unwillingness to to state your reason until someone else successfully guessed it, sounds like you are just jumping on the first semi-plausible reason you find, so you still don;t have to tell the real reason.

At this point no mater what you say few people will believe you, because you've missed your only chance to not sound deceptive.

You can make wild guesses or you could actually read what was said.

Choice is a huge part of it as well as having control over the systems in your mech. While someone else did bring up why he would like the feature, and I certainly agree and had that scenerio in mind, it isn't the only one.

Lights, snipers, backstabbers as well as many other situations that I am sure I haven't even thought of are some reasons.

Considering how many on these forums have contempt prior to investigation, or like yourself immediately jump to conclusions that are off base and non constructive to an actual conversation, I have to navigate this thread like a mine field.....

#71 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:07 AM

View PostqS Sachiel, on 08 November 2017 - 01:16 AM, said:

No you're wrong.
If you turn off AMS you're not 'not sharing' you're not using. Its off. Nobody gets the advantage bar the enemy, and the only reason to do so would be with now new LAMS to increase your uptime, allow you to cool and sustain the fight. Turning AMS off is pretty useless otherwise, and again you're not lacking a share you're lacking a use.

ECM is different and it can't be turned off. Wrong. You either Jam or counter. If Jam you share in a set radius and can't choose who to share with unless you actively keep a distance from your teammates. In Counter you actively negate a single ECM Jam within a radius, and cannot choose to share or not to share. Any enemy using Jam within your Counter radius will be targeted by a friendly with LOS.

Laughing at this choice because choice... as though PGI is some charity that just puts in dumb code that will satisfy only 1 player with no tangible gain to them or the playerbase.

#mymechmychoice
#familywarriorclinicsarefreedom
#myrighttoeject

But ironically your issue is about people stealing your kills, scaring off your meat and LRMing from the backfields and giving away your position?
LOL
why not just ask for something rational like passive sensors (or as everybody has suggested, don't press R).

Or you know, communicate or something who knows? Posted Image

I am not wrong...I said that there is a benefit and reason to disable ams. Which because you seem to be struggling I will spell out for you. One is to conserve ammo, and two is to not give your position away.

Again if you don't understand why not pressing R can be a problem (hint; target info) then I am not sure I can really help you.

View PostWolfways, on 08 November 2017 - 04:02 AM, said:

There's a good reason for not having the option.

I would never want the incoming missile warning to be removed....

#72 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:37 AM

View Posttker 669, on 08 November 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

I would never want the incoming missile warning to be removed....

I would love a toggle for the incoming missile warning sound effect. That thing can get so annoying.

#73 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

So you want to see what your teammates have weakened on the target, but you don't want your teammates to be able to see what you're doing to it.

#74 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

guys I dont like teamwork. we need the ability to turn off our team and start a new team that isnt blue or red. like green team.

#75 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

>green team

I thought that was K-town.

#76 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Purple team, colorblind support team.

#77 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

View PostvonJerg, on 08 November 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

OMG, I had a dream!

What if all clan mechs would have target info sharing off. Wouldn't that be in line with lore, and maybe THE balancing feature that is missing for all these years? Clans OP in 1v1, but IS uses teamwork to overcome their selfish invaders?

Well, I have made that suggestion, and many times no less.

But many people playing this game are just simply focused on one-dimensional Mech/Equipment 1:1 balancing.

#78 mouser42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • Locationb-more

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

have you turned red shirt?Posted Image

#79 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

Its been suggested before

although it would make clan LRMs almost unusable

50 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 50 guests, 0 anonymous users