Hole In The Floor Of Rubellite

14 replies to this topic

#1 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:42 AM

Watch the bottom right corner of the screen. There's a drop off alongside the structure I am on, but then some girders cross it. I walked up and dropped onto and then through the girders. I had meant to step onto them, skirt around that tank, and then step up onto the next part of the structure.

I need to go test this in the Testing Grounds, but could it be that it is a bit of destructible terrain? A "pitfall trap" would be kind of neat given the ruined condition of the structures, if PGI intended for such a thing; but if it's just bad coding then it's annoying.

I'm assuming that it is bad coding since I didn't see anything break when I fell. Thoughts?

#2 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

Bombast just tested it and the verdict is...

Posted Image

Well played, PGI, well played! I hope we some more of this level of detail on future maps!

#3 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Excellent find!

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

this is why girders should be made out of invincible trees

if they can ever find a way to cut them down

#5 Lt_Paragor

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:00 PM

Thx for the alert

#6 Termin8rSmurf

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 45 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

I fell there too on my first time on the map. It's good. The structures are damaged, weak. You put 30 or more tonnes of battlemech on the weak spot, it breaks. Down you go. Kudos to PGI for adding that in. As for the bits of reinforcing that stick out of place and you get hooked up on them, no. Bad PGI, Bad.

#7 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

Now I want Ewok traps on Endor, er, I mean, Forest Colony. You know, the kind that you walk through and logs fall on your head. :D

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

View PostKhobai, on 18 November 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

this is why girders should be made out of invincible trees

if they can ever find a way to cut them down

You don't cut them down, you have to grow them at an angle.

#9 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Need more just like this!
The environment should be dangerous, maybe have the change too, or only work sometimes.

#10 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

I never tried walking over it because it looked like I would fall through. Posted Image

#11 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

View PostTarogato, on 18 November 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

I never tried walking over it because it looked like I would fall through. Posted Image

Yeah, when you're standing over the top of it and looking down like in Bombast's video. Watch mine though. In that firefight, I only caught a glimpse of the beams from a side angle. From that, it looked like a normal part of the platform. For players who are busy fighting hard and moving, they may not notice the broken looking beams and may only see it from a side angle like me. That's enough to trap folks.

Personally, I think it's a nice touch to the map.

#12 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

They're made of the exact same girder structure as the ones that stick straight up and get pinged off as you walk through them. They have the telltale 'slightly different color' to them that all destructible terrain seems to have. There are also curved ones sticking up from the ground in a different spot, but these are all over the place and the huge gaps between them should have tipped you off anyway.

Side note...because we have no IK yet it is possible to tightrope-walk over the large arc of curved girders that span the gap between two terrain features, but you need jump jets to get up off of either end.

#13 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostJames Argent, on 19 November 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

They're made of the exact same girder structure as the ones that stick straight up and get pinged off as you walk through them. They have the telltale 'slightly different color' to them that all destructible terrain seems to have. There are also curved ones sticking up from the ground in a different spot, but these are all over the place and the huge gaps between them should have tipped you off anyway.

Yeah, if you look at them before walking on them. If you watch my vid though, I only saw them for a brief moment during my fight. All I really did was register "pathway" before moving onto them. I didn't exactly take time to look at them before walking onto them since I was under fire.

Hence the video. I missed it during the firefight and had to go back to see what happened. You're right though; had I walked up and looked at them as Bombast did in his test, then I would have made the connection and I wouldn't have walked on them.

#14 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

I wasn't saying it isn't a bit deceptive in the heat of the moment, but I knew about it because I went to examine the new map in Training Grounds mode before dropping on it so I could at least figure out where the landmarks are. There is WAY too much accessible out of bounds area there, BTW.

#15 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

View PostJames Argent, on 19 November 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

I wasn't saying it isn't a bit deceptive in the heat of the moment, but I knew about it because I went to examine the new map in Training Grounds mode before dropping on it so I could at least figure out where the landmarks are. There is WAY too much accessible out of bounds area there, BTW.

Ah, 10-4.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users