9 replies to this topic

#1 VitiateDiabolus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 117 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:41 PM

So years ago I spent most of my Founder's MC on a bunch of heroes during a sale, only to find upon my recent return that time has not been kind to the vast majority of them. I'm curious if, after all the quirk nerfs and the introduction of new Civil War Tech, anyone has found ways to make the old classics work again.

The 'mechs and how I have them equipped at the moment:

Ilya Muromets - Standard triple AC/10. Not precisely bad, but certainly feels like maybe Cataphracts have been creeped out of the heavy mech scene. Haven't tried Ultra 5s but that seems like the next logical option.

Grid Iron - Standard single Gauss + pulse laser. Is there any way to take advantage of this guy's hardpoints and quirks to get a hunchback that isn't just crap, or better on another chassis? The gauss seems pretty pathetic, I think this has become my least favourite medium.

Huginn - SRM4s and machine guns. I don't have a lot of hope for this guy. Seems like junk, doesn't have the hardpoints or tonnage to be good at anything, and the quirks for the one proscribed build that 'works' are insignificant.

Misery - AC/20 Snub PPC deadside with rockets, B33f style. Not sure if this is a real improvement on the normal Misery deadside, but the rockets seem worth it given that slow assaults usually seem to evaporate shortly after breaking cover. Misery still feels decently playable compared to most of the other heroes, but its damage feels pathetic compared to the alphas I can dish out on other assaults.

Sparky - Triple large pulse lasers. Still seems to get decent performance, but I haven't seen the triple large pulse a lot lately and I understand the new laser meme is triple LL + mediums or ER mediums, so I'm planning to try that out. Feels more sluggish than I remember, as do my other Griffins, making it hard to shield.

Yen Lo Wang - AC/20 & medium lasers zombie. Seems to get eaten pretty fast, but maybe I just don't know how to drive. Feels a bit sluggish, like the Griffin.

Edited by VitiateDiabolus, 26 November 2017 - 10:42 PM.

#2 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:02 PM

Ilya - 3 UAC/5, 3 ML still works... just mind the XL280.

Grid Iron - I run mine like this with both ballistic ammo nodes, gimmick mech but fun (and makes use of that gauss quirk).

Huginn - Still avoid like the plague, even though this was a gift from a stream giveaway of a now banned romance novelist. I agree with him in saying that it's sh*t plated iron pyrite.

Misery - Not comp-level good, but not trash either. HG + 3 LPL deadside.

Sparky - Still run the classic 2 LPL, 4 ML to great effect. Changed the large XL for a LFE.

Yen Lo - AC/20 + Snubby love, best build for it while being the most fun at the same time.

#3 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:04 AM

Ilya - don't own it.
Grid Iron - yeah, it's meh at best.
Huginn - a beast, lovely mech esp. In a pack. Had and have great fun with it.
Misery - gauss, hg, uac/20/10 and 3-4 lpl or erll. Phantastic mech rolls and twists damage like only stalkers can do. Love it.
Sparky - lpl erml, erll, snubs etc. Works quite amazing with heavy ppc's too. Still like it.
Ylw - pure love. My first hero, still play it frequently with great success.

#4 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:25 AM

Ilya - I use 2 x UAC-10s and ER medlas. Works okay. Tanky with a LFE.

Grid Iron - Tried to make it work with Heavy Gauss, but meh

Huginn - The SRM4 design still works, but now there is also 2 x MRM10 where you can now stay at med range and harrass.

Don't own the rest.

#5 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:08 AM

ILYA MUROMETS is pretty fun with 3xLB10X and 2-3xML

Grid Iron and Huginn are lost cause without increase of the quirks.

Misery LFE can give quite a lot more weapons/sinks but less tanky then...

Sparky with Heavy PPCs is also OK.

Wang is still fun with XL300

are any of those REALLY good anymore, not really... but good enough for good player to carry his own weight, but good enough to carry match if team = potatoes.

#6 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:28 AM

The Grid Iron is still workable with Gauss/3 ERMEDs. It's cooldown is still decent, but not close to the awesomeness of the past.

#7 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:41 AM

Put an XL300 in that Wang and it won't feel sluggish.

Slightly related, do you have either of the Wang's cousins: CN9-AH or CN9-A(NCIX)?
In my opinion, the additional hardpoints make these mechs more interesting than the Wang.

#8 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:41 AM

Ilya; RAC/5 and 2 Ultra 2s. DPS machine.

GI; 2 LGauss (3 1/2 tons ammo). Troll sniper build that can do reasonable damage constantly.

