I Hate This Map

27 replies to this topic

#1 Phlynn

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

I prefer to play in a support role - that's right, the dreaded lrms and a beagle active probe. This map takes the worst of the manifold by offering a fight under an umbrella, mixes it with the claustrophobic alpha striking of frozen city, throws in a bit of the obtuse cover offered by tourmaline desert, and then just makes it hot.

The end result is just another alpha strike heavy map that's only redeeming feature is that the battles tend to move around because players can't just stand in one place due to all that cover and right click. This also means any lrm heavy mech is dead weight - 65 tons of dead weight in my catapult. First map that make the ability to mute other players a must.

That is my feedback.

#2 PJohann

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSoviet Union

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

View PostPhlynn, on 18 November 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

lrm heavy mech is dead weight

This is true. And also applied to any other map.
You saying you like to play support role. Have you considered to support your team by sharing your armor? Your LRM's still do damage in medium range and you have better chance to hit enemies with them when you getting your own reliable locks, did you know that? If map doesnt caters to "i sit in zimbabwe waiting for locks" playstyle it doesn't mean map is bad. In fact it makes this map pretty good - passive camping aka "supporting" being punished.

#3 Arjohan

• PipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

GIT

GUD

#4 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

Have you ever considered ATMs?

#5 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:41 AM

I prefer to play in a support role - that's right, the dreaded lrms and a beagle active probe. This map takes the worst of the manifold by offering a fight under an umbrella, mixes it with the claustrophobic alpha striking of frozen city, throws in a bit of the obtuse cover offered by tourmaline desert, and then just makes it hot.

The end result is just another alpha strike heavy map that's only redeeming feature is that the battles tend to move around because players can't just stand in one place due to all that cover and right click. This also means any lrm heavy mech is dead weight - 65 tons of dead weight in my catapult. First map that make the ability to mute other players a must.

That is my feedback.

LRM /= "support"
Light ACs are support, ERLLas are support.
LRMs are fine in nonsense engagements to leech money out of enemys by inflating dmg numbers, blastet components and stuff.
What you encountered there is the reason why LRMs are not "dreaded" at all except by very inexperienced adversarys or your own team.

To spell it out: "step aside and they miss or hit an obstacle"

#6 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:44 AM

Nevermind. It would be futile to describe how dumb it is to bring a Catapult without backup weapons anywhere.

Just know that if you're bringing what I can only assume is an LRM-only Catapult, that I suggest also bringing an E-Tool for digging your own grave.

Edited by Catten Hart, 19 November 2017 - 02:46 AM.

#7 Purusee

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:45 AM

if you want to do support fire, without relying on locks, but still want to share armor, consider getting a Jagermech or a Rifleman 3C and slap multiple (U)AC2s into it. A little less range than LRMs, but plenty of room to miss some shots, learn to lead your shots and more importantly, learn to aim. Heat is manageable as well, depending on how you use it.
And it suppresses most enemies just as well, without the usual "Incoming" warnings.

Or in other words, "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"

Edited by Purusee, 19 November 2017 - 02:52 AM.

#8 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

Played with an LRM Catapult on Rubellite and it was quite fun.

For me an LRM catapult means a bigger engine, 2 Alrm15 with 6 tons ammo, 2 streak and 2 medium laser... and majority of the shot in WVR combat.

#9 TheFourthAlly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMelbs, Oz

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

Good.

I like to play lights now and then and got Rubble a few times last night. I'm pretty sure that every single one of my three solo kills, was one of these 1000m away from the fight lurm lobbers, that were so intent on their fire buttons, I could have manually removed their back armour with a screwdriver, climbed into their cockpits, waved a barrel of gunpowder in their faces, lit a fuse and walked away with my back to the explosion to collect my Oscar for best special effects on the way to the next one.

Granted, one of them actually had some lasers installed, but never fired those that I could see. Certainly not at me, while I was doing the above.

Thanks for the free kills, please don't learn. :P

#10 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:27 AM

Ignore the guys who say LRMs are dead weight. That's only true in competitive play against organized teams.
In (Solo-) QP you can make every weapon work on every map if you know their strengths and weaknesses.

Sure, LRMs are quite unreliable because they are countered by lots of things. But in most matches you can still pull your weight.

The most important thing is to learn that LRMs are NOT a long-range weapon, despite their name. Get as close as possible (250-400m are ideal). This way you can not only use the terrain better to even use LRMs in dense brawling-areas like cities, your targets also don't have much time to get in cover.

I'm pretty sure that LRMs fired between 180 and 250m will not be blocked by most ceilings in Rubbelite because their flight paths flattens with decreasing distance. I think i even successfully fired LRMs while fighting under the concrete umbrella in Crimson, but i'm not sure about that.

The best LRM-boats are those who stick to their Assaults, share Armor with them and fire at their targets. This way you not only soften the targets up, you also blind and distract them. LRMs still cause fear, no Mech can ignore them for long. You are also protected from lights trying to backstab you. If someone underruns your range just keep shooting the slow priority targets, you've got plenty of friends near to get rid of your harasser.

This way even builds without backup weapons can work. Sure there will be the occasional 11-11 match where everyone laughs at you for having no backup weapon. But in most matches you can indeed do without as long as you stay within the pack.
When the enemy steamrolls your team and they are panicking too much to protect you, 2 medium lasers won't help much anyway.

Although i would advise to always equip some low-weight backup guns if your chassis allows it and you can still carry sufficient ammo.

Edited by Daggett, 20 November 2017 - 06:42 AM.

