44 replies to this topic

#21 speedy mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:00 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 10 December 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

Hey, everyone. I enjoyed the read and such, then tried to do some lookups with Sarna. Can anyone point me to the appropriate page over there for the Sun Spider? Posted Image

~D. V. "Needing to ask for directions in Lore-ville..." Devnull

Doesn't exist yet as it is brand new made up PGI design

#22 blackcatf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAuldhouse, Skye Federation, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:58 AM

View PostJep Jorgensson, on 09 December 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

Three things jump out at me.

2. You need a Bloodname to advance past Star Captain, but yet the Star Colonel does not appear to have one.

I don't believe that to be true. It's uncommon, but I don't think it's a requirement anywhere.

#23 Zandel Corrin

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:49 AM

View Postspeedy mechanic, on 10 December 2017 - 03:00 AM, said:

Doesn't exist yet as it is brand new made up PGI design

It does now... of course the entire mech is Apocryphal so you know it doesn't have much. Why they went and made up a new mech instead of adding one that already existed (Like the Grizzly at the same weight class) is beyond me. I mean why do extra work when it's already been done for you? No wonder everything takes them so long.

#24 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:27 AM

Alt. Config. C1

Is this the first stock clan MISSILE ONLY "missile boat"?

Edited by xVLFBERHxT, 10 December 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#25 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:01 AM

THAT IS THE BIGGEST LOCUST I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!

#26 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

not apocraphal anymore, anything PGI makes is part of canon, per CGL now.

#27 Dekontoroga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 137 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

"Waaah, they made a Monster! Burn it! Kill it with fire! Dont let it spread out! Make Battletech great again! Oh noes they didnt include X Mech for me! Waaah" - Basic Comment here

On a more serious note, i enjoyed the Lore Part. It isnt a Mech i will buy because it doesnt hit me really in how it looks but i must admit that at least PGI tried something here. I mean come on, is it REALLY so hard to accept that PGI designs 1 (ONE!!!) Mech per Year for themselves? If you dont like it, then dont buy it. But some tend to bann everything that isnt from TT as if it would be some kind of antichrist that needs to be cut down from life support as soon as it is shown. Posted Image

#28 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

View PostDekontoroga, on 10 December 2017 - 09:12 AM, said:

"they made a Monster! Burn it! Kill it with fire! Dont let it spread out! bann everything that isnt from TT as if it would be some kind of antichrist that needs to be cut down from life support as soon as it is shown. Posted Image

FTFY

Edited by HammerMaster, 10 December 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#29 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

View Postblackcatf, on 10 December 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

I don't believe that to be true. It's uncommon, but I don't think it's a requirement anywhere.

"Only Bloodnamed warriors can become Star Colonels and a Clan usually has fewer than a dozen at any one time." -Sarna.net

#30 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:11 AM

As far as I understand about the lore of this mech, the Sun Spider was made by Clan Goliath Scorpion for their own Omnimech design after constantly getting slapped around by Clan Coyote. So the leader of Scorpion Scientist Caste, tried to guilt trip the Widowmaker-turned Wolf scientists into giving them access to Omnimech Technology. The Mech was flawed and because of the shame of not going through a trial, it was buried and forgotten until the start of the Clan Invasion.

To be honest, I don't really see the shame of guilt-tripping the origins of a former clan. The way how I see it, it's justification for the death of the Scorpion's founding Khan, Cyrus Elam during the Widowmaker Absorption. It's like telling the former Widowmaker scientists, "Yeah we know you are Wolves now, but you killed our first Khan, so yeah, you owe us." Even the Scorpions traded with the Wolves to avoid trials for the Elemental Battle Armor since they were the precursors of that armor.

As for the name Sun Spider, considering how Roche is a desert world and both spiders and scorpions are arthropods, it makes sense. Although I would have gone with a name of a scorpion species, like the Deathstalker or Yellowtail to make it more like a Goliath Scorpion totem mech.

Despite those gripes, I still like it.

#31 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 09 December 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

Next OP Clan mech to match the latest number of doa IS-mechs....clearly no buy

What do you think will make the Sun Spider OP?

#32 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostJep Jorgensson, on 09 December 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

Three things jump out at me.

1. The mech described in the "Lore" here has the prime loadout despite supposedly being the hero mech.

2. You need a Bloodname to advance past Star Captain, but yet the Star Colonel does not appear to have one.

3. It looks like an overgrown Locust. Originality must truly be dead.

My thoughts exactly when reading the lore. Not that I don't greatly appreciate all fluff as it helps add depth and purpose, but those are semi-glaring. Along with the green stormcrow lasers.

Aesthetically that it's all legs and CT like its clan brethren kinda blows, but I like the mandible looking parts on the STs, and think the other variants' arm pods will really lend credence to this thing looking more fleshed out. I think the concept is a bit misleading in that regard.

#33 Cypherdrene

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCabo

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

If you look at the blueprint, it looks like a Cataphract with long legs and stubby arms.

#34 TiguriusX

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:51 PM

Can you please have someone edit the lore.

"the prototype he proudly named Sun Spider was severally flawed" (emphasis added).

Severely...the word is SEVERELY.

Edited by TiguriusX, 10 December 2017 - 03:52 PM.

#35 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

Literally hundreds of machines to draw from that won't incur you another lawsuit and you pull one out of your butts instead. Yup, frustrating.

#36 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:03 PM

I think by this time Piranha Games have earned the right to roll out new mechs, hell they can call it Russ' Bullocks for all I care, every single publisher that has worked on BT has added to it, so why should they be exempt from that. I personally do not really like this mech, same with the Roughneck, but that is purely for hardpoints, but I may still change my mind.
What would have made my day though, if this was the first IS Omni instead. Then it would be an instabuy from my end.
@PGI, thanks for adding to the lore, I for one appreciate it. (The moment people stop contributing to the lore it dies ye darn troglodytes)

#37 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:57 PM

View PostJep Jorgensson, on 10 December 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

"Only Bloodnamed warriors can become Star Colonels and a Clan usually has fewer than a dozen at any one time." -Sarna.net

True, the highest ranking warrior without a bloodname that I remember from lore was Star Captain Johanna, and she even killed Natasha Kerensky!

View PostZortPointNarf, on 10 December 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

I think by this time Piranha Games have earned the right to roll out new mechs, hell they can call it Russ' Bullocks for all I care, every single publisher that has worked on BT has added to it, so why should they be exempt from that. I personally do not really like this mech, same with the Roughneck, but that is purely for hardpoints, but I may still change my mind.
What would have made my day though, if this was the first IS Omni instead. Then it would be an instabuy from my end.
@PGI, thanks for adding to the lore, I for one appreciate it. (The moment people stop contributing to the lore it dies ye darn troglodytes)

The Mech is already retconned and canon, especially if the Catalyst guys wrote the lore piece.

View PostSennin, on 10 December 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

Literally hundreds of machines to draw from that won't incur you another lawsuit and you pull one out of your butts instead. Yup, frustrating.

It seems like the homegrown Mech is going to be a Mech Con tradition.

#38 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:04 AM

the mech looks way too much like a light mech instead of a 70t mech.

#39 Wanderer of the Mists

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts
  • LocationAlabama UAS

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:32 AM

lol so much salt because someones mech is not being added. this mech looks cool like the roughneck dose but hate for it because its not "my mech" let them do there thing they will add other mechs as the can keep asking for them and they will personally they should have a forum topic for suggestions and do a poll for one mech a year to be added that the fans want.

#40 Axex

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationInterned on Yorii

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

Interesting.

Haters gona hate.
Although I doubt they will turn away from the free Hero.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users