Huginn; 4 LMG and 2 MRM10 as a conventional build. Can also do 4 HMG and 2 RL20s for a really close in knife fighter (can alpha the 2 20s despite GH because of missile quirks).

Misery; Ultra 20, RL20, and 2 SnPPCs in the left arm. Also seen an stock like build with a HGauss instead (and lasers either upgraded to ER, or some swapped with pulse) that seemed really fun.

Sparky; Build it like a Crab. 6 MPL, 300 LFE, 7 JJs, and stuff the rest with DHS. Or you could drop the lasers to ERMLs and lose the JJs to get a LFE 350 engine.

Wang; Um... stock weapons (switch mediums to ER) with a LFE 280 engine. Running around at 90kph with a superquirked AC/20.

Edited by Athom83, 27 November 2017 - 06:46 AM.

#9 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:25 AM

Heh, i swapped to something very similar to athom83

Illya, 2 Rac2's + UAC10, 3ERML's though another option is UAC20+2 LMG's and some 2ERML's (the second was basically my old build i really liked but upgraded, at one time it was my best mech!)

Huggin, 2 MRM10's and 4 LMGs. Just an FYI, the tub count has been increased so you can also use SRM6's and they cluster pretty tight.

Misery, UAC20, MRM20, 5 ERML's Runs hot, but works darn well,. I take it into FW alot.. its in one of my main decks.

Sparky, 6 MPL's its a great fast moving brawler.

#10 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:07 AM

View PostVitiateDiabolus, on 26 November 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

So years ago I spent most of my Founder's MC on a bunch of heroes during a sale, only to find upon my recent return that time has not been kind to the vast majority of them. I'm curious if, after all the quirk nerfs and the introduction of new Civil War Tech, anyone has found ways to make the old classics work again.

The 'mechs and how I have them equipped at the moment:

Ilya Muromets - Standard triple AC/10. Not precisely bad, but certainly feels like maybe Cataphracts have been creeped out of the heavy mech scene. Haven't tried Ultra 5s but that seems like the next logical option.

Grid Iron - Standard single Gauss + pulse laser. Is there any way to take advantage of this guy's hardpoints and quirks to get a hunchback that isn't just crap, or better on another chassis? The gauss seems pretty pathetic, I think this has become my least favourite medium.

Huginn - SRM4s and machine guns. I don't have a lot of hope for this guy. Seems like junk, doesn't have the hardpoints or tonnage to be good at anything, and the quirks for the one proscribed build that 'works' are insignificant.

Misery - AC/20 Snub PPC deadside with rockets, B33f style. Not sure if this is a real improvement on the normal Misery deadside, but the rockets seem worth it given that slow assaults usually seem to evaporate shortly after breaking cover. Misery still feels decently playable compared to most of the other heroes, but its damage feels pathetic compared to the alphas I can dish out on other assaults.

Sparky - Triple large pulse lasers. Still seems to get decent performance, but I haven't seen the triple large pulse a lot lately and I understand the new laser meme is triple LL + mediums or ER mediums, so I'm planning to try that out. Feels more sluggish than I remember, as do my other Griffins, making it hard to shield.

Yen Lo Wang - AC/20 & medium lasers zombie. Seems to get eaten pretty fast, but maybe I just don't know how to drive. Feels a bit sluggish, like the Griffin.

Dude, actually your set of heros there could be taken as example for top list candidates of IS-Heromechs.

For the light class there may be one or two on same hight as your Huginn (Piratesbane or Oxide maybe) but thats it.
For your medium heros, both the Sparky and the YenLo are mighty fine mechs.
Sparky with 6ERMed laser and ample heatsinks and speed and Yenlo with AC20 and two medpulse with light engine and endo.
Well the Hunchbacks aren't crap.
They are just THE generic Battlemech everyone started with.
To get stuff going with the GI you need to like Gauss. Tough...I know....but with max CD quirks on cooldown and some modifications to the weapon loadout this shouldn't be to big of a problem. (Ditch the missiles change the lasers to standart or ER and concentrate on the 30% CD reduction you got for your gauss)

Did you know the 3 AC10 Ilya has been dubed the Ilya Murdermets by a lot of ppl ?
Especially since the AC10 buff. Those guns are as precise as PPCs and have neither min range nor heatpenalty for firing more than two. (the treshhold is 3 methinks)

Misery...well I never liked stalkers so...there is nothing I could say here...has horrific quirks.Posted Image

But all in all those are not outright bad mechs at all.

Edited by The Basilisk, 28 November 2017 - 03:15 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users