26 replies to this topic

#21 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

I have run nothing but XL engines in them, because everything hits your CT - I had thought that the LT would have been a magnet for incoming shells, but turns out the quirked armor saves it, or it just isn't getting hit. I don't know how many times my CT gets orange and my ECM gets destroyed - oh yeah, and that bay door delay screws me (even TK'd a guy with a RL20 - amusing, but I felt bad).

I have been using the X270 mostly, I do like XL320 if I don't try to LRM. I was somewhat successful with dual ALRM10, but the numbers weren't exciting. MRM's really help, and if you can protect your RA, having a high-up mounted MRM20 lets you peek and spew safely.

edit: it's not exactly right for everyone, but damn if I don't have fun with stealth armor - i've played dead more times than I care to admit...

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9f8fc610b0b9399[/smurfy] - I had good luck going down to a ALRM10 and upping the RL10 to an ASRM4.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 16 December 2017 - 08:13 PM.

#22 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 16 December 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Really, though, despite the 'Mech being billed as a LRM platform, the Hellspawn isn't ideal for it because PGI didn't specialize it for the purpose. So, the 8E would be the best Hellspawn for LRMing, since it is the only one with velocity quirks..etc.

It kind of figures that the 8P which is clearly the main missile variant (5 missile hp) doesn't have those missile quirks.

View PostRiller Nath, on 16 December 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

I agree that mediums can make awesome lrm platforms, the hellspawn is unfortunatly not one of them. Not enough tonage for the tubes needed to get the missles home and enough ammo to do good damage. I figure that whenever you launch you should count on at least a quarter of the.missles missing. And if your firing into ams your gonna lose alot more potential damage. Note I am not talking about pelting an isolated fatty. I am talking about fire support from just behind the point of contact into the scrum. To make the lrms effective you have to shoot alot which is.tube count. You also have to do it for the whole battle which is ammo. The hellspawn cant carry enough tubes and ammo to make it worthwhile for me. If you have a functional lrm build that wont run dry after the first contact with the enemy I would love to see it. The griffen works cause it can lob lrms all day and quickly reposition. The hellspawn has the speed but I am having trouble getting enough ammo on the dang thing to last a battle.

Part of the problem with your observations of the hell spawn operating as a missile boat is that you should ALWAYS anticipate 50% of your missiles not hitting/missing. This is not particular to the Hellspawn, Tube count does not offset this, but range, velocity, cooldown, Heat reduction, Missile ammo, and missile damage skills can offset it immensely which is why you need to look at the FP tree first for skills. I do also recommend the 8E which has quirks that help or the 8E if you want raw missile hardpoints and a blank slate on missile quirks.

#23 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:54 PM

Hm. On further reflection, I think I probably will end up getting the reinforcements. I spent a little smurfy time messing with them and came up with a couple fun-looking but totally blasphemous things that the other variants wouldn't be as good for.

HSN-8P- With that hardpoint layout, why not try something completely batshit? This gives you three solid punches of 20 PPFLD plus 40 scatter (2xSNPPC+2xRL10, 2xSNPPC+2xRL10, then finally 2xSNPPC+1xRL20), while running cool enough to keep the SNPPCs going after the FALCON PAAAWNCHes are gone. Slight engine upgrade over stock, since I have a spare XL280 kicking around.

HSN-7P- I didn't like the Paralyzer for vomit, but the 7P has three torso energy, so it can do triple large, and in a pretty tight cluster. The 2xM in the LT makes a good place for an emergency splat, too. Token ERML for UAV-popping, because I like having at least one weapon to use for that if my 'Mech has any arm Es at all.

#24 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:03 PM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 16 December 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

HSN-8P- With that hardpoint layout, why not try something completely batshit? This gives you three solid punches of 20 PPFLD plus 40 scatter (2xSNPPC+2xRL10, 2xSNPPC+2xRL10, then finally 2xSNPPC+1xRL20), while running cool enough to keep the SNPPCs going after the FALCON PAAAWNCHes are gone. Slight engine upgrade over stock, since I have a spare XL280 kicking around.

Not gonna lie, that 8P looks like a ‘blast’.

#25 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 16 December 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

Not gonna lie, that 8P looks like a ‘blast’.

quirks be damned it is a blast....but only if you dont give a f*** about normal medium mech operations.

....................the box? is that french?! Never heard of it...can't pronounce it!

#26 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:55 PM

After running a few more matches, I'm absolutely dead set against attempting any more long-burn laser builds on the Hellspawn. That nose is just too easily focused. MRMs work despite the long burst because they shake and blind the target, but I just fell apart every time I attempted to use ERLLs as a main damage dealer except for one game where I was very, very lucky and got ignored the whole round. Didn't work on the Paralyzer, didn't work on the 7P.

So, new build for the 7P, but dunno what yet. I'm thinking MPLs and SRMs with some flamers for trolololz. Maybe triple LPL with all of the laser duration nodes. I want that energy cluster to be good for something.

That SNPPC+RL HSN-8P build? I played two games in it and knocked off the challenge. One with just a single solo kill and ~400 damage... the second with four kills and ~800 damage. Guess which one was the loss. Go figure. Carry harder, Hellspawn. I think I'm keeping that one. It was stupidly entertaining and actually kinda not bad despite being a total screwball build.

Also, some stealth armor experiments on the non-special HSN-7D and the HSN-8E, because why not. My last 8E build just wasn't performing. I tried the 8E with LRMs, but, to nobody's surprise, they were hilariously ineffective even with the velocity quirks and Artemis. Nuts to that. Better to run it as a quick striker.

This might just be my new favorite medium, and I totally didn't expect it to be.

#27 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

So I finished my 91 nodes on the HSN-7D(S) with the following build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...99196d613c525f2

Perfect? Hells no. Really not as effective or efficient as I'd like it to be, but I think that more my own playstyle forcing the chassis to do something it wasn't meant to do. In regards to Mediums, I'm more comfortable in something like a Hunchback, Bushwacker or Centurion. With the HSN I find myself starting a match as the unseen harasser and before I know it I'm trying to chew the ankles off an enemy Assault with the other fast movers lol. Sadly... the HSN is still far easier to hit then the locust.
Its cool.
Now I can move on to the Paralyzer:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ba09a7f3e0cd30c

The LPPC is just for screwing with folks. People will duck back behind cover just as fast with a LPPC hit than a HPPC or ERPPC since they cant tell the difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users