Grf-5M Builds

16 replies to this topic

#1 Imperialus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

So I've been mucking about with my new Griffin and playing around with builds. Wanted to see what other people were coming up with.

So one of the first things I realized is that the 4 ballistic hardpoints scream LMG. This means you're giving up the ballistic cooldown quirk, but I just don't think it's worthwhile to put a big ballistic weapon in the arm. Sure you can put in an AC 10 and a couple SRM4's or medium lasers, but the humble Centurion is going to do a much better job of it. I saw one guy running quad AC2's, but his arm got taken off 30 seconds into the fight and after that he was running around all stickified.

This means you are looking at energy and missiles as your primary damage dealers. It also lacks hardpoints, which means that laser vomit and splat builds aren't going to happen, so we find weapons that work well together.

This led me to a few possibilities. (both running an LFE 300), no extra heatsinks (the build runs pretty cool) and full armour outside of the legs, which are at 30 points.

First option is a pair of MRM 10's and an ER-PPC, though this wastes some of the potential of the LMG's. This does pretty well as a mid-range support build. The PPC allows for a bit of poptarting, and the MRM's are pretty good at stripping armour so you can wreck components with the LMG's. You could also swap out the PPC for a large pulse, though you lose the poptartability.

Second would be a pair of SRM 6's and a snub nose PPC. This makes for a pretty good flanker and damage dealer. The downside is that you still only have the armour of a 55tonner, that the LFE 300 only lets you run around at 88KPH so it is tough to extricate yourself from a bad situation.

A thirst possibility would be to bump the engine up to a Light 325, swap the PPC for med pulses and put in a pair of SRM 4's. you lose out on some damage, especially the pinpoint from the PPC, but the cooldown of the SRM4's and the pulses' matches up nicely and you get your speed up to 95 KPH. You even have a spare ton of space which can be used to add a couple extra jump jets or a heatsink.

Edited by Imperialus, 15 November 2017 - 08:20 AM.

#2 Imperialus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

Due to a lack of Smurphy for the 5M at this point I had to do them up in mechlab.

SRM6's and PPC:
Posted Image

SRM 4 and Med Pulse:

Posted Image

MRM's

Posted Image

#3 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

I found using the ballistic arm difficult myself... I didn't however end up finding something I did like. I did try several though:

I tried a crazy dual Heavy PPC build... That at least kicked them pretty hard in the nuts until they charged and got under the minimum range. Your just not fast enough to do that build well as the enemy is at least as fast, if not faster.

Paired SRM6s with paired LLs was another build. However it just never felt like it had enough kick. It was best at mid-close range as you would expect. It did have quad LMGs, but I lost that arm long before the match ended.

I've avoided MRM builds, as I never had much luck with them during my early testing... But I may need them on this mech. I'd love to trade a couple arm ballistics mounts for more missiles and energy.

Edited by Shadey99, 15 November 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#4 Imperialus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, of the three I find the one with the SRM 4's and the medium pulses' to be the most effective. I don't think it's a top tier mech, but it's a fun mech to run around the fringes of a brawl with. I think it'll get better too once I unlock some of the missile skills and group those SRM shots a bit tighter.

#5 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

I haven't tried it in a match yet, just testing grounds, but I built a 2xERPPC with 4xLMG. LFE 295, some extra DHS, just one ton of ammo. I doubt it'll do well, it still runs hot (1.38 heat in mechlab iirc). I do like that SRM/MPL build, though, may try that next.

#6 Imperialus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:58 PM

View PostErtur, on 15 November 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

I haven't tried it in a match yet, just testing grounds, but I built a 2xERPPC with 4xLMG. LFE 295, some extra DHS, just one ton of ammo. I doubt it'll do well, it still runs hot (1.38 heat in mechlab iirc). I do like that SRM/MPL build, though, may try that next.

Yeah I've found that doubling up on PPC's of any variety outside of a 70+tonner is a recipe for dying while shut down. I did try another build using SRM 4's, dropping two jumpjets and stripping the armour off the left arm which let me cram a stub nose in but then the PPC's recharge rate is out of sync with the SRM's and the griffin's left arm is a fantastic shield so stripping all the armour off feels like a waste.

#7 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

Just theory, but it'll trying to use all the weapon slots is an error. Even with light machine guns.

I think MRM might work with lots of them. I was surprised that running a grid iron with an MRM 40 worked quite well. Griffin is similar enough, just with jump Jets. Then a couple of lasers (as lunch as tonnage will allow) to target soft parts.

Otherwise a mini brawler with uac10?

#8 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:41 AM

Had some success in Scouting with a MRM40, 2 Medium Lasers and 4 HMGs. The MLs and MRM are your main weapons, HMGs are there for critting out open or nearly open components.

#9 Evantas

• Pip
  • The Spear
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:11 AM

I was determined to make x2 HPPCs and 4 LMGs work, but it didn’t turn out well.

Too much heat generally.

#10 Imperialus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostEvantas, on 19 November 2017 - 04:11 AM, said:

I was determined to make x2 HPPCs and 4 LMGs work, but it didn’t turn out well.

Too much heat generally.

Yeah that seems like a recipe for boiling tea on the center console of your mech.

Edited by Imperialus, 19 November 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#11 capt hungry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationGallifrey

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:26 AM

I'd had some success with 2xLPPC and an AC10. I have yet to try the MG builds. I like that I can engage at range, but it's tough to fight off a light that gets in your grill. I figured if I did a missile build, I'd probably use SRMs, ala my GRF-3M build. But I'd think MRMs would be well suited for the Giffin.

#12 Cormath

Rookie

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

Built the SRM 4 and Med Pulse version. 6.3mil to swap in an XL 325 instead of the Light version. This allowed me to add:
1) Three (3) double heat sink in engine
2) Laser AMS (had to drop 2 points from max armor to fit it)

AMS is 1.5 tons, may swap it for more ammo if I start living long enough to matter.

#13 Imperialus

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

I'd be concerned about putting an XL in a griff. It has a really wide front profile, and the side torsos are very well defined. With the LFE you're at least still viable with half your weapons even if you manage to get a torso popped.

#14 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

View PostImperialus, on 22 November 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

I'd be concerned about putting an XL in a griff. It has a really wide front profile, and the side torsos are very well defined. With the LFE you're at least still viable with half your weapons even if you manage to get a torso popped.

Well if you draw enough attention and facetime to cause an enemy to be able to focus out a side torso on a med mech....well.
Besides you want frontload weapons so its missiles and ballistics.
That means your weapons are on one side anyways.
You WILL loose that side or your center anyways in most cases piloting a griffin so it doesn't realy matter if you are death due to loss of side torso.

#15 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

View PostHorseman, on 17 November 2017 - 02:41 AM, said:

Had some success in Scouting with a MRM40, 2 Medium Lasers and 4 HMGs. The MLs and MRM are your main weapons, HMGs are there for critting out open or nearly open components.

Small revision: works better with LMGs, far as I can tell.

#16 RED Zlo

Rookie

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:19 AM

I tried different options, but I stopped there. Armament, speed and a large stock of jumping engines can effectively cope with any opponents at the dagger distance. Also armored left arm is an additional shield and I do not advise to weaken it.

#17 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:26 AM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users