#41 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:46 PM

View PostEscef, on 07 December 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

A mech with a 100 point higher engine cap might have an edge over it? Posted Image

What I mean was I think its a playstyle issue for me. I don't think I can tolerate travelling at 48 max or position good enough. Hence its a disadvantage

Well its a trade off of speed for firepower in the Anni, so I guess good pilots with good positioning and map knowledge probably can use the Anni well. I've seen really good pilots in the DWF with really high scores so I guess ymmv.

#42 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

I'm using a simple build with a STD 300 engine, twin RAC/5s, 4 Heavy MGs, 2 SPL, and three ER MLs.

It works fairly well with some gotos in case of troubles and issues. The SPL/HeavyMG combination does phenomenal for finishing off near dead prey while the RACs cool off. I'm very aggressive with my brawling and often end up doing somewhere in the 600 damage range in 30 seconds to a minute on bad scenarios, and on good ones easily do over a thousand damage. But like my many non-meta heresy builds, it doesn't rely on some fading meta but fairly sound reasoning and skill with weapon groups, ranges and superior heat management.

#43 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

Here is what I am using so far since I bought them earlier this week.

ANH-1A=(3x AC-10, 1x PPC, 4x mlas, 295 STD)
ANH-1P=(2x AC-20, 2x LLAS, 1x AMS, 300 LFE)
ANH-1X=(4x LBX-10, 7x slas, 1x AMS, 270 LFE)
ANH-2A=(6x LBX-2, 4x slas, 1x LAMS, 300 STD)

Edited by Spheroid, 07 December 2017 - 11:47 PM.

#44 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:48 AM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 07 December 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

You're hardly standing around trading shots. You're getting assist credits. You're helping those members of your team who did bring long-range builds to do that little bit of extra poke. You're encouraging enemies who don't realize they're only Light PPCs to try to close with you faster. You're even shutting down enemy ECM for the overall benefit of your team.
You're in an Annihilator. Any time you're able to fire at anything they'll have a much easier time firing back at you because your mech is huge, slow and it's weapons are mounted low. You should be assuming that you will be trading shots any time you are shooting.

You could probably swap for MPLs or something if you want to overspecialize, but then you have literally zero options for anything but short range. Every point of damage that your team can throw matters, It also helps that it's 10 damage on a single spot for less tonnage than a standard PPC would allow. And until the enemy gets inside 90m, as they get close it only adds potential damage.
Having zero options at a given range is better than having bad options, because it means you won't try to fight at a disadvantage.

And sure, you could up-gun the thing from SPPCs to HPPCs and forego the secondary guns if you wanted, but that reduces your combat durability immensely. You might get off a couple of shots (2 at a time only, unless you need an emergency burst and are willing to take the risks associated with shutting down or overriding), but you'll quickly red-line and have to pace yourself to the point where you'd be better off with the lighter payload for the superior total damage output and dps.
Heavy PPCs are in fact more heat efficient than snubnose or light PPCs, not less. Also that "2 at a time only" is still double or 50% more PPFLD respectively than either of your PPC types are capable of.

Besides, the point wasn't to say that this particular build is the best Anni build, or even the best energy variant Anni build, simply that it is one with which I have found success. Naturally each pilot has to figure out what works for him with each mech he drives. Would I drive this build in faction play? No. Do I find it to be both fun and effective in quick play? Certainly. There are different builds for different purposes, and this is definitely not for comp play or faction warfare. It can do the job in 1v1 (at least, on the Steiner arena, with its constrained environment), but it's mostly for messing around with something other than lasers or ACs on an Annihilator in QP.
Yet you keep trying to come up with reasons why objectively bad tactics and a build that caters to them aren't bad. I don't care how you play your mech, I do however have a problem with you misinforming other players. We get enough potatoes with frankenmechs as it is.

#45 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:06 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 08 December 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

Heavy PPCs are in fact more heat efficient than snubnose or light PPCs, not less. Also that "2 at a time only" is still double or 50% more PPFLD respectively than either of your PPC types are capable of.

Using Smurfy's mechlab, after building both options and comparing them side-to-side, the quad HPPC version has lower overall heat efficiency (about equal when you consider secondary weapons that it can't take), lower sustained DPS (significantly lower when you only look at firing various PPCs on the Snub+Light build), and is basically helpless inside 90m.

The Snub nose build also screws over enemy lights, which would eat the HPPC version for breakfast.

You do your thing and I'll do mine, but I'd ask you to refrain from undermining yourself by slinging insults. It reduces the overall efficacy of the discussion and does nobody any good.

I'd also note that frankenmechs are literally impossible to build in MWO.

#46 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

View PostLevi Porphyrogenitus, on 08 December 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

I'd also note that frankenmechs are literally impossible to build in MWO.

Which is a shame, because that would open up some crazy combinations.

#47 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:28 PM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 07 December 2017 - 07:46 PM, said:

Decided not to get the Anni after playing around with it in the lab.

Seems like KDK 3 still has the edge over it.

View PostEscef, on 07 December 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

A mech with a 100 point higher engine cap might have an edge over it? Posted Image

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 07 December 2017 - 08:46 PM, said:

What I mean was I think its a playstyle issue for me. I don't think I can tolerate travelling at 48 max or position good enough. Hence its a disadvantage

Well its a trade off of speed for firepower in the Anni, so I guess good pilots with good positioning and map knowledge probably can use the Anni well. I've seen really good pilots in the DWF with really high scores so I guess ymmv.

Changed my mind.

Went 6 ac2s 4mpls and got 2 kills 500 damage in 1st match.

Great for kill stealing Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

PS: And I changed my mind again... its bad haha

Edited by UnofficialOperator, 12 December 2017 - 10:03 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users