#11 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:02 PM

View PostDaggett, on 20 November 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

Although i would advise to always equip some low-weight backup guns if your chassis allows it and you can still carry sufficient ammo.

Bring backup weapon and more than 2 ersmall... and don't be scared to bring less ammo, in most of the time following an lrm potato boat, they die with more than half their ammo...

I find the Rubellite map quite fun, lots of different way to move trough. The best is with light mech with JJ.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 24 November 2017 - 07:11 PM.

#12 James Nostra

• PipPip
  • Warrior - Point 4
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

That is my feedback.

Neg, I find Rubellite Oasis a fun map, and a plus to eliminate what freebirth Inner Spheroids call NASCAR. It is not so easy to do this NASCAR. Makes one think and calculate on how to react to any situation. True, the canopy and tunnels make it difficult for one to fight when the Enemy is above you. Otherwise, a good map. As for you, you must use better weapons and learn to brawl better than the other, or get your freebirth hide handed to you. ATM's and ASRM/Streaks work well on this map.

#13 Kargan Durge

• PipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:30 PM

That is my feedback.

Heaven forbid there be any cover on a map... amiright? This kind of map is exactly what we need more of! Pockets of open area with plenty of different routes with cover. Fights are so much more engaging on this map because it has so many routes and vertical challenges. There's a place for missiles, but it can be mitigated so you LRM boats aren't some metal rain gods like on Polar Highlands. FYI, No skill LRM Boats are always dead weight, even on polar.

More of these type of Maps Please!

#14 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:33 AM

I hate dat word "Support Mech"!!!!!!!!!Posted Image

#15 Alan Hicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:12 AM

Hate the map ? Just don't vote for it. PGI did a huge effort to bring another flavor to the battle.

Yes, not everyone likes it but in time the map might dwell in oblivion like unpopular ones. I don't know that yet, that decision rests upon the community.

I sort of like the map, (feels like tourmaline 2 with a twist) but only because it is something different, a mix of the old ones you could say. Yes it can be somehow difficult to play given the obnoxious and usual team strategies but after a year and a half we all finally have something new that is not mechs or useless weaponry.

Edited by Alan Hicks, 25 November 2017 - 06:12 AM.

#16 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

View PostSam Ael, on 18 November 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

LRMs are always "dead weight".

Quoted just so I could say I like your sig' but you've forgotten one thing. "No idea, online".

As for the map my Ember likes it. Or rather it's Flamers do.

Edited by mad kat, 03 December 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#17 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:22 PM

That is my feedback.

Then you speak alone. One thing I love about this map is that you have to think, keep aware at all times, and most especially, try to outmaneuver your opponents.

#18 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

That is my feedback.

I have no issues using my LRM based mechs on this (or any) map. I don't know what your issue may be, but I've not been having any problems. It's a little more challenging on this map, much like some other maps, but I wouldn't consider it an impossible feat (or even hard).

However, any LRM build I have is a mixed build between LRMs and direct fire weapons. It may be possible that you might be relying too heavily upon your LRMs and may be served better by diversifying your build a little more for these situations/maps. I've found that LRMs make poor primary weapons, but excellent secondary/support weapons to help compliment other weapons within the whole of a build.

Can't say anything specific, really. But I do like the new map. I think it's good that combat tends to be constantly moving, and in different directions with multiple options for approaching the enemy. Makes each play on the map different, unlike some other maps that tend to be stale and boring due to limited angles you can play the map successfully.

#19 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:26 PM

View PostDaggett, on 20 November 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

Ignore the guys who say LRMs are dead weight. That's only true in competitive play against organized teams.
In (Solo-) QP you can make every weapon work on every map if you know their strengths and weaknesses.

Sure, LRMs are quite unreliable because they are countered by lots of things. But in most matches you can still pull your weight.

The most important thing is to learn that LRMs are NOT a long-range weapon, despite their name. Get as close as possible (250-400m are ideal). This way you can not only use the terrain better to even use LRMs in dense brawling-areas like cities, your targets also don't have much time to get in cover.

I'm pretty sure that LRMs fired between 180 and 250m will not be blocked by most ceilings in Rubbelite because their flight paths flattens with decreasing distance. I think i even successfully fired LRMs while fighting under the concrete umbrella in Crimson, but i'm not sure about that.

The best LRM-boats are those who stick to their Assaults, share Armor with them and fire at their targets. This way you not only soften the targets up, you also blind and distract them. LRMs still cause fear, no Mech can ignore them for long. You are also protected from lights trying to backstab you. If someone underruns your range just keep shooting the slow priority targets, you've got plenty of friends near to get rid of your harasser.

This way even builds without backup weapons can work. Sure there will be the occasional 11-11 match where everyone laughs at you for having no backup weapon. But in most matches you can indeed do without as long as you stay within the pack.
When the enemy steamrolls your team and they are panicking too much to protect you, 2 medium lasers won't help much anyway.

At those ranges, why not just MRM or ATM?

#20 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:46 AM

View PostDionnsai, on 06 December 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

At those ranges, why not just MRM or ATM?

That's a good question. Since the topic was LRMs i did not want to bloat my post with the differences to other missile weapons.

I think while MRMs and ATMs are more powerful in a vacuum, the missiles mainly serve different playstyles and have different advantages depending on the terrrain. In some situations i wish my ATMs would be LRMs because of their higher arc or enemy AMS, and sometimes i wish i would run indirect missiles instead of MRMs.

In fact a mixed build can be quite interesting:

So in the end when pugging it's just a matter of preference and as far as i know all three missile types are too unreliable and/or spread too much for competitive play.

Edited by Daggett, 07 December 2017 - 01:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users