31 replies to this topic

#1 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:59 PM

Once again I am sending out a casting calling to any interested BT fans for participation in an animated fan film. No prior experience is required, no role is set to a specific age, gender, or accent, anyone can apply. When the animation is nearly completed I will upload the WIP video as a visual aid. As the video will mainly be from a perspective outside of the mech's cockpits there is a lot of flexibility in how one chooses to read their lines. Creativity is encouraged. The previous users I worked with added a lot of personality to their lines and by extension the entire video through their own input.

As I am putting up this thread much earlier in the project than previously there is a much greater chance of things changing before everything can get finalized with the voices. I have about 1 minute of the video done out of appoximately 4 minutes and will send that to those interested for the time being.

Feel free to ask me anything I may have left out or if you're just curious!

I am also looking for more than just VOs! If you have an interest in helping with minor 3D elements, music, or sound effects feel free to contact me as well! Anyone whose content makes it into the video will be fully credited of course.

Script: https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/MECHWARRIOR-HOLD-THE... (Subject to minor change)
Deadline for application: 1/15/2018 (I'll need at least some of your lines sent to me by this time.)
Format: .mp3 (At least one file per character role. No maximum number of files required.)
Email: ianfarrelly93@gmail.com

Posted Image

Posted Image

Previous Project:

Edited by Kilroy, 22 November 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#2 Obelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

Just wanted to say I was impressed by the previous project. Good voice work and visuals. Wish I could voice act but I'm just a writer. Having said that I've got a couple of observations from reading your script:

You don't need scene one.

For scene two and three you should tighten the dialogue and add some character to it. Example “We’re running low on ammo for our weapons.”...could be shortened to “We’re running low on ammo” or "Ammo is a problem". And for character “Hull is holding fine for the moment” could be "Hull is holding...barely!" if said by a scared rookie. If he's a by the book guy he'll be precise "Hull is at sixteen percent." If he's a grizzled vet he might say something like "We got peppered good...but no holes yet."

Anyway, good luck

#3 Quek

Rookie

• The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAmongst Basins and Ranges

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:05 AM

Is just our voices good enough or should we add effects to them, too make them seem more appropriate over comms?

#4 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostObelus, on 21 November 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

Just wanted to say I was impressed by the previous project. Good voice work and visuals. Wish I could voice act but I'm just a writer. Having said that I've got a couple of observations from reading your script:

You don't need scene one.

For scene two and three you should tighten the dialogue and add some character to it. Example “We’re running low on ammo for our weapons.”...could be shortened to “We’re running low on ammo” or "Ammo is a problem". And for character “Hull is holding fine for the moment” could be "Hull is holding...barely!" if said by a scared rookie. If he's a by the book guy he'll be precise "Hull is at sixteen percent." If he's a grizzled vet he might say something like "We got peppered good...but no holes yet."

Anyway, good luck

Thanks! Scene ones helps to reestablish some bit of personality between the characters as well as the limited visibility which the protagonists use to defeat the enemy later on. I would also like to open the video with something besides pure action, which is how most of the others have started. The exact text is more a guideline and heavily subject to change by those who read it. Everyone is going to give their own little flavor to it and that is how the dialogue ended up being a bit more interesting than average in the last installment. The script is extremely early (I still have 2-3 months to do the video) but you get the idea.

#5 A Headless Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 273 posts
  • LocationImmersed in Stupid.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

View PostKilroy, on 21 November 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

Deadline for application: 1/15/2017

I'll give it a shot if I make that deadline.

;9

#6 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

View PostA Headless Chicken, on 22 November 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

I'll give it a shot if I make that deadline.

;9

Posted Image

Fixed!

#7 EvAbsence

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

Hmm... I won't say I'm not interested.

#8 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

#9 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

Posted Image

Never been too good at humans but I figured I might as well try to make a pilot.

