41 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:47 AM

Solaris is coming but as of now it's only 1v1 & 2v2.

Free for all is a big part of Solaris as anyone that knows the lore or have played MW4 mercs can attest. However some questions arise from this.

- How many players should be in a FFA match?
- How many players per team?

Make sure to vote here: https://mwomercs.com...l/#entry5971956

#2 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:06 AM

It’s not a choice on your vote. I’d actually prefer FFA in quick play. Not tied to the Solaris implementation that was shown. Very easy for people to collude to take down a player, which could effect their standing. More of A “too many heavies in the QP queue”, using FFA as a release valve instead of putting a 7+ K/D ratio player in a game against two .5 K/D players.

Edit: Also behind the 4v4 idea if so many are opposed to FFA.

Edited by KodiakGW, 12 December 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#3 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:10 AM

Visions of X amount of mechs cowering around the outer rim of the map, refusing to engage anyone because they're 'saving armor while everyone ELSE kills each other' are dancing through my head.

Just... no. FFA isn't worth it.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:40 AM

View PostBombast, on 12 December 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

Visions of X amount of mechs cowering around the outer rim of the map, refusing to engage anyone because they're 'saving armor while everyone ELSE kills each other' are dancing through my head.

Depends on the map size and type. The mode is feasible.

#5 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:41 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 12 December 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

Depends on the map size and type. The mode is feasible.

It could be 50x50m and people would find a way to play passively and hide.

#6 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:48 AM

I dont want FFA but a 4v4 mode would be great.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:52 AM

View PostBombast, on 12 December 2017 - 06:41 AM, said:

It could be 50x50m and people would find a way to play passively and hide.

That's fine. That's what FFA is about. Time your shots but be conservative on heat and ammo. Survival skill should be appreciated. Just like Overwatch, reward top half of the players, instead of just one.

Edited by El Bandito, 12 December 2017 - 06:54 AM.

#8 Alexandra Hekmatyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal
  • Marshal
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:00 AM

First I was, yeah sounds fun, why not but then you had to ruin it with reality.

Posted Image

This literally happens in like every quick play or faction play unless you shoot those cowards in the back to motivate them to move forward. :P

#9 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:31 AM

according to lore? no it isn't.

in any event it will be the mode where all the lrms will flock to, only to realize that they have no one to get locks for them...

#10 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:00 AM

It's inevitable.... 1x1, 2x2 and any other combination lower than 8x8 is a nightmare for average players... We get farmed and clubbed enough and a vast majority of new players leave.....

PGI needs to crack that riddle.... How to be profitable in an arena FPS and not drive away everybody new? FFA is a method to appease the average players and YES, we see the "Hide and Evade" everyday in every match.... I played Solaris in the earlier games and hiding and shooting at sharp angles was a good tool to survive the type A nut cases and then, form coalitions to kill off the remaining Type A's and then, fight it out..... Who know what PGI will do. What I do know is that FFA is an option to keep the average players in MWO, at least, for a little bit longer time because 1x1/2x2 is just noob/potato farming.........

#11 Liam Wolf

• PipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:04 AM

FFA would just be a pain and not fun for me.

#12 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

Surely we can come up with a way to make it work. What if surviving isn't how you win? If getting involved matters, then those guys who don't get involved aren't going to do so well, even if they're the last man standing.

I think it was Khobai? who suggested a multi-part FFA. Here's a quick take on that concept: 8 man FFA, then a 2 man 1v1 between the last guy standing and the top scoring dead dude.

Edited by Kanil, 12 December 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#13 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:17 AM

FFA ?
Only feasible with 32 vs. 32 minimum size .

That "... for all" somehow suggests that there is more than just 1v1 or 2v2 deathmatch going on, y´know .

#14 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

Which is why map design for Solaris is even more important.

Beyond that, Solaris should be about survival, and thus every trick on the books should be a valid tactic -- underhanded or otherwise.

Edited by Mystere, 12 December 2017 - 08:29 AM.

#15 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:32 AM

View PostLady Alexandra Cousland, on 12 December 2017 - 07:00 AM, said:

First I was, yeah sounds fun, why not but then you had to ruin it with reality.

