- - - - -

Curious

5 replies to this topic

#1 Titan Zero

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:03 PM

I saw a topic eralier today would post there but can't seem to find it. It was titled protons build concerning the 5th dragon.

It was said there is an exploit used in this build. Where you clip the gun arm through the chassis. Is this correct?

If that is correct why wasn't he disqualified from the WC for cheating ?

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:30 AM

View PostTitan Zero, on 15 December 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

I saw a topic eralier today would post there but can't seem to find it. It was titled protons build concerning the 5th dragon.

It was said there is an exploit used in this build.. Is this correct?

the post was probably deleted, discussing exploits is forbidden but using one is not technicly cheeting, what you are supposed to do on discovering an exploit is report it to PGI then stop using it.

also as posts discusing exploits are against the code of conduct I would recomend removing any referance to what the exploit was from your post

If PGI decide to be strict it is possible he could be disqualified from partisipating in future world championships but to disqualify him from this years world championship now would realisticly require rerunning it which would not be viable

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:06 AM

It was said there is an exploit used in this build. Where you clip the gun arm through the chassis. Is this correct?

The glitch has been in the game since beta and PGI has never fixed it, so as far as people know its "working as intended" as PGI have never given a statement on it or attempted to fix it.

Also, here is the thread, it was not deleted, it simply fell down the forum because it wasn't active:
https://mwomercs.com...rtns-dragon-5n/

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:25 AM

It's been a long time since I've been able to do the arm over shield technique because of a similar issue where technically the Centurion's arm would clip through the shield.

Clipping the arm through the body is not as lucrative as it sounds because it's a small fraction of the bulky thing is actually so minor that I don't even understand the point. I mean the ability to hide about 10% of the arm is pretty pointless because all the other guy has to do is SHOOT THE SHOULDER! Even if you could hide say 75% of the arm, they can still shoot the shoulder.

Posted Image
(The angle shown in the small picture-in-picture is the angle you would be using while using this "arm clip" technique... Literally just have half a brain and shoot the damn side torso/shoulder on the far side, it isn't hard and here's a similarly "difficult" shot done with ease, in slow motion for your convenience. If anything, I'm certain that the one I have in the video is more difficult.).
(Note: The image and caption have been inserted after the edit.)

Or even simpler, shoot the side torso as that would automatically neuter you anyway. Also when defending yourself by such a contrived method, there's an additional issue that either you have to fight while the arm is shoved into the side torso, meaning very awkward angle and very restrictive as well as making driving difficult.. or you're doing this to protect yourself and without forcing that awkward angle to shoot from you're simply unable to fire back.

Its stupid, its contrived, and it isn't very effective without pumping a **** load of armor onto the "dead side" for maximum effectiveness.

All in all, this exploit is relatively pointless. Rather than clipping the arm into the side torso the smarter thing to do is twist the dead side forward, jerk the arms in the opposite direction and rather than relying on a partially protected arm you have hidden the entire arm (and that side torso) away from the enemy. Press C and dispense justice and repeat as necessary.

Ultimately, even that becomes pointless against rival DPS builds such as this single heatsink Atlas build (nevermind the complaints about the heat system, PGI won't do anything about it because so many tears will flow.)

--------

Went through and dug up that match. According to the external cameras the WC was using, his bulky part of the arm is tucked under the side torso and the gun itself never actually clips through anything more than maybe 1% of the barrel. That's so insignificant that it's hardly an exploit.

Side note: That is literally the same concept as the Centurion shield arm from closed beta, a tactic I used a lot of in which the idea is to go fairly slow but advance in a line of 3-4 Centurions, shield up and raised by twisting right and raising the arm to about shoulder height. Then using left CTRL and the mouse, aim for the enemy (and typically the gun appears to be above or below the shield with a very tiny range in which the tip went through the shield -- but no matter what it didn't truly protect your arm due to how wide the mech was, the shield's meant to protect your torso by sacrificing the left arm first,

Combing this with a modestly sized LRM in all 3-4 Centurions also allowed them to both fire the AC (laser in the case of the AL) and the LRM while advancing on an open field such as the old Forest Colony. Due to only having STD engines and STD heatsinks at the time, the effect was a slowly advancing line of overwhelming low-heat firepower. After getting close enough to the enemy, all players in the Centurion firing line would then hit C to straighten the torso and begin firing lasers and ACs only. Said firing line would be supported with Hunchback 4Js or 4SPs lobbing LRMs as stand-ins for Battletech's Trebuchets which weren't in the game yet, to complete a Battletech trope of the Centurion/Trebuchet firing line.

That... god that reminds me of when I really loved this game. Best defense against that was a Dragon Bowling Charge; in which you'd send in Dragons (or later Awesomes) to rush at high speed and ram the Centurions.

Honestly it was the only defense that genuinely worked. That and swarming with 8 lights.

To think I probably could have been in that if Zhizhu didn't pretty much give up on MWO during MWO's dark years.

I don't have footage of the Centurion firing line because at the time frame rates were terrible while recording. But some footage of Zhizhu working together.

under the role of LRM support. The pull to watch is the leadership, communication and the tactics.

Gag fun.

Barney the Cataphract and the mixed fire support lance. (Atlas = tank. Stalker = LRM/laser support. Twin Jagermechs one with twin AC/5 twin AC/2 for DPS and another with quad AC/5 for rapid kills.)

Honestly such ideas are completely unnecessary with a Dragon, though.

More of it, on cold and hot environments.

(Modify the design with current weapons, LMGs instead of MGs, otherwise same behavior and tactics).
Though range is limited, this is a somewhat harder hitting, more reliable design that never overheats and I don't need any tricks to tank... and that's before quirks. After quirks and the new skill tree and this thing not only still holds up but it performs even better.

Also the triple AC/2 is more reliable and less fragile than a triple UAC/2. Sure damage output is reduced in the short run but in the long run it doesn't have to stop firing. UAC/2s are only a good setup when working as part of a team.

These days I run solo and I slug it out with my enemies on my own often away from the team, so the UAC/2 setup would be a liability to me.

Edited by Koniving, 16 December 2017 - 03:39 AM.

#5 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

Playing to Win by Sirlin is still one of the newbie gamer's must read

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

#6 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:11 AM

Wow... That tryhard manual xD

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users