#21 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:16 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 December 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

Believe it or not, height makes very little difference in this game. It's width that matters. A narrow but tall target is going to be a lot harder to hit along its axis of movement (horizontal) than a fat but squat target. Of course, the taller you are, the harder it is to find cover, but it isn't so tall it can't find ample places to hide.

Ask my Black knight about it...

#22 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:05 AM

View Posta gaijin, on 06 December 2017 - 12:43 AM, said:

Doesn’t HMN feel super sluggish without Mobility tree?? I feel like SMNs are more agile.
Def gona do all Cool Run & HC nodes—even with 10 (9?) dhs this thing is hot as hell.
Still on the fence on whether I should take TC3 (4?...can’t remember) and not enable Velocity nodes (and put em in Radar Dep/seismic instead) or take a smaller TC for just one more DHS and skip Radar Dep for Velocity...

On some maps RD works wonders...and can be like “extra armor.” At least that’s how it seems

I used to main Dire Wolves, King Crabs, Maulers, Kodiaks, and Executioners, nothing much besides 100 ton mechs feel sluggish to me. I learned to do with very little mobility, so now when I drive the lighter classes I can put the extra mobility I get to even greater purpose than normal. It may also be why I like to take high amounts of firepower and survival nodes to mimic my old assault mech days.

Skill tree really is up to preference though, depending on your own skill set some nodes may be better for you than others. I do just fine without any mobility nodes even doing things like brawling in Victors. I've poptarted in the Dire Wolf S of all things before that gauss+ERPPC ghost heat linking.

As for radar dep, its nice and all, but it seems that its main use is breaking locks for missiles quickly, though my playstyle revolves around using lots of hard cover and taking up power positions (once again, assault mech 101) so I end up not needing it at all.

Basically just get skills that cover any weaknesses you have in piloting and boost anything that you're good at in piloting.

View PostDamnedtroll, on 06 December 2017 - 05:16 AM, said:

Ask my Black knight about it...

I love the Black Knights, they spread damage very well, sometimes you can just turn the torso 90 degrees away from the enemy and just dodge shots at range just walking in a straight line. Something like that is unheard of in something like a Marauder.

Edited by Dakota1000, 06 December 2017 - 07:07 AM.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:29 AM

View Posta gaijin, on 06 December 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

In all honesty I’d love to take at least some machine guns andor/ sPL for those times but even with max Dhs now it is a veeery hot build. I guess it doesn’t hurt to experiment a bit though Posted Image

Fire less frequently, and remember you can use those while the mech is hot and still cool.

Was going to quote my Misery build, where when I get hot I switch to the alternate weapons, but more suited is my Rifleman build.

When you get hot just switch over. Try a single ER medium laser and a Light Machine Gun. They work well in concert. The punch isn't tremendous but it ensures you can keep firing when you're too hot, and even with two less DHS, you'll cool much faster than you heat up with the rig.

And when you cool enough, finish 'em with an ER PPC at close range.

#24 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

View Posta gaijin, on 06 December 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

that IS a sexy mech!!

I think a medium mech needs Survival nodes & probably radar deprivation too, at least to some extent. Since I love PPCs so much I tend to max out *all* the Cool Run and Heat Containment nodes.

I’m kinda on the fence about whether mobility should take preference over the Weapons tree Velocity nodes.

I normally use Summoners and this HMN feels way more slow & sluggish compared to it! Then again the SMN’s skilled out and the HMN is brand new...

Personally, on a build like that I'd max out survival (with the exclusion of three nodes I can work around/without), cool run (but not so much heat containment), almost all the JJ skills and then velocity and cool shot nodes. I've found that the JJ skills are really helpful, and can make most any JJ mech "dance". Really improves the mobility aspect of the mech, and if you are doing any jump sniping with those PPCs, than it's a real boon. (My opinion.)

As far as compared between the Summoner and the Huntsmen (I own both), I much prefer the Huntsmen over the Summoner. Like my Summoner, but love the Huntsmen. I get much better results with the Huntsmen to be honest. Neither of them have mobility skills, besides JJ skills. If anything, I find them comparable or almost the same, if not the Huntsmen a little bit more agile.

View Posta gaijin, on 06 December 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

In all honesty I’d love to take at least some machine guns andor/ sPL for those times but even with max Dhs now it is a veeery hot build. I guess it doesn’t hurt to experiment a bit though Posted Image

Experimentation is part of the game. If you want to give it a try, by all means. It's only going to cost you C-bills, and I find C-bills come and C-bills goes. So honestly... What are you risking overall?

#25 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

Id keep it, the huntsman is a very solid clan medium if you are not trying to go for maximum mobility (in which case get a crow). Since it has JJs, PPCs are actually good on it, but i generally am not a big fan of dual PPC, id much rather have 1GR and 1ERPPC so i get better sustained DPS, cooling, and more effective damage (15 actual damage vs 10+5 splash). I run that build on my summoner (mostly due to the 20% ballistic cooldown quirk) and it tears entire teams apart if im patient and use the range and accuracy to my advantage, whittling people down with time rather then trying to outbrawl anything early game (its only 25 damage, pinpoint of not, nothings gonna get 1 shotted by it consistently).

Also, unlike the hunch2c, its profile is better (easier to shield), it looks a hell of alot cooler (subjective but i mean hunch is a box on legs, this has actual style), and due to being omni, you can run any of the builds on a single variant as opposed to the hunch which you need to get multiple types if you wanna run all the variations from missiles to energy to cannons. Unless you have more huntsmans, hold on to it and play around with what works for you (myself i dont like or play dual PPC mechs, but thats just me, some love it).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users