141 replies to this topic

#41 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:36 AM

I watched it on stream but I wish I had gone!

I think all the unnamed organizers and planners should be recognized and commended highly. It looked well put together, well planned out, exciting and smooth. The venue looked great and everyone seemed happy and excited to be there.

Daeron, Phil, Ben, Mike, Randal and everyone did a great job keeping the excitement and interest focused and well received. It was exciting to watch on stream so I know it was far more exciting in person.

The visiting personalities were great to see. Jordan and the Harebrain crew, Catalyst crew, George Ledoux, the Streamers, PGI devs, artists, and Tina. Everyone added to the excitement.

I hear what people are saying about Russ and I find it to be, sadly, the normal hate I see on this forum for anything Russ. Attacking is character, appearance, attitude or whatever is unwarranted. I can agree that he didn't engage audience or take advantage of his very important reveal to generate excitement. It did fall a little flat on enthusiasm and seemed less planned than the rest of the events. Nevertheless, he revealed very exciting upcoming content. Its a shame that it wasn't played up as the main event like it should have been.

If Mech_Con 2018 is as good or better than 2017, I will be going.

#42 mdmzero0

• WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:45 AM

View PostTordin, on 11 December 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

I dont know much to say right know, other than that I really hope you at PGI can give George Ledoux the job to make commentary for solaris, pre recorded lines ( like a whooole bunch of them) unless its some really big championship etc, then he could do commentary live. I think he would really LOVE that. He seems hopeful to contribute and be a part of S7, judging by his Twitter feed. Dont let that "ol'" man down, please Posted Image

Have had many good memories and cheer ups on dark days when I was playing MW4 and hearing Duncan Fisher commenting about things, before being abruptly cut off by some crazy action.

We've tried to get George to do some live commentary with us, but he has said that he wouldn't be very good at it- his commentary in MW4, etc., was scripted.

View PostMcGoat, on 11 December 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

So nothing to be said about the rest of the game (this one) other than solaris being implemented at some point next year and that you've pulled the MW5 mechbay over?

Zero news about the future of MWO. No roadmap. No expressed plans for future FP/CW development. Just.. Well not very much.
Thanks for the free stuff, I guess.

Solaris, new mechbay, new map, new mech. I guess our definition of "not very much" is different. About the only thing that isn't getting something new is CW/FP.

#43 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

“Do you have the HD version of MWOWC 17 games on Youtube yet?”

I will be receiving the HD footage from the AV Company This week looking the Tournament Rounds edited down and posted ASAP

“Can you post another vid of the interviews? I noticed mine got muted in the twitch VOD. Much appreciated.”

This May Take longer as the Tournament content will be Priority but I do want to distill the entire event down and get it online.

“Would you be able to provide a Battlegrid view of the layout of the upcoming city map?”

I don’t think we will be releasing any more materials on that map until next year the map has plenty of Production work still to be done!

“What about next patchnotes? When are they going to arrive?”
Today I think I just have to Check with Alex Garden.

“What about imposing a map rotation on the next championship?”
I will pass this along to the Tournament Planners.

“Please present the players and teams fighting in the finals on stage.”
We tried to do more of that this year! Will definitely fix for next year.

“You really need to do more for the stream in the 'downtime'”
I agree! But Wow, it is hard! Even the Audio and Video Guys need Food Breaks and Bathroom breaks! I do have some ideas for next year to improve this… Already in the planning phase.

“Curious about PGIs motivation for the christmas giveaway the 27th”
“The December 27th announcement is amazing to the point of being suspicious but ya'll have been generous all month and I know we really appreciate it. Thanks!”
Russ wanted to do something Epic for the Holidays! We looked around that time of year for when the most players were online and the 27th worked! We wanted to give something truly unique and from PGI so the new Roughneck Hero and a New Sun Spider Hero seemed the perfect solution!

“In particular, I thought Bandit, mdm, Daeron and Phil did outstanding jobs. Tina was good too once she got over her nervousness a bit. “
“Give the commentators a raise. They did a great job.”
Agreed! We are super appreciative of everything they do It’s not easy and 12 hours is a long day.

More to come....

#44 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:01 AM

Brian Eckman(sp) need to handle stage works again.

#45 BWS2K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:01 AM

View PostTannhauser Gate, on 11 December 2017 - 10:36 AM, said:

I hear what people are saying about Russ and I find it to be, sadly, the normal hate I see on this forum for anything Russ. Attacking is character, appearance, attitude or whatever is unwarranted.

