150 replies to this topic

#21 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 09 December 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

Every other Mech which includes another Mech's name in its name is clearly a derivitave or evolution of that design, but the Sun Spider has nothing to do with the Spider

READ. MORE. LORE.

Fire Scorpion has nothing to do with the regular Scorpion beyond being a quad design.

Timber Wolf has nothing to do with the Wolfhound, Tundra Wolf, Night Wolf, or WarWolf.

Shadow Hawk has nothing to do with the Jade Hawk. Likewise, it has nothing to do with the Shadow Cat.

GyrFalcon has nothing to do with the Fire Falcon, and the Fire Falcon has nothing to do with the Fire Starter or Fire Scorpion.

There are quite a few mechs who have part of another 'mechs name in their name, or some name-based relation, but stop at that similarity. If you want a damn Spider Successor, beg for the canon one, the Venom, instead of finding this stupid excuse.

Edited by Catten Hart, 09 December 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#22 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

Oh come on, we already have enough (Clan) heavy mechs already...

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:21 PM

By the size of the weapons, I thought this was like a Clan Locust.

Then I see 70 tons and had to do a double take... and it still looks tiny.

o.O;
Ah well.

Every other Mech which includes another Mech's name in its name is clearly a derivitave or evolution of that design, but the Sun Spider has nothing to do with the Spider

This couldn't be farther from the truth.

#24 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

That thing is all legs.

#25 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:29 PM

View PostLordLosh, on 09 December 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

BL()()] } A$P
Blood asp
Asp Blood

You misspelled "Firemoth"

The Sunspider looks decent PGI. I may actually buy a heavy mech package....
Reminds me of a giant Locust

Edited by Wolf Clearwater, 09 December 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#26 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 December 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

By the size of the weapons, I thought this was like a Clan Locust.

Then I see 70 tons and had to do a double take... and it still looks tiny.

o.O;
Ah well.

This couldn't be farther from the truth.

fair enough, I have edited my post.

View PostCatten Hart, on 09 December 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

READ. MORE. LORE.

Fire Scorpion has nothing to do with the regular Scorpion beyond being a quad design.

Timber Wolf has nothing to do with the Wolfhound, Tundra Wolf, Night Wolf, or WarWolf.

Shadow Hawk has nothing to do with the Jade Hawk. Likewise, it has nothing to do with the Shadow Cat.

GyrFalcon has nothing to do with the Fire Falcon, and the Fire Falcon has nothing to do with the Fire Starter or Fire Scorpion.

I said includes its name, not part of its name and I was not aware of Scorpian and Fire Scorpian.

I have read about 50 Battletech novels and most of Sarna but freely admit I do not know everything, so apoligies for my error

#27 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:30 PM

*Slow ironic clap*

Gz an other effin Clan mech with cockpit high hardpoints and speed just below 90kph if quirked...while beeing a chickenwalker with tiny torso....
Nice....

What I said...you can hope for any mech to be good .... as long as it is a Clan mech.

Every IS mech since resistance 2 was either destroyed by rescaling or mediocre at best (except the annihilator) most outright doa.

Clan got its best mechs since then.
And now you even just make stuff up that outright borders on op from start and is clan ????
What is your effin problem with the Inner Sphere?

#28 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:31 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 09 December 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

I have read about 50 Battletech novels and most of Sarna but freely admit I do not know everything, so apoligies for my error

Good. Next time do your research before you say something like that. Because if you truly did read that many books, you should not have made that mistake.

Edited by Catten Hart, 09 December 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#29 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

I wonder if it's the first omnimech with no lower arm actuators available? All I can remember have at least some pod with them.

#30 DontStandBehindMe

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:44 PM

Well, another month and another mechpack in the same old tired and completely unnecessary 3pack+addon+hero format. And yet again the best variant is in the add on pack. If I could buy the D for 7-8$ by itself it would be an instant buy, and if I could also get the hero even for $15 I probably would buy that one too...but I'm not spending $35 just to get 1 mech that interests me (or $50 for that 1 mech and the hero), specially when I don't need 3 of anything to skill it anymore. PGI could have gotten some money from me if I could buy what I am interested but instead they get nothing and I will wait for cbill release (which is likely safer these days anyhow than hope for the "dartboard" method of quirking to "bless" this mech).

Sorry to the folks who are really looking forward to this mech, I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, it does look fantastic as have the last few mechs...but I am just tired of this "pay to play early" model that has been obsolete for more than 5 months now!

#31 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

A Goliath Scorpion Mech...where is Will at?

View PostDontStandBehindMe, on 09 December 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

Well, another month and another mechpack in the same old tired and completely unnecessary 3pack+addon+hero format. And yet again the best variant is in the add on pack. If I could buy the D for 7-8$ by itself it would be an instant buy, and if I could also get the hero even for $15 I probably would buy that one too...but I'm not spending $35 just to get 1 mech that interests me (or $50 for that 1 mech and the hero), specially when I don't need 3 of anything to skill it anymore. PGI could have gotten some money from me if I could buy what I am interested but instead they get nothing and I will wait for cbill release (which is likely safer these days anyhow than hope for the "dartboard" method of quirking to "bless" this mech).

Sorry to the folks who are really looking forward to this mech, I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, it does look fantastic as have the last few mechs...but I am just tired of this "pay to play early" model that has been obsolete for more than 5 months now!

