- - - - -

Narc Not Working This Evening...?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Z3r0 D4m4g3

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:53 PM

I was playing my NARC Raven this evening and more than once I pressed the button to fire my beacon and the only thing that happened was the ammo went down. No launching sound, no projectile flying through the air, large stationary target not NARC'd. At first I thought it might be lag but it definitely happened often enough to make me wonder. Everything else worked fine and the NARC did work probably around 60% of the time. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-ZD

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

For some reason, NARC has very little graphical indication and sometimes you can completely miss it. Add to this that like some heavily scripted projectiles (looking at you, Clan ER PPC), hit detection is...kinda spotty. For best results I find it better to aim for a pelvis on targets that aren't the size of the Good Year Blimp. Nothing like planting a big phallic tracker on the rear end of an enemy Battlemech. Except maybe "A Thousand Years of Death". Feel free to look that one up on youtube at your own risk.

If you use a TAG you can kinda help hit detection along, and try to keep a range of more than 100 meters when doing it (to make sure it has enough time to register).

Short of hit reg errors, client-side no-see-ems are somewhat inconsequential.
I have no idea why the sound fails, but when the NARC itself fails to render it stands the reason if the projectile doesn't spawn clientside, it won't make the sound upon spawning either.

#3 Z3r0 D4m4g3

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

Thanks. It's possible there was no hit detection but I wish I still had the recordings of some. Stationary targets, large, clear shot (no hit boxes in the way), pressing the key... and nothing. No sound, no projectile, no beacon broadcasting. No worries, I'll just be more careful.

Thanks!
-ZD

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

Truth be told... it is when the enemy is still that hit detection for it (and ER PPCs) are at their worst. The most common time for the complaint is when they are shutting down, but generally being still makes things difficult. If it doesn't work when they are stationary, wait for them to move then peg them.

#5 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:24 AM

NARC working fine for me...ran a Raven yesterday

#6 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:32 AM

View PostZ3r0 D4m4g3, on 22 November 2017 - 11:53 PM, said:

I was playing my NARC Raven this evening and more than once I pressed the button to fire my beacon and the only thing that happened was the ammo went down. No launching sound, no projectile flying through the air, large stationary target not NARC'd. At first I thought it might be lag but it definitely happened often enough to make me wonder. Everything else worked fine and the NARC did work probably around 60% of the time. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-ZD

Maybe enemy had AMS and you where more than 150m away ?
Single narc pod against an AMS equiped mech is like throwing your ammo directly into the garbage bin.

#7 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:27 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 24 November 2017 - 02:32 AM, said:

Maybe enemy had AMS and you where more than 150m away ?
Single narc pod against an AMS equiped mech is like throwing your ammo directly into the garbage bin.

^ this. AMS will destroy a Narc before it reaches the target.

Also, even if you land your Narc on an enemy, an ECM bubble can negate the Narc's effects, making it look like the Narc disappeared into the void.

#8 Z3r0 D4m4g3

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:43 AM

I didn't know AMS worked against NARC... interesting. And the ECM bubble. Wow. Thanks - that's most definitely what was probably happening then. I'll have to be more careful!

-ZD

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users