I cannot speak to this anymore than to say that when the president of a company is making an annual appearance at the game he is leading into the future, he needs to make at least a token effort to look like he is at all in any way interested or committed to said game and its fans. Just re-watch the segment and try to find two consecutive seconds where Russ seemed other than casually disinterested and maybe a little sad but overall poorly informed and out of touch. Bring your wives? You guys slept on [the Roughneck]? I can't remember the names of people on my own team but I'm going to mention a handful anyway and then literally point out that I can't remember the other ones? Awkward. Last year he challenged the staff to get the Skill Tree system out early like he was using the opportunity to pre-shift blame or accusation. I don't know him personally and can't judge his character, of course, and pointed that out in my original post more than once. This is an important few minutes for not just him but all of us and it sends a very mixed message.

Many people loathe being on-stage. It comes with the territory but there's no shame in doing a bunch of pre-recorded voiceovers of footage to be played after a quick on-stage intro and then an outro. It worked well for Tina (and I'm sure her voice thanked her for it, lol). We'll understand. What we saw, and what almost two thousand people at home saw, was not very engaging. The content was alright but the delivery was lacking.

#46 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:03 AM

View Postmdmzero0, on 11 December 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

Solaris, new mechbay, new map, new mech. I guess our definition of "not very much" is different. About the only thing that isn't getting something new is CW/FP.

*Mechbay is a port from MW5, something they're already working on. Cool (it really is, but it's far from anything that will keep MW:O going)
*New map(s) is something that should be in constant development. This is actually needed and I will not applaud anyone for doing their jobs. Applause is reserved for going above the minimum.
*New mech.. Another one. Cool. Forgive me for being jaded in that regard.

That leaves Solaris; that isn't something that is going to extend the life of this game, if anything it may help to further split the population and drive folks further away. It's 1v1/2v2 with leader boards.. MWL did that in the mid 00's. The only thing going for Solaris is that they (PGI) don't have do do a whole lot once it's launched. No promises, no nothing. Unlike CW.

As been said since MC'16 - MW5 would pull most of the development from this game, and it's clear that it has. MW5 is literally funded off our mechpak purchases - I sincerely hope that it is worth it in the end.

This is far from a call proclaiming the end of times, just a few observations.

Edited by McGoat, 11 December 2017 - 11:05 AM.

#47 Guile Votoms

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

Posted Image

#48 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:50 AM

View PostJondoeiowa, on 11 December 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:

3. The tournament..... Ok this needs a total overhaul. It needs to be more like the game we play. Every match should be random map and mode, don't let them know in advance, they should have to be just as good on any map or mode. Allowing them to pick the map they played over and over and locked a strat down for is boring. Let's see the game we all buy mechpacks to support. Required random mode, and map to see how well they actually adapt. This is the game I have to deal with every time I click quick play, but they aren't playing it, they are playing some pre made farce.

Absolutely. What we saw wasn't MWO, it was scripted theater. Since mechs are locked before a QP drop's conditions are known, mechs should be locked before a tournament drop's conditions are known. Comp players are reputed to be very good at playing the game, but nobody would know that from watching the tournament.

#49 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

I just saw the full videos with sound.. and.. OMG..

DUNCAN FISHER IS BACK!

I can't believe you got the same guy! :D

#50 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

Yes to randomize Maps.

Or, possibly arrange the maps in order of a campaign of battles from remote communications all the way to taking a planetary city (e.g. MW4 Vengeance campaign).

1. Deep space communication center (HPG Manifold or Grim Plexus)
2. Remote off world outpost (Caustic Valley or Terra Therma)
3. First high value target needed to resupply the attack. (Mining Collective)
4. On world landing in a polar region (Polar Highlands or Frozen City)
5. Move into a forested region (Forest Colony or Emerald Taiga)
6. Bad lands, outskirts of settled region (Canyon Network or Tourmaline Desert)
7. Final battle in a main city. (River City or Crimson Strait)

#51 System Belmont the Mech Slayer

Rookie

• The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCanada sucka

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

MW5 vr support is a must!! And if their is no road map for the future are they thinking about doing mwo2 using the unreal 5 engine?
Could have used more interviews between matches, pay those casters to put in work

Edited by System Belmont the Mech Slayer, 11 December 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#52 Kell Aset

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

Watched most of the MechCon stream and well I'm glad to hear there will be co-op for MW5 and mod support, this may help the game a lot indeed, hope the enemy AI will be ok but I must say that I am also disappointed, no melee combat for MWO not even for MW5, no engine swap for MWO and completely nothing about Faction Play.

Quite disappointed with lack of Faction Play related info, we had this FP oriented roundtable long time ago, then silence and now we will get Solaris, personally I don't care at all about Solaris and I am kinda annoyed that you guys want to introduce it while Faction Play is still bland, flavourless and meh really, I heard something about faction specyfic mechs during this "Production update with Russ Bullock" quite a while ago hoping it will be exactly that, that we will see some mechs available in FP only to players from specific factions, that would add a little bit of flavour to some factions at least, but that was not it.

