Are We Really Losing The Mechlab In Mw5?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Honeybadgers

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:33 PM

I heard it on a Kanajashi stream and saw it in a PC gamer editorial.

What. The. ****.

I HATE stock variants of every single mech ever made with the sole exception of the 2x ATM9, 2x ERLL, 2x MPL timber wolf.

Genuinely so annoyed about it that I might not actually buy the game if it comes out with no mechlab. Building mech variants to goof around with was literally 90% of my enjoyment of every mechwarrior game.

#2 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:41 PM

What did Kanajashi say? I was under the impression it's be a more limited hardbase system to better reflect the 3025 tech base. (I.E. swapping a large laser for a PPC=OK, swapping standard internals with endosteel = not ok, swapping an autocannon 5 for a large lase = not ok)
)

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

Man I really wish we could have a "Mechbay" were you could not even swap the Armstrong of the Shadow Hawk with the Whirlwind of the Marauder.
But this is never going to happen.

However I'm really opposed to the hard point type sytstem. Why should I not put a Large Laser where a AC5 was mounted?

Look the Catapult in MWO would have made more sense when you would have been able to put your mainguns aka Gauss into the ears instead of the torso

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostRorik Thrumsalr, on 19 November 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

What did Kanajashi say? I was under the impression it's be a more limited hardbase system to better reflect the 3025 tech base. (I.E. swapping a large laser for a PPC=OK, swapping standard internals with endosteel = not ok, swapping an autocannon 5 for a large lase = not ok)
)

Endo in 3025 was not an option anyway, nether was fero, Gauss, ER or Pulse energy weapons, XL engines, ultra or LBX ACs, Streak and Artemus missiles.

I would be quite happy with a limited MWO or even a modified MW4 style Mechlab, so you have a 3 slot energy hardpoint, you can put in any size laser or a PPC, but the Spider only has 1 shot E and B hardpoints, guess that means just small or medium lasers, or Machine Guns.
want to change the standard 300 engine on your Atlas, your choices are the 200 or 400 class standard engines (because XL and LFE are both out of timeline, and you can only mount engines classed as multiples of the Mechs weight), and for such major work you have to ship the Mech back to a factory (with weeks of travel time to get it to the factory), where it will take months to complete the work, and it would be cheeper to purchase 2 assualt Mechs than to pay the team of elite technicians to make that modification

#5 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:05 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 20 November 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

Endo in 3025 was not an option anyway, nether was fero, Gauss, ER or Pulse energy weapons, XL engines, ultra or LBX ACs, Streak and Artemus missiles.

I would be quite happy with a limited MWO or even a modified MW4 style Mechlab, so you have a 3 slot energy hardpoint, you can put in any size laser or a PPC, but the Spider only has 1 shot E and B hardpoints, guess that means just small or medium lasers, or Machine Guns.
want to change the standard 300 engine on your Atlas, your choices are the 200 or 400 class standard engines (because XL and LFE are both out of timeline, and you can only mount engines classed as multiples of the Mechs weight), and for such major work you have to ship the Mech back to a factory (with weeks of travel time to get it to the factory), where it will take months to complete the work, and it would be cheeper to purchase 2 assualt Mechs than to pay the team of elite technicians to make that modification

Yeah, it starts in the early 3000's, but the game will take you up to 3049 according to the information released. I'm certain we will be seeing advanced L2 tech.

I think in the interview it actually references a Jenner JR7-D vs a JR7-K, and how you couldn't convert a 7-d into the K. (The K has ferro and CASE)

I think Ferro should be something that can be configured "in field" (it is in the TT game), but IIRC CASE is actually something that requires a factory rebuild to accomplish as it requires a rework of the internal structure.

The strategic operations sourcebook has some really good ideas on customization and is divided into 6 "levels"

A: Simple "in field" refits allow replacing an item with another of the same category with the same or fewer crits. i.e. AC10 with lbx10, also changing facing or location of an existing item.

B: Complex "in field" refits let you swap 1 class of weapon with another, provided it has the same or fewer crits. i.e. swapping an ac5 with a ppc.

C: Simple "maintenance facility" refits let you swap armors, replacing any weapon with any weapon, adding extra ammo, adding/removing heat sinks.

D: Complex "maintenance facility" jobs are for installing completely new equipment where there wasn't before. i.e. adding an ecm suite. This also includes changing heat sink types and engine rating (but not type).

E: Simple "Factory" overhauls for quality rating improvements, changing type of myomer, installing CASE.

F: Complex "Factory" overhauls are for swapping internal structure types, engine types, gyro types.

I would be good if the game allows for the two field refit levels and some added maintenance facility options. This would keep customization on the table while not invalidating all the variants.

#6 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:43 AM

no mechlab, no buy.

The mechlab eblongs to MW games and it's half the fun after oyu have been through the game to make a laod of funny and stupid stuff. If thats not possible, then MEH.

even mech commander had a simplified loadout thingy.

Edited by Lily from animove, 27 November 2017 - 12:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users