Solaris - So Much Effort On Something I Could Care Less About

69 replies to this topic

#1 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

Of all the things PGI could have invested time and money into, they chose Solaris <sigh>.

So what is your take on Solaris? Are you excited? Does it sound cool? Or are you like me and feeling like its a game mode you will never play?

#2 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

I'm not super excited, but I know that there are a number of people that are. I also know, for a fact even, that your exact reaction to Solaris is the exact same reaction I have every time they say anything about Faction Warfare. So let's both calm down a little and realize that our own opinions aren't the only ones that matter.

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

When first announced, I was like you - Couldn't have cared less about a mode that seemed as dumb as possible.

The presentation they gave, though vague, has given me a smidge of hope on it though. Certainly nothing I'm going to spend hours of time in, but it looks like something interesting enough to drop into once or twice a week just to mix things up.

The development time probably could have been spent wiser, but oh well.

#4 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

Played a few pre season matches on mrbc and was utterly crushed on 1v1. :(

Couldn't be more excited though. :) At least there's no one else to blame in a 1v1.

1v1 would probably let you run through quick matches when you have that little bit of time.

Might even be easier to grind as well.

#5 Composite Armour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:20 PM

A mode where I don't have to worry about "teammates" and might even face players who will force me to actually get good?

Where do I sign?

Only thing I'm worried about is PGI's idea of what mechs are good/bad.

#6 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

1 v 1 will void of players in a few weeks.

It's way more meta driven, very little variety and bad players in bad builds will lose 95% of the time as opposed to 55-60%.

#7 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

View PostSeranov, on 11 December 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

So let's both calm down a little and realize that our own opinions aren't the only ones that matter.

I like this guy. Don't be a jerk, be like Seranov.

You are too good for these forums, I hope you know that.

#8 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:38 PM

Id be okay with solaris if it had FFA and team FFA

but 1v1 and 2v2 just doesnt interest me. And its a mistake IMO.

1v1 = boring

2v2 = still boring

FFA (8 player) = awesome

Team FFA (2v2v2v2) = still awesome

Solaris should be a new gamemode thats fun for everyone regardless of skill level. Not just a epeen measuring contest. We already have that with comp mode...

Edited by Khobai, 11 December 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#9 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

I'm a no for Solaris. Average players will have no place there; other than being points for farming players.... No thanks. An entier new team quit MWO because of Solaris; because, anything "team oriented" will be gone once it drops. There was no point in being here without teams.

I'm betting the the e-Sports side will all be Solaris and teams will have no venue... HBS BT is the lore and team venue now I think and MWO is the FPS Arena for stompy robots only and large egos.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,743 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostKhobai, on 11 December 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

Id be okay with solaris if it had FFA and team FFA

but 1v1 and 2v2 just doesnt interest me. And its a mistake IMO.

1v1 = boring

2v2 = still boring

FFA = awesome

Team FFA = still awesome

And for many who were wanting Solaris, FFA is what many were wanting... The 1vs1 and 2vs2 is simply PGI attempt to add another Esport segment to the game /shudders... Will there be bars, ie sectioned chat lobbies? This throw everyone in the grind and let the MM-something separate them out is for the vultures...

Now, what do they have setup to remove loopholes.. players creating alt accounts to fight against....

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 11 December 2017 - 05:47 PM.

#11 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 543 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:46 PM

Prior to the announcement I was very much indifferent or maybe even on the side of not caring. Now that it's been announced I'm a bit more excited about it. I gotta at least try it before I bash it. I'm looking forward to trying some 1v1 light fights.

#12 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:51 PM

2v2 is where it could get long term traction. I didn't play it a ton but had some very enjoyable games in the Wingman mode in Gears of War (Annex and Execution were my more my thing). Solo is kinda hamstrung in the long run without the added chaos of FFA. 1v1 will be more about the loadout and damage output rather than any tactics used to win. That makes it kinda boring to watch and participate in, from my personal POV.

#13 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

Team FFA 2v2v2v2 is where it would gain traction

because then you have to be total badasses to consistently win

especially since the best team would get ganged up on to take them out quickly (FFA has anti epeen built right in)

but PGI doing it wrong as usual

Edited by Khobai, 11 December 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#14 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

I fully expect them to deliver on the 5 arenas, but i have extremely low expectations for Ishiyama.

For the record: Ishiyama is pretty much fighting in tunnels under a mountain with blind sensors. The layout of the map is unknown (at least from a lore standpoint, but we know how that goes don't we?). Also, there are RNG obstacles that can occur (taken from sarna: 'Each section of the mountain is controlled by at least one level boss, who can throw up any number of obstacles in the MechWarrior's path: secret passages and pitfalls might suddenly open up, pitched darkness can be replaced by blinding light, hidden land mines activated and ambient temperature changed'.)

So in essence Ishiyama takes the feelings of your most hated maps/game modes and puts in RNG to an actually good (sounding) arena. Here's where my expecations fall short, PGI will not include any of these factors that actually makes this arena a challenge thereby removing some of the fun factor in Solaris. So as of right now, it's not that i'm not looking forward to trying out Solaris... i'm just not thrilled about it either knowing how previous projects were delivered (Community Warfare now FP).

#15 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

I'm looking forward to Solaris. I'd love a FFA mode, but I believe there are limitations with how the game is currently coded that make that unlikely to ever happed. I find 1v1s fun and they really put a focus on how good your piloting is. You can't afford to makes mistakes in a 1v1.

Also as a bonus, now all those good player who complain about getting stuck on bad teams all the time can finally show us how good they are.

#16 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

I fully expect them to deliver on the 5 arenas, but i have extremely low expectations for Ishiyama.

I have low expectations for the entire next year :P

#17 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

The only thing I'm looking forward with the new mode is the first person floor camera. I've always been interested in mech scaling so seeing a massive mech from the ground up would be pretty neat for me.

As for Solaris, I think it's going to suffer as similar to the duel game mode like in For Honor. Meaning that only the best meta builds and egowarriors are going to lurk there and ruin the experience for many people. It's hard to get enthused for something that is supposed to be competitive in a game that is severely unbalanced.

#18 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:08 PM

I voted no for Solaris a long time ago. Started a poll and everything. Pretty sure people we not in favor of it, but here it is.

For those who wanted it. Hope you enjoy it! If it had a horde mode I could tolerate it. One thing it will be is a toxic pool that I will avoid.

#19 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

"Could care less" means that you do in fact care about it.

#20 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

i dont see how a horde mode would work unless they added like protomechs.

because even locusts will wreck you in large quantities

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users