I'm sure there will be ppl quite against completely locking some mech X to faction Y for FP. You could always put a number of those faction specific mechs in your loot boxes(i know loot boxes in MWO soon will be changed to - open the box without any key for free and get all the items that are inside the box ), make them rare and call them salvaged I guess? so that people not only from faction X could get their hands on them at some point and use them in FP, could always make boxes tradable maybe (it is just an idea,).

I just would like factions to be a bit different, I'd like to see differences between clans, differences between houses, factions need to have something unique about them, there was something said about this during that faction play related roundtable from ages ago, smth about faction specific skills or traits? I would like to hear more about plans for FP and I would like to see some good updates and changes for it way before Solaris.

Anyway, I'm House Kurita loyalist and I completely don't care about my faction, nothing in MWO makes me care about my faction, It doesn't matter to me if my faction is losing or winning, there are no real (grand?) consequences.
----

Bolt-on system, nice thing, altho kinda shame that our decorations can get easily destroyed, I want some spikes everywhere on my mech tho, tons of spikes.

First person walkable mech hangar, it is a cool little thing sure but honestly it is a waste ot time, plz make more new maps and make them faster instead of that, because maps may keep me interested and playing and free roam hangar won't.

New solaris city map, from what little we could see it seems rather open, too open for a city map. Buildings seem very very tall and that makes mechs seem so small.

Dec 27th rewards - very nice of you, thank you, good thing especially for new players, perhaps add official announcement about this on steam too.

Edited by Kell Aset, 11 December 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#53 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

View PostMcGoat, on 11 December 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

*Mechbay is a port from MW5, something they're already working on.

Just to correct you.. Mechbay is a port from MWO to MW5, then from MW5 to MWO.. the same mechbay was originally in MWO in closed beta, but you could not walk around in it..

#54 Suspect

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

I didn't see an issue with Russ. Polished and professional is often fake and bogus. He was keeping it real. This looked like a really good time. I wish I could have been there.

#55 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:44 PM

Will we be able to customize our load outs of the mechs we want to play with in sollaris as per normal?
And will bolt on cosmetics be available outside of sollaris?

#56 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 11 December 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

I just saw the full videos with sound.. and.. OMG..

DUNCAN FISHER IS BACK!

I can't believe you got the same guy! Posted Image

George is very active. I follow him on Twitter.

#57 Mechrophilia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

I actually felt bad for Russ. You could clearly tell he hoped for more enthusiastic responses from the audience at times, even reshowing a clip for just that. The crowd was probably just tired and in the mood for a snack, like in the NAAFP episode of Family Guy.

If I were president of SSG, I would just give a one-paragraph message of thanks and announce the free Christmas gift, then turn the rest of the presentation over to ...a presenter. But that would be me.

Edited by Mechrophilia, 11 December 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#58 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:20 PM

Ok feedback... takes long breath.

Pros:
-Food
-Fun meet and greet
-Tons of stuff to keep yourself occupied
-Announcements

Cons:
-Getting into MechCon. I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. I wasn’t planning on getting shuffled outside for a good 30 min.
(Next year check everyone in early and get the wrist bands and lanyards. That way we can just walk in and only some need check in)
-Not enough seats when needed! When you wanted to eat or watch an announcement [john travolta meme]
-Areas labeled poorly / not used to full potential. (Was Q/A on twitch? Yeah there was a schedule but nothing ever got announced. At least I never heard it over the crowds.
-Merchandise (Shirts need more size options. I’m not small I never will be. Maybe take size orders ahead of time and we pick up at the event?)
-Drinks this year (Extremely limited, couldn’t even get a Long Island, I settled for Rum and coke. She poured Pepsi and didn’t even ask if that was because they didn’t have coke -_-)
-Sound was very poor barely could hear on stage sometimes.
-Organization of booths / lines was bad. (Give people a ticket number call or display the number, you had limited space)
-Announcements were good, the delivery however extremely poor. 10 second videos with text?

May edit later did this on my phone at the hotel still.

Edited by Imperius, 11 December 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#59 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 439 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

HOW about the mechbay engagement finally in, that looks good hope also usefull.

2v2 is nice.

I hope you will also improve information to (new)player on systems and so, now the tweaking is reduced allot.

salty:
new maps, oke, but it takes you long to make.
Solaris city seems like a normal industry map with some high spikes, that's not a city map.
And flaming pipes?

#60 Robert Bruce

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 9
  • Mercenary Rank 9
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:44 PM

View PostMortallyTransparentCupcake, on 11 December 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

So many filthy casuals, fanboys, and potatoes posting.

and a hater or 2...
but which one are you?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users