#10 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:24 PM

View PostKilroy, on 21 November 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

Once again I am sending out a casting calling to any interested BT fans for participation in an animated fan film. No prior experience is required, no role is set to a specific age, gender, or accent, anyone can apply. When the animation is nearly completed I will upload the WIP video as a visual aid. As the video will mainly be from a perspective outside of the mech's cockpits there is a lot of flexibility in how one chooses to read their lines. Creativity is encouraged. The previous users I worked with added a lot of personality to their lines and by extension the entire video through their own input.

As I am putting up this thread much earlier in the project than previously there is a much greater chance of things changing before everything can get finalized with the voices. I have about 1 minute of the video done out of appoximately 4 minutes and will send that to those interested for the time being.

Feel free to ask me anything I may have left out or if you're just curious!

I am also looking for more than just VOs! If you have an interest in helping with minor 3D elements, music, or sound effects feel free to contact me as well! Anyone whose content makes it into the video will be fully credited of course.

Script: https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/MECHWARRIOR-HOLD-THE... (Subject to minor change)
Deadline for application: 1/15/2018 (I'll need at least some of your lines sent to me by this time.)
Format: .mp3 (At least one file per character role. No maximum number of files required.)
Email: ianfarrelly93@gmail.com

Posted Image

Posted Image

Previous Project:

Nice video!!!

Also quad mech!!!

PS: isn't that walking animation of the Goliath wrong? Posted Image

#11 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:41 PM

View PostOdanan, on 29 November 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

Nice video!!!

Also quad mech!!!

PS: isn't that walking animation of the Goliath wrong? Posted Image

Nope, that's exactly how a quad needs to run.

Edited by Kilroy, 29 November 2017 - 05:46 PM.

#12 ENOVA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 18 Qualifier
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

I will try. Do you need clear voice record to make a decision?

#13 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

View PostENOVA, on 29 November 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

I will try. Do you need clear voice record to make a decision?

Most characters will be speaking over radio so it doesn't need to be perfect. However, I do need something to work with even if the file quality is only mediocre.

#14 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

View PostKilroy, on 29 November 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

Nope, that's exactly how a quad needs to run.

The question is if your goal is realism or entertainment using the illusion of realism. The realisic way may not be the only or visually most pleasing one.
In movies and games realism is often sacrificed to either provide the experience the audience expects or to do the opposite and provide an unexpected experience.

Take laser weapons for example. Current military laser weapons like the LaWS are invisible under normal conditions which totally makes sense. But it will be hard to find any movie or game where they are not colored beams (MWO) or even projectiles (Star Wars). Not to speak of the lightsaber! Or the death star's silly superlaser focusing. Posted Image

Transformers are also a nice example of something that would probably be boring for many viewers if made realistic.

Edit: In your video the animation of the Goliath looks quite funny. If you intended it to be funny then everything is alright. If not, then maybe try "illusion of realism" next time. Posted Image

Edited by Daggett, 30 November 2017 - 02:27 PM.

#15 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

I'll probably avoid using quads in the future if it's bothersome. Previously it was animated with more a gallop but got similar feedback, heh. It seems to be causing more complaints than not.

#16 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:25 AM

I wouldn't say it's bothersome, in fact it's interesting because you don't see them that often animated.

I think the trick is to make them very slow and avoid running. Together with the right camera angles and lighting a quad mech can become quite intimidating. Take a look at the Gorilla AT-ATs right at the start of the new Star Wars trailer or the AT-ATCs in Rogue One for example. Even the ones from the very old movies still look quite fearsome in many scenes. All have in common that they are moving very slow.

#17 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

nearly done, should email you in a few hours with the files

#18 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

sent, let me know if you got it

#19 Kilroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 650 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Project is in its final stages with 5 days remaining for entry. Those who are interested please be sure to get in the door before that deadline. After that date I can make no promises on including additional VOs.

#20 A Headless Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 273 posts
  • LocationImmersed in Stupid.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

Dropped mine by, goodluck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users