How Does The Game Run For You?

25 replies to this topic

#21 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:26 AM

Mine runs pretty stable and okay. However I got games that comes right out with much better graphics, and yet achieve superior frame rates in the same hardware.

#22 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:18 AM

View PostAnjian, on 20 November 2017 - 01:26 AM, said:

Mine runs pretty stable and okay. However I got games that comes right out with much better graphics, and yet achieve superior frame rates in the same hardware.

That's purely due to the engine. Here is an extremely illuminating article where they tested the top end GPU of every year for the last 10 years to see how well it'd run Crysis, a 10y old game by now.

http://www.tomshardw...marks,5329.html

The ONLY card that could get Crysis, a 10 year old game, over 60 FPS at 4k was the 1080 Ti. One of the most powerful cards available only just manages 60 FPS minimum with AA on in a 10 year old game, that's insane.

There is a reason why the meme 'But can it run Crysis' is a thing. I'm so glad so many games are using the Vulcan engine now. The new X game, all the new shooters, etc. It's an extremely well optimized engine and has great multithread support, something engines 10y ago couldn't dream of. Heck even 5y ago your average PC still only had 2 cores thanks to intel. You can't develop an engine for hardware your average gamer doesn't have and you can't just flip a switch to enable multithreading in an engine either.

#23 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

View PostForceUser, on 19 November 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

No, no recording software or anything running. Just my browser/steam/background stuffs.

What everyone needs to remember is that different video settings affect different components. An easy example would be Textures. It almost exclusively affects the GPU. If your bottleneck is the CPU then lowering it will do nothing to improve FPS. If however your GPU is the bottleneck then lowering it will greatly increase FPS. IN my case I could gain probably around 10 to 15 FPS by lowering the GPU intensive settings because my GPU is obviously the bottleneck. This is also why I'm overclocking it. When I set it up I believe I gained around 10 or so FPS with the overclock. The voltage OC is particularly important because it allows the GPU to actually hit 100% power more easily, it won't auto throttle.

Speaking of throttling, bad air flow or temperatures because someone couldn't be bothered with doing the job of building a PC right will have very real affect on your GPU AND CPU. Both will throttle down, GPU especially, if temps get too high. The amount of extra performance you can get out of a PC by not being an ignorant little pos, especially some of the hardware people claim to have in this thread with terribad performance is crazy. 20-30 extra frames with a little overclock, a proper XMP profile, non terribad cooling/cable management and maybe cleaning out the gunk from your heatsinks/new TIM every 6 months.

Figuring out what the bottleneck is and which settings are gpu and cpu intensive is the right way to go when you are hitting a bottleneck. Don't think it applies as much here though. At least in my case since if running just the game its only pushing the computer ~50% on any component. No known bottleneck on the computer itself, inconsistent performance with multiple settings, both in game and pc.

Edited by dario03, 20 November 2017 - 05:53 AM.

#24 BenAran

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:48 AM

I would suspect that AMD hardware has something to do with it, since I am running purely AMD and, while the game does not run terribly, I do occasionally have 1-3 second freezes and some stutter.
On the other hand, people like Juju apparently never have framedrops ever and he uses purely intel/nvidia.
Call it a conspiracy, but the fact that Nvidia shows that its inside the game/sponsoring it could have to do with it.

#25 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:57 AM

View PostBenAran, on 20 November 2017 - 05:48 AM, said:

I would suspect that AMD hardware has something to do with it, since I am running purely AMD and, while the game does not run terribly, I do occasionally have 1-3 second freezes and some stutter.
On the other hand, people like Juju apparently never have framedrops ever and he uses purely intel/nvidia.
Call it a conspiracy, but the fact that Nvidia shows that its inside the game/sponsoring it could have to do with it.

I think that would come down to how much they were actually involved. Sometimes Nvidia/AMD do get involved with games to optimize performance or have extra features on their hardware. Other times thats basically just an ad at the start of the game. Heck iirc Crysis 2 (game with the engine this one is based on) actually ran better $for$ on new AMD graphics cards when it came out and it had the Nvidia screen too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users