Developer Q&A 2 - Community Warfare

89 replies to this topic

#81 Deblin Thrake

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNo farthest than a shadow's width...

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

Got a Q... When joining a match, do you have to wait till the server is full and starts or you can join on a match that is already ongoing?

Edit: few more questions...

1.- suppose i'm in a merc/house lance, but at the time i want to play none of my buddies are online, there's no proble with going on my own on a match and will be put with other ppl of my house or other mercs, right?
2.- the matches are generated by the server or can be created by users?
3.- will there be merc contract postigns on ALL matches and sides? or only on some of them?
4.- suppose i'm part of house davion, and there are no matches for my house available, i'll have to wait till a match appears to play?

i know some of those Qs are noobish but i want to fully understand how the game will work, so i can choose sides, since this game is different from other FPSs where you join the server, and join the side you want.... since here, there'll be side specific pros and cons, just want to be fully informed...

Edited by Deblin Thrake, 29 June 2012 - 03:43 AM.

#82 Citizen-Geronimo

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Will planetary control give any bonuses to faction; i.e c-bill or resources to the faction players, will planets have jump points/supply line impacts?

Basically, other than owning more space, why would a faction choose one planet over another, is this going to be important in MWO?

#83 Xingua

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

This might be a little bit of a weird question. I work as a video game tester and I was wondering if I could indicate that anywhere to help my application for beta access? I am a highly experienced QA tester and a TCR tester which is compliance for Xbox. Please let me know.

#84 Ciypherr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 119 posts
  • LocationTharkad City, Tharkad Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Will the community warfare model go through a Beta stage before it launches, really what I mean is will we get to test it prior to launch in some way ;)

#85 RedThirteen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 159 posts
  • LocationRockets

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

To add flavor to the game.. Will there be faction exclusives? Like mechs, or tech, or weapons, or equipment?

#86 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 21 December 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

Will planetary control come down to one/a few games, or will taking over a planet require much more time...like 20 games? –Cyttorak
[MATT C] At launch planetary control will consist of single matches though over time we intend to add support for sequenced matches.

Im really hoping they rethink this idea... Matches are pretty fast for ONE to determine an entire planjet

#87 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Hi all,

Its been a while since this topic has been updated. While I do not want to distract the dev team from the real work of actually getting the game out the door, I am helpless to resist the temptation to ask for more info on Community Warfare. I bought into Legendary on the hope and prayer that there would be a strong implementation of faction vs faction warfare, making this the defining issue for me. Whether a PPC fires once in 10 seconds or some other value is largely irrelevant to me.

My first point of concern is whether the bits of info gleaned from here still represents the approach PGI is taking to Community Warfare regarding Factions vs Mercs. Whether the design approach is centered on Faction being "passive" and Mercs being "active", or whether the overall design plan will focus on gradually implementing player run factions. I don't mind a long delay, I am just hoping that there is some sort of commitment to seeing it in the game at some point.

When I first found this game, the vision that I had is that Houses would be the focus of development; but I realize that I had my blinders on and I was reading things selectively hoping to see a reboot of MPBT. After all, in the BT lore, it was all about House vs House conflict raging across the whole I.S., not about mercs vs mercs. And since there has been such a focus on staying true to the "lore", I kinda naturally assumed that keeping true to the weapon values implied keeping true to the spirit of the lore behind the game.

However, I do understand that implementing player run factions is a very significant challenge. The way it was done in the past (which I am honest enough to admit is really what I am asking for) may not be feasible. There are a wide range of suggestions from the player base on how to do Community Warfare; I am really curious to see if these threads have had an impact on design discussions on how to do CW.

In terms of thread volume, this thread has had a lot of interesting discussion principally focusing on a model of merc vs merc direct matchups for territorial control; similar to the way it was done in WoT. While I definitely do not like this approach, in terms of popularity I might be in the minority. My objection to this approach is that I personally hated the system of scheduled matches. In this model one is required to schedule ones life around the game rather than the other way around.

I offered some ideas in this thread, focused on offering a few ideas in favor of an MPBT reboot attempting to incorporate some of the announced concepts in the dev blog; shameless plug. :P

But, once I discovered the thread entitled MPBT: 3025 I realized that there was a much better description of what I wanted, SS's thread located here describing the design specs for the long canceled game. Now obviously I know we wont see everything listed there as described given that its the product of another company and despite the game being long dead its proprietary material. However, I know that PGI could easily abstract the key concepts and implement them in a unique way. What I am after is a system that has a strong implementation of factions with a chain of command and a strategic metagame to sink my teeth into.

And so I work my way finally to this thread, hoping to get an update on what we are likely to see down the road after we hit the 90 day mark of Open Beta. :(

Edited by Kyrie, 20 August 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#88 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

Very excited for community warfare, props to the Devs.

#89 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Now that we are in Open Beta, and the next huge milestone is CW.....

Anything you would like to share with us, Devs? :-) Would like an update/details on plans... if possible. Thanks!

#90 Korz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

And what is the estimated time frame of this going into the game?

Cause for me personally and many of my friends the game has nothing till this piece is in it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users