New Consumable Idea - Deployable Cover

9 replies to this topic

#1 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

So, have you ever turned the corner looking for the enemy, only to see the entire enemy team lined up in front of you? oops. Dead

Have you ever been on polar highlands, praying you can find some cover from the LRMs somehwere, just so the pain will stop? Dead

Mechwarriors - I give you.....Deployable Cover!
This is a consumable just like strikes, cool shot, and UAVs.
At the press of a button - a destroyable wall (similar to incursion walls) will go up in front of your mech. They have a certain HP amount and will shield fire from that direction while it holds. After a while, it will despawn if not destroyed.

Now you have time to waddle your *** back to cover if you make a big positioning mistake...or give you a break from constant LRM rain. Since it is a consumable, there is a cost associated with having to use it.

The only downside is that the possibility exists to accidentally block teammates ...but that would take some real potato work if your team mate is in front of you and you use it anyways. I would rather be blocked by cover I can get around than be striked by a team mate.

#2 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

You have activated my trap card! DEPLOYABLE SHIELD!

Posted Image

#3 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

If I drop with a 10 man and we see a lurm atlas or supernova on our team, would it be acceptable for us to surround them and block them in with walls at the spawn to avoid inevitably being lurmed in the back later?

#4 Bilbo999

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

Except in either case you deserve to die the horrible death you are dying, and I say this as someone who experiences these deaths on a far too regular basis.

#5 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostBilbo999, on 12 December 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Except in either case you deserve to die the horrible death you are dying, and I say this as someone who experiences these deaths on a far too regular basis.

I don't disagree that you should be punished for a mistake like that, but death is just too unfun IMO
Taking a consumable slot and paying 40k cbills seems like a suitable tradeoff

#6 Bilbo999

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

View PostGristle Missile, on 12 December 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

I don't disagree that you should be punished for a mistake like that, but death is just too unfun IMO
Taking a consumable slot and paying 40k cbills seems like a suitable tradeoff

Except that it would take entirely too many skill maze slots to take. God knows, they would hide it behind something worthless.

#7 Iain Sumner

• PipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:10 PM

We have Assault Mechs in MWO...they don't even cost 40k CBills and usually are deployed in a full lance.

#8 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

I don't particularly like this idea. I do, however, still think my fake red smoke idea is fantastic.

View PostN0ni, on 12 December 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

You have activated my trap card!

Posted Image

#9 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:15 PM

No. There were several lists of consumable suggestions. SMOKE (IR/Therma) blocking.

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:48 PM

Some defensive consumables rather than only offensive based ones could be nice. Just mark an area with green smoke and have a cargo helicopter fly over the location and drop down a wall or something.

Only issue is that unless the cargo helicopter is practically a dropship the wall it drops isn't going to cover your knee caps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users