Well, then don't spend your money on a pre-order and keep playing the Mechs you have so you will have the C-Bills to buy this Mech when it comes out. I really don't understand the whining about some people being able to pay a premium to play a Mech a few months earlier, it really has to be jealousy (either because you can't afford it, or you can, but you can't rationalize spending that kind of money on it).

#32 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 09 December 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

*Slow ironic clap*

Gz an other effin Clan mech with cockpit high hardpoints and speed just below 90kph if quirked...while beeing a chickenwalker with tiny torso....
Nice....

What I said...you can hope for any mech to be good .... as long as it is a Clan mech.

Every IS mech since resistance 2 was either destroyed by rescaling or mediocre at best (except the annihilator) most outright doa.

Clan got its best mechs since then.
And now you even just make stuff up that outright borders on op from start and is clan ????
What is your effin problem with the Inner Sphere?

IS mechs are much better than the Clan mechs for the most part. They have clearly favored IS for some time....

#33 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

Sun spider? Where is the Crusader? Did someone get confused with everything going on at mechcon and the wrong mech was launched?

And I have to say it again, whats with the 3-packs yet again...we don't need to buy 3 of anything anymore and specially with an omni-mech that can be configured to alomst every possible combination of hard points (stock or not...and yeah I know once the mech releases for cbills to access all the pods...and you can only use the hero's pods if you own it, ect). Please PGI, let us buy the variants we want without having to buy one we dont want...its time your sales model "catches up" to your game!!!!!

#34 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:53 PM

So many [unhappy] in this thread

Edited by McValium, 11 December 2017 - 10:44 AM.
lets keep this civil

#35 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 09 December 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

Well, then don't spend your money on a pre-order and keep playing the Mechs you have so you will have the C-Bills to buy this Mech when it comes out. I really don't understand the whining about some people being able to pay a premium to play a Mech a few months earlier, it really has to be jealousy (either because you can't afford it, or you can, but you can't rationalize spending that kind of money on it).

If you read the post the guys isn't complaining about spending money or pre-ordering at all. He/she much like me are making PGI aware that the mechpack format is the issue...its dated and unnecessary and is in as much need of being updated as the skilltree was (even if our new skill tree isn't 100% perfect, the old one was very lacking). Its not about "paying", not for me anyhow...its about wanting to support the game but having to buy things I don't want/need to do so. And providing feedback that you may not like or agree with is not "whining"...but you complaining about people freely expressing their opinions in an open forum IS whining. People are entitled to their opinions and are allowed to express them in a polite, professional manner (as the person did)...but you don't have to like or agree with it

#36 Rascally Jack

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 36 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:20 PM

So according to the Lore background the Manul had Prime arms on it. Interesting

#37 StoneRhino

• PipPipPip
  • Go-cho
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

Its funny that people seem to have a problem with the mech. Yes, there are tons of other mechs that have yet to be introduced including the vast majority of TRO:3055 although we have many of the MW4 era mechs from later TROs in the game. Then we have someone who is angry that they thought the name Sun Spider meant that it was connected to the Spider. The only related mech would be the Venom, again TRO:3055, although there are other designs that reference arachnids such as the Tarantula and Stalking Spider that have nothing to do with the TRO:3025 Spider.

The mech seems pretty decent. The lack of jumpjets on all configurations seems to continue the clan's problem of disliking JJs until they got their clams handed to them by IS jumping mechs( TRO:3055 Pouncer fluff). It is far more attractive then the Thor on paper. A dual guass heavy is nice, especially since it has the tonnage for a decent amount of ammo unlike the Vulture C. The Prime, I'm assuming, with 4x SSRM6s is another similarity between the Sun Spider and the Vulture.

The Sun Spider seems more at home then the Roughneck. The Roughneck seemed as though it was out of the Dark Ages or even WoB Jihad era. I'm not even sure what timeline PGI is working off of since they skipped a lot of mechs, but the Sun Spider seems to work within their version of the BT time line.

#38 DontStandBehindMe

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:28 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 09 December 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

So tell me Mr. Whiteknight what great insight lead you to believe that I have financial issues or "mech envy" of any kind? Why do you feel the need to respond to a post directed at PGI? This game's development/progression is severely hampered by all the white knighting and yesmen (and women) who support everything PGI does blindly...its ok to be critical, its ok to have an option contrary to the status quote or to question if things could be better by changing something.

#39 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

It was so fun guessing what it was ! But it was looking like anything know and yep it was a new design. Little bit sad that he was not a 60 tons clan... We just have the vulture in that weight range.

We will see in game what he look like !

Edited by Damnedtroll, 09 December 2017 - 03:39 PM.

#40 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

I find the mech interesting and will probably end up buying it, but I really wish that they would have given us one of the clan medium omnis. It does make sense that it's a PGI original though since they did that last year.

Nice try PGI,

when I saw the name Sun Spider my first thaughts were "great a Clan Spider, must buy", but checking the specs and concept art that is not the case'
From the name I was guessing a light or medium class Clan Tech Spider, a Spider IIC if you will, but despite the name it bears no simularity to the IS Spider which is a shame.
not huminoid, no Jump Jets, not especialy fast, and looks to be reasionably well armed, definately has little to do with the "real" Spider.

Every other Mech I was aware of (I have been corrected, but I was still disapointed to find out it was not a Clan Spider)which includes another Mech's name in its name is clearly a derivitave or evolution of that design, but the Sun Spider has nothing to do with the Spider

Are you familiar with the Glass spider? It looks a lot more like an IS Rifleman, but its got a spider derivative name.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users