How Is This Possible?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:48 AM

I met an instant death with my new stormcrow.
I missed no substential armor on the torsos, ran an laserboat so no ammoexplotion, ping was ok, the player who killed me was standing in front of me, no enemy player behind me and there were not many other enemys around.
Endscreen said that i was only damaged by airstrike (short before and i took only small dmg) and lasers. Problem is there were no laserbeams i could see and i was killed instantly without any flashing of damage warning what so ever. The guy who killed me playes for a comp team that made it into the finals of WC so i guess he has no need for cheating.
He killed me instantly a week ago in a game too but the endscreen said only damaged by H-Gauss back then. So a lucky headshot while i was RACing his cockpit i presume. But with lasers a instant kill while i was moving without visual laserburns or damage report? How does he do it?

Edited by Tiewolf, 08 November 2017 - 02:08 AM.

#2 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:52 AM

I don't suppose you took a screenshot of the death screen? That will tell you where you were killed, at least.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:55 AM

No screenshots, or videos? Hard to know exactly what happened then.

#4 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:56 AM

Deathscreen indicates reason for death, last few weapons hit, as well as component lost triggering death.
Per leon, got a pic?

#5 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:56 AM

Sorry I didn`t take a screenshot. I just checked for the source of damage and not the cause of the destruction. But i guess it can only be CT or Head. Otherwhise he would have riped down both sidetorsos in one shot which is more then unlikely.

Btw. what is the button to take a screenshot?

#6 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:00 AM

Death screen doesnt show friendly fire tho does it? Is it possible your team shot you and then the airstike finished you?

#7 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:30 AM

Use 'Print Screen' (near scroll lock, above-left of numpad) to take a single picture. Most computer memory only saves 1 snap however, so you will need to open paint, copy in, save or open a new paint tab, and take another screen.

Ie: multiple button presses only saves the last print screen.

If you run through Steam you can use steam overlay screen capture button (i think F12 default?)

or you can use a last few minutes capture software like Shadowplay if you have a NVdia GPU.

There is a possiblity that you were focus fired by multiple mechs.

#8 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:35 AM

View PostqS Sachiel, on 08 November 2017 - 03:30 AM, said:

Use 'Print Screen' (near scroll lock, above-left of numpad) to take a single picture. Most computer memory only saves 1 snap however, so you will need to open paint, copy in, save or open a new paint tab, and take another screen.

On Win7, MWO dumps them into;

"C:\Users\Profilename\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online"

Where "C:" is the same drive MWO is installed to and "Profilename" is your login.

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,698 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:55 AM

Windows 10, no need to do all the fancy stuff since by Default MWO saves the pic in the saved games folder as noted when pressing the PRINT SCREEN button. I usually take a screenshot of death then end of game individual/teams.

And if you were hit by 2xHGR close to the same time the death screen will show only one line or 5 ERLL = 1 line ERLL, etc

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 08 November 2017 - 03:57 AM.

#10 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:03 AM

Also if you have Win10, the recent update added XBox Game DVR to every Win10, it's able to save up to last 10 minutes of gameplay to disk at FHD res and 30 FPS. Hit Win+G to pop the overlay. It also takes screenshots. Game DVR saves ongoing recordings into memory and 10min takes up about 1.5GB ram. IIRC it also handles manual recordings and broadcasts as well. Basically what XBox can do your Win10 can do it too.

So if you have Win10, you don't need fancy stuff like elgato, OBS, Shadowplay etc.

#11 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:05 AM

View PostTiewolf, on 08 November 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

the player who killed me was standing in front of me, no enemy player behind me and there were not many other enemys around.

Only because you see no enemy doesn’t mean there is no enemy. There are enough means to stay hidden, like ECM or stealth armor.

Edited by AlphaEtOmega, 08 November 2017 - 04:07 AM.

#12 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

View PostqS Sachiel, on 08 November 2017 - 03:30 AM, said:

Ie: multiple button presses only saves the last print screen.

If you run through Steam you can use steam overlay screen capture button (i think F12 default?)

or you can use a last few minutes capture software like Shadowplay if you have a NVdia GPU.

There is a possiblity that you were focus fired by multiple mechs.

Thx for the screenshot info! Next time I run into something strange I make screenshot!

A UAV was up so I knew that most of the team was not facing the corner I poked. I have been focused before and you get the red damage warning when you are hit. How much focus fire you need to ct/headshot someone on the first laser tic?

#13 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

Headshot? Not much damage required...lasers are difficult to maintain focus on but if you weren't moving super fast or weren't moving erratically and he's used to targeting cockpits...

Well, it can happen. The stormcrow isn't much of a tank. Not sure about how hard it is to hit the cockpit though.

#14 Dirt Bag Don

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:28 AM

Another possibility is a head shot from the strike. I have gotten head shot kills with my arty strikes in the past. Actually I got my head hunter achievement from a few strike head shots along with conventional weapons head shots. You have already read the other suggestions about what might have hapened.

#15 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:28 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 08 November 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

And if you were hit by 2xHGR close to the same time the death screen will show only one line or 5 ERLL = 1 line ERLL, etc

Maybe you are right and it is just a matter of the end screen not showing all dmg sources. The endscreen only showed the Airstrike from before, er-LL&er-ML. Range was around 500m to the player who got the kill on me.

#16 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

View PostDirt Bag Don, on 08 November 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

Another possibility is a head shot from the strike. I have gotten head shot kills with my arty strikes in the past. Actually I got my head hunter achievement from a few strike head shots along with conventional weapons head shots. You have already read the other suggestions about what might have hapened.

A strike could be the answer but I couldn't see any explosion. Even if you die by a strike you see the bangs around you. No impact animations, no visual laser beams and no damage report in the mech cockpit. Just in one second the endscreen. Maybe we will never know and it's a very rare bug. Two month ago on the German forum a player reported something similar. In his case it was a Kodiac that died in 1 sec and only MG was the cause of destruction.

#17 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostDirt Bag Don, on 08 November 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

Strikes don't hit faces anymore.

#18 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:14 AM

Did you twist when you saw him? Stormcrow has a really high twist angle, to the point where you can actually over twist and give up your back.

#19 Tiewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 408 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

View PostVxheous, on 08 November 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

Did you twist when you saw him? Stormcrow has a really high twist angle, to the point where you can actually over twist and give up your back.

Nope I didn't twist at all. I was moving from cover and faced the enemy mech head on because i thought he fired at a teammate and wanted to retaliate before he had a chance to get back to cover. But even if friendly fire would have cored me from behind and the enemy mech alphaed through my front armor in the same time and got the kill, there would have been a damage feedback in the cockpit and I would have seen the laser beams from the front.

Anyway thx everybody for all your input so far. I am glad to read that this strange incident is not only puzzling me!

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:45 PM

maybe your laser ammo exploded

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users