21 replies to this topic

#1 Silas7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 130 posts
  • Location'Mechbay

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:37 PM

This is just a simple shoutout to PGI but you guys 'n gals should really make cooldown relevant for RACs or if they already are then the game needs to do a better job communicating the changes inside the mechlab. I just hate wasting skill nodes on CD trying to get my RAC ballistic boat all of the dedicated ballistic skills like UAC/RAC jam and Mag capacity.

#2 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

That would almost certainly cause the same runaway ghost heat problem that PGI had with flamers. It is simply beyond their ability to program.

Lower your expectations and remember what the definition of Minimally-Viable-Product is.

#3 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:46 PM

they should just get rid of jamming on RACs entirely

instead give RACs a clip size (each clip would be 1 ton of ammo) and when they run out of ammo in the clip, they go on cooldown to reload

then the cooldown nodes would work for them

NOBODY LIKES JAMMING PGI. GET RID OF JAMMING ON UACS TOO WHILE YOURE AT IT.

Edited by Khobai, 08 December 2017 - 10:51 PM.

#4 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:56 PM

View PostKhobai, on 08 December 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

NOBODY LIKES JAMMING PGI. GET RID OF JAMMING ON UACS TOO WHILE YOURE AT IT.

no

#5 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

View Postlazorbeamz, on 08 December 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

no

you know because it's awesome to push the front and have 34 tons of weapons jam simultaneously. So awesome.

#6 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:19 PM

It does not effect it. RACs use a rate of fire stat that isn't even listed. So it is a waste of skill points if RACs are your only weapon.

#7 Silas7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 130 posts
  • Location'Mechbay

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 08 December 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

It does not effect it. RACs use a rate of fire stat that isn't even listed. So it is a waste of skill points if RACs are your only weapon.

Which is why i suggest PGI change the weapons to make use of the skill and why Khobai suggests a new mechanic.

#8 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

They can just increase the effects on RAC nodes so that the increases compensate for the fact that you had to take useless notes before.

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:00 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 08 December 2017 - 11:10 PM, said:

you know because it's awesome to push the front and have 34 tons of weapons jam simultaneously. So awesome.

That mostly applies to UACs. RACs give you some level of warning when you're in danger of jamming via the jam bar.

Though really, the fact that you can still fire for several moments after filling the bar (depending on RNGesus luck) defeats the entire purpose of having a bar. The bar should be much longer than it is now, and in exchange you would jam up immediately upon filling the bar. That removes the luck element completely.

#10 Momolillo

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

So, nothing on this? Isn't PGI even considering this or what?

#11 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

Almost certainly aren't. And CD definitely helps your backup weapons, which you better have if you hope to run RACs, so they are hardly completely wasted nodes.

#12 Silas7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 130 posts
  • Location'Mechbay

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

View PostSeranov, on 03 January 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

Almost certainly aren't. And CD definitely helps your backup weapons, which you better have if you hope to run RACs, so they are hardly completely wasted nodes.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...420f47eaa66bad8

This is my Rac boat and with the right positioning i've done well pulling 500+ damage. I've toyed around a lot with trying to use the energy mounts for some back-ups but I couldn't make it work.

If i had to run with some form of back-ups I suggest this minor alteration:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...542ddd46c721cd4

Edited by Silas7, 03 January 2018 - 10:12 PM.

#13 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

RAC damage is like LRMs, MRMs and LBXes. It's mostly sandblasting damage and hardly ever is efficient. When there was the ballistics event a while back, I did a couple 900+ games with the RAC2s and 5s, but the vast majority of that was suppressive fire that kept folks twisting or in cover. And considering you're hugely constrained by heat and ammunition, bringing just RACs is a really bad idea.

That said, the Skill Tree is designed so that sometimes you have to take nodes you don't want to get the stuff you want. This is much the same.

#14 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

I've never understood why they don't just convert them to cooldown plus rate of fire so it would help the whole two weapons systems that would be relevant too.

Then again depending on where you're hunting avoiding all velocity nodes when you mostly have lasers can be a pain as well.

#15 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

They should add a RAC spread reduction skill.

#16 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

I see so many people complaining about removing UAC and RAC jamming. I can see it working for RACs but I just don't understand how these people expect to maintain balance. You realize that if we remove jamming then a UAC/20 will reliably output 40 damage every time it is fired, right? If there is no downside to UACs such as jamming then there is simply no reason to take any other kind of autocannon because a UAC would then reliably do twice the damage every single time it was fired. They might could stand to lower the jam chance considerably but removing it entirely doesn't seem wise.

EDIT: Plus I just read about UAC technology on sarna. It has several issues such as being less accurate, vibrating violently enough when fired at maximum fire rate to sometimes cause internal damage to the 'mech firing it, and also with sustained firing the magnetic mechanism could fuse, rendering the weapon useless until maintenence could be performed on the 'mech. Maybe they could make the double-tap shot on a UAC have spread or something. I guess that might be okay. I'd really rather not have a weapon on my 'mech that has a chance of causing damage to my internals if I fire it too much. And it looks like that according to lore, UACs did in fact jam, but once they did the 'mech could not clear the jam itself and the weapon was out of action for the rest of the combat once it jammed. Apparently these problems were such an issue that many mechwarriors refused to use such an unreliable weapon and as such the technology was never expanded in the Inner Sphere to other autocannon calibers due to lack of interest until the clans invaded.

Edited by Mole, 04 January 2018 - 12:06 PM.

#17 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

View PostSilas7, on 08 December 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

This is just a simple shoutout to PGI but you guys 'n gals should really make cooldown relevant for RACs or if they already are then the game needs to do a better job communicating the changes inside the mechlab. I just hate wasting skill nodes on CD trying to get my RAC ballistic boat all of the dedicated ballistic skills like UAC/RAC jam and Mag capacity.

well RACs dont really have a cooldown as they are ROF type weapons, much like MGs and Flamers,
as such Cooldown Nodes dont work on MGs or Flamers ether because they dont have a cooldown state,
Jam Degradation(UACs / RACs after jam) isnt cooldown, nether is Spoolup/Jam Bar Degradation(RAC)

#18 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:53 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 04 January 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

well RACs dont really have a cooldown as they are ROF type weapons, much like MGs and Flamers,
as such Cooldown Nodes dont work on MGs or Flamers ether because they dont have a cooldown state,
Jam Degradation(UACs / RACs after jam) isnt cooldown, nether is Spoolup/Jam Bar Degradation(RAC)

I think he is talking about the Cooldown nodes giving RACs, Flamers, and MGs a DPS buff equal to the percentage of the cooldown nodes you have.

#19 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

View PostAthom83, on 04 January 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

I think he is talking about the Cooldown nodes giving RACs, Flamers, and MGs a DPS buff equal to the percentage of the cooldown nodes you have.

i understand and agree, just giving the reason that was given when this was asked in town hall,
Question was why dont MGs benefit from Ballistic cooldown quirks, so i was just reiterating,

#20 valrond

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 319 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

View PostSmith Gibson, on 08 December 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

That would almost certainly cause the same runaway ghost heat problem that PGI had with flamers. It is simply beyond their ability to program.

Lower your expectations and remember what the definition of Minimally-Viable-Product is.

Well, MWO now is not an MVP. I was there during the summer of 2012. That was an MVP.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users