Posted Image

This literally happens in like every quick play or faction play unless you shoot those cowards in the back to motivate them to move forward. Posted Image

Well, PGI could always get inspiration from Playerunknown's Battlegrounds Erangel map on how to deal with such folks.

#16 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

FFA should be 8 mechs

Team FFA should be 2v2v2v2

Very easy for people to collude to take down a player, which could effect their standing

thats what makes FFA better

better players arnt guaranteed to always win like in 1v1, you wont have the same players always winning 90% of the time

FFA has anti-epeen built into it

I think it was Khobai? who suggested a multi-part FFA. Here's a quick take on that concept: 8 man FFA, then a 2 man 1v1 between the last guy standing and the top scoring dead dude.

yep you could have each solaris match consist of three rounds, with the top half advancing to the next round, and eventually ending in a 1v1

the three rounds would be:

8 man FFA -> 4 man FFA -> 1v1

or 2v2v2v2 TFFA -> 2v2 -> 1v1 (each 2v2 team picks one player to represent in 1v1)

players who are better should still consistently get into the later rounds more often resulting in a higher ranking.

if the maps are designed properly, there wouldnt be anywhere to cower

besides not all solaris matches were deathmatch. some had other objectives.

if skirmish is all PGI can come up with for solaris, thats boring...

Edited by Khobai, 12 December 2017 - 09:07 AM.

#17 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

View PostKing Alen, on 12 December 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

I dont want FFA but a 4v4 mode would be great.

Not to be harsh but please, heard enough of that. Even in other games regarding that issue about " F ffa, its all about teamwork, noone should be alone!, Taboo"
We got Scouting and Private matches for that 4 x 4.
It does seem FFA are almost gone from games, which is terrifying. I always went to FFA modes in games ( like Halo) when I was sick and tired working with others. Instead of letting my grumpy attitude ruin it for other players in my team and I still wanted to play online, well FFA was the cure. Fail and win all by yourself. Noone else but YOU to blame if you suck, also to test your mettle.
MP game with Team modes only, just to be more casual and social. Because thats the hype, right? Yes I know its a TEAM game, but its also a MULTIPLAYER game, so letting one poor game mode have FFA, is that so much to ask for??? Its also for varitys sake.

But enough of my rambling.

Instead of 2 vs 2, have at least 12 players FFA. Preferrably 16 players FFA. So you can have max 4 x mechs per weight class.

I want FFA, chaos, mayhem of metal grinding proportions. Be a survivor, only yourself to rely on. Survival of the fittest. Also homage to MW4 FFA with some temporarly and shady possibilities of a random ally helping out until you two are the last ones standing.

YES to FFA.

So soon there will be no game giving you a chance to prove yourself alone to use every trick to survive against all others.

Edited by Tordin, 12 December 2017 - 09:05 AM.

#18 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:08 AM

Let me predict the future, youll have some stealth light hiding until theres only beaten guy standing where theyll simply roll up and finish him off...

Besides ofc ks fiesta...

Edited by davoodoo, 12 December 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#19 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:12 AM

Let me predict the future, youll have some stealth light hiding until theres only beaten guy standing where theyll simply roll up and finish him off...

stealth doesnt make you invisible. they can still SEE you.

if you need a red box around enemy mechs to shoot them you dont belong in solaris in the first place

and that can be solved simply by making it so being the last guy standing in FFA isnt necessarily enough to qualify you to advance. only the top four players would advance to the next round. but just cowering until the very end and killing the last mech might not be enough to qualify you into the top four.

thats the whole reason why I said if theres FFA it should be done as part of a three round matchset. because it helps prevent non-participation by making sure only the top 4 players advance. Which is going to be the 4 players that did the most, not the player that hid all game and swooped in for the last kill. Yes being the last man standing should give you a bonus, but not a big enough one to guarantee you advancement.

Wow, its almost like Khobai thought this out before suggesting it or something.

Edited by Khobai, 12 December 2017 - 09:20 AM.

#20 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 12 December 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

Besides ofc ks fiesta...

In an N-player FFA, what's the point of up to N-2 kill steals when you end up dead anyway in the end?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users